THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is there anywhere in the US I can live and buy a moose tag over the counter?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there anywhere in the US I can live and buy a moose tag over the counter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted
Is there anywhere in the US I can live and buy a moose tag over the counter? Other than AK.
I'm sick of this draw excuse I read on all the hunting regulations. In the 70's in Co.I could walk down to 7-11 and buy a tag and go hunting the next day. Back then there were thousands of hunters. Now it's become a rich mans games and very few hunters. What's wrong here.

I'm already having to buy a farm just so I can go get a few silly deer.
I can afford guided hunts but just cringe at the price........
TIA,
Duke

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUKE NUKEM:
Is there anywhere in the US I can live and buy a moose tag over the counter? Other than AK.
I'm sick of this draw excuse I read on all the hunting regulations. In the 70's in Co.I could walk down to 7-11 and buy a tag and go hunting the next day. Back then there were thousands of hunters. Now it's become a rich mans games and very few hunters. What's wrong here.

I'm already having to buy a farm just so I can go get a few silly deer.
I can afford guided hunts but just cringe at the price........

I believe you can buy a CWMU in UT but they are pricey

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
It seems as though there are some pretty easy to draw moose tags available in Idaho. I don't know about quality of moose or if the wolves have taken a toll in those locations.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a landowner tag for 2012 for moose in Utah. WOnt tell you what i paid but wow.SmilerSmiler
They must be doing something right though cuase their booked till 2014.
Good Luck,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems as though there are some pretty easy to draw moose tags available in Idaho. I don't know about quality of moose or if the wolves have taken a toll in those locations.

When I hunted bear out of Elk City Idaho this past September, the outfitter and his wife stated that the wolves had decimated the moose population.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I hunted bear out of Elk City Idaho this past September, the outfitter and his wife stated that the wolves had decimated the moose population.

That seems to be the plan. If the wolves kill off most of the game,we won't be allowed to hunt and the ecofreaks have won.
They rei troduced wolves down here in Arizona and a few years back, the wife and I were camped in the White Mountains on our elk hunt. We'd run into a rancher that lost a cow and was asking if we'd seen it. He had and told him where. A few hoirs ater he came back and said it wasn't there. That night, about two in the morning we we were woke up by the most horrible sounds we'd ever heard. Some animal was being killed in a terrible manner. Whem it finally got light enough we went over to where the sounds had come from and found what was left of the missing cow. There were large dog (wolf?) tracks all around and from the sounds I would guess the cow wan not dead before the began to eat it alive. Frankly, I know nature is cruel but I just as soon shoot every damn wolf as look at one. At least when I shoot my prey, it dies right there. No screaming and bawling for a half hour or so before death ends it's pain.
Later, we saw the rancher and told him where he could find what was left of his animal.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Duke----I don't think you could buy a moose tag over the counter in Colorado back in the 70's. They were introduced into Colorado in the early 80's. They have always been a draw. In the lower 48 every moose tag I know is by draw only. Utah has a few that are landowner but they are going to cost. CB

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
Duke----I don't think you could buy a moose tag over the counter in Colorado back in the 70's. They were introduced into Colorado in the early 80's. They have always been a draw. In the lower 48 every moose tag I know is by draw only. Utah has a few that are landowner but they are going to cost. CB

Sorry in all my frustration I should have stated deer and elk. I have never been moose hunting. I am though 125 years outside outside of the era I should have lived in.
125 years late. Sucks!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I believe OTC tags can be had in Manitoba, Ontario and for sure, Quebec. Don't have to live there but no draws either. I also think both ON and QC are 'party' tags, you need at least one other person to share the tag.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I believe OTC tags can be had in Manitoba, Ontario and for sure, Quebec. Don't have to live there but no draws either. I also think both ON and QC are 'party' tags, you need at least one other person to share the tag.

Left you a message Ann.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The parts of Ontario I hunted call for a party of four for an otc tag. Some farther north areas are available for parties of three.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote