THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Short Notice WY Antelope Assistance??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Notice WY Antelope Assistance??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

I am headed over to visit with my friend in MT from 01-Oct-2011. We were scheduled to go antelope hunting on a (MT) indian reservation. Sadly, the brutal winter seems to have decimated antelope populations, so the tribe decided on short notice not to sell any tags after all. In spite of this presenting a problem due to our well advanced plans, I fully appreciate and support their decision, sustained useage is all about only taking off what the population will carry.

So, it appears MT is out. Any chance of picking up a left-over tag in WY?? Any tag will do just fine - we were intending to hunt does in MT. Any ideas of where one might go - tresspass fees for ranch access would be fine. Have WY antelope numbers also been decimated last winter??

I'm currently trying to access the WY F&G website, but it seems a bit slow in loading. Besides F&G websites are not always that easy to navigate. So bear with me for posing my questions here, please.

No sweat if this does not happen, we'll think of something else to do. On the other hand, it would be fun to hunt antelope just a bit, and my friend's freezer could do with filling up too... Wink

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to Wy leftover over permits.

http://gf.state.wy.us/QuotaAva...lectionCriteria.aspx

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate! That's a start!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
HUNTING SEASONS DRAW NEAR; ELK, DEER AND ANTELOPE LICENSES STILL AVAILABLE

CHEYENNE – The Wyoming Game and Fish Department reports that hunters who did not get in on the drawings this year may still have an opportunity to hunt as a number of hunt areas still have big game licenses remaining.

Licenses are available for both residents and nonresidents.

Many hunt areas have had their quotas filled, but licenses are still available in a number of antelope areas and nonresident deer regions.

The antelope licenses are located mostly on private lands but some of the areas have access through the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Walk-In program.

Many of the deer licenses remaining are for areas with good national forest and walk-in area access as well as private lands.

Most of the elk licenses remaining are for antlerless elk only.

Hunters are urged to research access in areas with leftover licenses, and where necessary, obtain permission to hunt from landowners before purchasing.

Hunters have the option of purchasing the licenses via their home computers, from Wyoming Game and Fish Department regional offices, or by going to license agents that are on the automated computer system.

A listing of agents on the automated system can be found on the Game and Fish website http://gf.state.wy.us.

The website also has a listing of areas where licenses are remaining as well as instructions for purchasing licenses online. Licenses will continue to be sold in each hunt area until quotas are reached.

Hunters who have questions on hunt areas and applying for licenses can contact the Game and Fish at (307) 777-4600.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Tony!
- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be able to help you out south of Gillette if that would be a option. Send me a message if so.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is a list of landowners wanting hunters provided by the WGF. check on available tags, contact one of them, then buy your tag when you get an agreeable land owner.

http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmpr...rAssistanceHome.aspx

hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are the "salt of the earth". Thanks for helping out!

- mike