THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking to hunt hogs and does in the DFW/Tyler area

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to hunt hogs and does in the DFW/Tyler area
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to find a place within a couple hrs in any direction from the DFW/Tyler area. I have zero interest in shooting bucks of any size since all I hunt is meat. So does anyone know of anybody that allows meat deer and hog hunts in that area? I live in Athens which is 30 miles from Tyler so I have no problem going towards the south as well.

Tommy

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might have some better luck posting this on the hog section since you're wanting them too.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are folks that do doe and hog hunts around the state. At this point in time most folks are concentrating on pigs and getting ready for Spring Turkey.

Probably have better luck finding what you are interested in closer in to deer season this Fall.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TommyII:
Looking to find a place within a couple hrs in any direction from the DFW/Tyler area. I have zero interest in shooting bucks of any size since all I hunt is meat. So does anyone know of anybody that allows meat deer and hog hunts in that area? I live in Athens which is 30 miles from Tyler so I have no problem going towards the south as well.

Tommy

Tommy:

I have a place that might help you out. Total is quite a bit larger, but the area we hunt on is about 1300 acres. The rest is leased. However, it is about 150 mi from Athens to the NE, near the Ok/Tx border. We are right on the Bowie/Red River County line, so we actually have 2 doe seasons. I REALLY need a bunch of does shot, especially since I dropped the MLD program a few years back. The Bowie County no permit doe season was and probably will be the first 16 days of the season. The Red River County no permit season is from Thanksgiving Day until the following Sunday (4 days). A hunter is only permitted 2 does period (in both counties, total). If you want to come up here and hunt DOES ONLY the first 16 days, PM me. Hogs will be available, but without putting out corn feeders (or manually if someone is there long enough for them to find it), which I don't normally do, it would be very hit or miss. I think the chances of NOT killing 2 does in the first 16 days, if you hunted a few days, would be nearly zero, but there is no real place to stay, unless you want to camp out. To give you an idea, my daughter during the season will normally see from 15 to 50 deer, both does and bucks, given decent weather conditions, in a morning or evening hunt in a blind which is about 1/4 mile from the county line.

FWIW I made a similar offer to a guy who posts on here from Dallas who has a small place not too far South of me. He elected to not kill deer on his place instead of coming to mine. He finally killed a small buck a couple of years later on his place. To each his own.

The second doe season around Thanksgiving might or might not work, but my family and I and any designated friends would have 100% preference as to blinds, but there are plenty of locations available. We don't have that many blinds on the Bowie County side but I may build some more or pop ups work well. Really don't have to have a blind but otherwise you have to be REAL still. Not that I have anything against them, but I'm not going to allow you to hunt out of a tree stand for fear of you falling and suing me. I don't normally do this, but you will have to sign a liability release before hunting since I don't know you from Adam.

Right now, hogs are everywhere and it will be good from now until about the end of April. If you want to drive up pretty much anytime and shoot one or more (depending on how good you are at follow up shots) then PM me. I'm not out there early in morning but we see fair numbers almost every afternoon. To give you an example, good friend went out yesterday and saw about 10 large pigs and probably 50 football size or larger piglets. He didn't shoot any, I think the Coors Lights interfered with his hunting efforts. Wink No guarantees but I'd be fairly surprised if you came up here now and didn't kill a pig or two. That can change any day, pigs don't have a roost.

To be clear, this is a no BS, no cost offer, but I am not going to invest a lot of time into your efforts, nor am I going to guide you or hold your hand and say "Shoot". My longhorns might get in your way and interfere with your hunting. Cattle are not game and the trophy fee would be fairly expensive. You'll have to deal with that possibility. I'll show you where and how, but after that it's up to you. PM me if interested. I repeat, DOES ONLY for deer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
TPWD is considering expanding the doe days in counties like Red River. I had heard they were talking about having them get the first two weeks like Bowie had in the past. Can't find that info right now.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/business...e_hunting_deer.phtml

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I sent you a PM. My I Pad is being difficult and I want to know if you got the message. Since nothing is ever lost in cyberspace if needed , I will try again. Thanks for your patience, Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Hoover:
Gato, I sent you a PM. My I Pad is being difficult and I want to know if you got the message. Since nothing is ever lost in cyberspace if needed , I will try again. Thanks for your patience, Jerry Hoover

I received your PM and have replied.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Gato,
You are very generous and I regret that decision. I had just bought my place and was excited to hunt it. After a couple years of sitting in my blind and watching squirrels eat my corn, I realized my place ain't that great. I've seen you make that offer to a few people and you are very generous

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

PM sent on this very generous offer.

Tommy

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote