THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I'm looking for a father/son summer hunt in North America

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking for a father/son summer hunt in North America
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a summer hunt in North America for my son and I. He starts back at school on August 25th. I was thinking of an early season moose hunt or maybe a pronghorn hunt.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you give Wade Derby a shout at Crosshair Consulting. He is a great guy to search out such hunts.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
matt christmas - christmas ranch -wagon mound new mexico - big big antelope

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THe only "game animal" seasons open prior to August 25 might be caribou in Northern Quebec or possibly NWT or Yukon; not sure about Alaska.

That leaves "non-game" animals like feral hogs, etc. Also, exotics in Texas like axis, blackbuck, and whatever else private ranches have to offer. For the sheer joy of shooting, few things compare to popping prairie dogs in a well-populated colony. That's what my summer hunting mostly consists of.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above plenty to do in Texas during the summer. I offer Black Buck, Axis, Sika (in velvet in August), Aoudad, Hogs, Javelina, can even do some varmint hunting or fishing on some of those hunts and all above are low fence. Also have preserve hunts.

Happy Hunting

I offer primarily free range hunts and also preserve hunts on 1 million acres across west and southwest Texas for native and exotic game.

www.westtexashunt.com

Please Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 440 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar position when I graduated from college. My dad had promised me a big game hunt in exchange for graduating in 4 years, but because I was entering the military the fall seasons were out. We ended up going to South Africa and had an amazing hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, lot of caribou seasons in AK that start in early august.

Posts: 252 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
pronghorn season starts as early as august 15th. i know a great guide looking to fill a couple of spots in colorado this year, archery antelope starting 15Aug. if you want, pm me and i'll give you his contact info. the best guide ive ever hunted with, knows the animals, and will work his arse off for ya.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
South Carolina whitetail

Enter the draw for alligator in Alabama

Hogs most anywhere in the south

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:
South Carolina whitetail

Enter the draw for alligator in Alabama

Hogs most anywhere in the south

What are the odds for alligator in AL?

Posts: 296 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
California blacktail. Opens 2nd Saturday in August.

Zinfandel and Backstraps!

Posts: 13 | Location: Mendocino County CA | Registered: 07 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep , goats, moose and caribou in Northen BC, Pm me in you want a list of outfitters.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
I suggest you give Wade Derby a shout at Crosshair Consulting. He is a great guy to search out such hunts.

Great suggestion.

Personally, I'd be looking at some of the exotics down in Texas. Plenty of critters to choose from.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Unsure what the odds are, Rich. If I recall correctly, last year, there were about 600 applicants for 150 tags. New procedure this year. Bonus points for the next year for those not drawn this year.

Here is a link to an article explaining the process......

http://www.al.com/sports/index..._alligator_seas.html

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Utah archery mule deer used to open early enough. Read an article about the book cliffs while in high school and 3 friends and myself drove out there and had a great hunt before senior year.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Interested in Black Bear?

Just rec'd. an e-mail a couple of days ago from our outfitter in Manitoba that he has a few openings. Hunt dates would be June 2-6 or the 9-13. Due to the late spring, these might be the better hunts for the season.

If not bear, what about antelope?
Only 3 day hunts and if your school district has MEA break (Oct.), those might work for you was well.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Our deer season for blacktail is open for most of July for archery here on the Central Coast of CA and the rifle season opens on the second weekend of August. Two tags per hunter over-the-counter.

And of course pigs are available anytime so a combo hunt is popular.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an option that I have enjoyed. During the summer here in Idaho there is a dog training season, where hound hunters can run and catch bear then they are released. You could contact a hound outfitter and certainly line up going on these sessions. Long hikes in country most states can only dream of, especially here north of the salmon river. You could combine it with a day trip to fish sturgeon, or maybe king salmon if you don't want to fight an eight foot long fish.
You will get some fantastic close ups of bears and you will learn how to judge bear size. Believe me, bears are the hardest animal to judge the size of. After several days up close with bears, you will laugh like I do when you see photos of hunters with their allegedly 300 pound bears. Lots of color phase bears here. Not many opportunities for catch and release hunting. I have really enjoyed the experience, and maybe you would so there it is.

If hunting to you, is movement, pursuit, searching, and not sitting and sniping, then you may well find this trip very rewarding.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I have 2 spots for spot and stalk bear in NM just a few hours from Amarillo. $2500 per person and it's a blast. Ranch is over 100,000 acres

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Exotics in Texas or pigs anywhere. Free-range axis or Nilgai would be my pick

Posts: 4 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gator hunt in Florida opening week 15 Aug.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
A summer float trip in Alaska for interior grizzlies. Great views and phenomenal fishing. A lot cooler (in every respect) than a summer hunt in Texas.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Blac Bear hunting in Maine opens the third week of August.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote