Notify
Tools

any hunters from hawaii?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
going to be in oahu soon, any hunting?
any tips apprieciated

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Late-Bloomer, he is from the islands.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maui and Hawaii have some great hunting, boar and axis, and a lot of goats.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Another A-R guy to contact is 'geoff' as he lives in Hawaii and has extensive hunting experience (you'd measure the amount of stuff he's bagged by the truck load...and big trucks at that!). I've hunted a couple times with him and he's 100% 'straight arrow' guy.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some hunting on Oahu when I was stationed aboard the USS Willlamette AO-180. On the western side of the island there used to be several really big public hunting area in the mountains. Mostly pigs and wild goats on Oahu. We had to work for them but could usually get something if we were willing to hunt hard.

I drew a Mouflon permit for Lanai while I was there but the ship got underway and I missed that hunt. The also have Axis deer on Lanai. One thing Hawaii has is good bird hunting. Something like 7 or 8 different types of pheasant alone.

One thing you could do is they and get ahold of Eugene Yap. He used to hunt the big island. There is a big ranch called the Parker Ranch that allows hunting. And yiou could look into Niiahuu for hunting. Dont know of anyone hunting Oahu professionally but that may have changed.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to be from there, does that count??

My retirement down the road becons my wifey & me to Kona to live out my days chasin birds on the west side of the island, spear fishin the kohala coastline, and gettin in at least 9 holes each dewy morning! God, I love it there. Be back in June. Its heaven on earth to us.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I worked at Hickam AFB on Oahu for two weeks back in 2007. I spent as much time on the weekend exploring the "back 40" and was pleasantly surprised to see the below sign on a trail that overlooks the city of Honolulu. I never thought that I'd see such a thing on an island as populated. Nice to see a place where the hunters haven't been pushed out by the hikers. Didn't get a chance to hunt, but saw quite a few hogs and chickens all over the place. Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to hunt Ni'ihau April 07. at the time the cost was $1750 for the day, includeing helo ride to and from the island, one boar and one Marino ram. I killed three boars and two rams, leaving them for the hawaiians on the island, had a great time. would do it again if I ever get over
there..google up Niihau Safaris... HTH Les Just checked.. still the same price..

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote