New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Sierra Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've read quite a bit about the Sierra bullets being "soft". Have you found this to be true with the 338 bullets. They appear tougher than the lighter calibers, but my experience is limited. A friend borrowed my gun (338 Win Mag) and shot a large brown bear with the 250 Sierra...it work very well and was recovered in a near perfect mushroom. I'd like to hear some experiences good or bad using the Sierra 215 or 250 in a 338 Win Mag. Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB check out the 8 page thread on "reloading" about sierra matchkings!

mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<SkiBumplus3>
posted
I was new to reloading before a trip to Africa and used Sierra bullets because the old-timer who was helping had used them on elk and deer for 20 years with no problems. I figured, "What the hell, African animals can't be any different than our's." HUGE MISTAKE.

I harvested 7 animals in 10 days. The range was 20 yards to 70 yards. 250 grain Sierra Boattails. Not a single animal had an exit hole. Not a single bullet was recovered intact. All critters ran at the shot.

Yes, I did recover all animals and a postmortem showed the bullets hit bone(rib or shoulder) and broke into many pieces. The shrapnel took out the lungs most of the time. Pieces of shrapnel were found in about 4 hearts.

However, each animal required tracking for 100 to 1000 yards in very heavy brush. At $300 per day and many hundred dollars per animal I don't need that kind of tension. The blood trail was always very faint. Four of the animals required a second shot.

I will never use Sierra bullets again on any animal smaller than an antelope. Especially on a guided hunt. Why, because of stress and time. I used Woodleigh and Failsafe bullets on my most recent trip to the dark continent. I harvested 19 animals this trip (including bait animals) and had an exit hole in all but one. Blood pouring out of 2 holes is easier to follow and most of the animals moved less than 20 yards.

I slept like a baby knowing a bonded bullet was in the tube every time I pulled the trigger.

Happy Hunting,
Ski+3