Find
Notify
Tools

.... I drew a WY tag for ELK
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I got drawn for elk in Wyoming for this fall !! (not something that is very hard to do) I just talked to the outfitter, Rustin at double t outfitters and got the date for our hunt, Oct 5th to Oct 10th.

I have to wait untill June to see if I get drawn for mule deer and antelope as well (I thought that was strange, why not have these draws at the same time ???)

I am realy looking forward to it. I have never hunted elk before and it has been 5 years since I hunted out west. If my luck holds out I will get drawn for mule deer and antelope as well.

Wish me luck

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! thumb What area?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Bridger-Teton area.

Did I mention that I can't wait!!!

It was nice enough outside to practice at 300 yards with my rifle. I plan of "knowing where it hits" out to 450 if possible.

UPDATE...

I just got back. I had a great hunt. The guides , gear and accommodations were all first class.

I shot a small elk on my third day of hunting. I have no complaints. It is my first elk and I had one hell of an experience. I was very impressed with how tough these animals are. I also shot a mule deer and a pronghorn.

Check out the shutterfly link to see the pictures.

http://share.shutterfly.com/ac...?sid=8AZNXDhq3atFGu4

I used my old venerable Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. This gun has served me well over the last 12 years and has made the trip to Africa several times and has killed dozens of animals in many places in the good old USA.

I used Barnes X triple shock 180 grainers loaded to 2950 fps behing 73 grains of H4831 for the elk. I planned on shooting any of the 3 animals with that load but once the elk was down I switched to my other load, 180 grain Nossler Ballistic Tip with the same load. I have always been a Barnes fanatic, however I think the NBT is a great pill for deer and smaller stuff.

CHEERS dancing

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just reading my Eastman's hunting journal and read the story about the father and son bowhunters who had a run in with a griz.

Not trying to scare you or anything, just a heads up to be prepared. Personally, I would carry bear spray and a .44 mag (or however big a pistol you could handle).

Good luck with the hunt. Post some pictures when you anchor MR. BIG!

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote