New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Tent Stove
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well my buddy and I decided to go with a tent by Davis. Now we need a stove to keep us warm. Anyone have any experiince with a pellet stove. e do not plann on doing any packing with this tent stove combo. We will dive and set up. I hate dealing with wood and really hate having to get up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire. Does anyone use propane? Ideas guys.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
We have several, the best for holding fire all night is a combination woo/coal stove I picked up at an auction, Heavy as sin, but if you fill it with coal it will be warm till 10 the next morning and it is on a thermostat, The others are good and will hold fire but not as well as this one.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Never tought about using coal. Is it hard to get out west?

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a 14X16 wall tent and have been using a Cylinder Stove. It's been in use for a number years and works great still. We have the water tank and that works as advertised also.

http://cylinderstoves.com/

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to stay away from propane. It puts off alot of moisture.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I was hunting elk early a couple of years ago and I did get away with a propane infrared heater, I had the wood stove for back up. Gillette has 14 coal mines, a couple of my buddies work at mines and they get free lump coal, I think every city has someone that sells coal at least in the Big Horns area and the Powder River Basin

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last hunt in Alaska, we snowmobilled 100 miles from Nome.

The guide had a diesel stove. It worked pretty good.

If you are driving in, and can transport your fuel you might try to find one.

I have used a lot of wood tent stoves.

If you get the wood/air mixture just right they work ok.

If you get one with a flat top you can cook on top of it. Also some of them have a water tank on the side that gives you hot water.

Still with them you must chop or chainsaw wood.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not in favor of using propane inside a tent.
My take is a good cylinder stove is about right for what you want.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I bought my cylinder wood / coal stove at Davis tent. Has a flat top and a water tank on the side. With some coal and hardwood this thing will keep you warm all night. I burn a combo of pine and aspen to get it going but when it is time to bed down I put some oak and walnut and coal in it on the bed of hot pine coals and it works great, get up in the morning and throw some pine on the coals and it roars again until you leave to hunt.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well my buddy and I decided to go with a tent by Davis. Now we need a stove to keep us warm.

You and your buddy could skip the stove and get one of these big sleeping bags made for two.

Cabela's Ultra Deluxe Adam & Steveâ„¢ II Double Sleeping Bag

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I bought my cylinder wood / coal stove at Davis tent. Has a flat top and a water tank on the side. With some coal and hardwood this thing will keep you warm all night. I burn a combo of pine and aspen to get it going but when it is time to bed down I put some oak and walnut and coal in it on the bed of hot pine coals and it works great, get up in the morning and throw some pine on the coals and it roars again until you leave to hunt.

Exactly!!!

One of Us
Picture of Kamiah Kid
posted Hide Post
I use a cylinder stove in my 12X14 wall tent. Works great.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, Idaho | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using various propane heaters in my (12x17) wall tent for many years with no problems. There are some that even have a thermostat which is even better.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote