New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Idaho Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got back from John the Greeks Idaho Black Bear hunt.
Had a great trip. I killed a solid black boar with a perfect pelt. He measured 5' 11" nose to tail. I was hunting over bait in a high tree stand. The bait was located in a large rock formation. Bears had "stolen" the 55 gal drum and taken it a couple of hundred yards down the mountain, thus the bait was placed in the rocks.
At 520 PM [on my Birthday [Big Grin] ] I see the Bear climbing up the rocks and heading for the bait. I was using my 9,3x74R Chapuis double with a 286gr. Woodleigh RN Soft, Iron sights. I was about 15 yards from the Bear. As he walked across the rocks I fired the right bbl. It looked like he reacted to the shot, but only for an instant, he quickly spun around and jumped off the rocks, before I could hit him with the left bbl [Eek!] .
The bullet had hit rock and kicked up quite a bit of rock dust and as I heard him run down the mountain I thought to my self..." how could I have shot over him at this distance?...the shot lppked good." He ran for about 3 seconds, then I heard a thump, a sliding sound, and then the sound of something heavy rolling down the mountain, then silence.
I went to the rocks where I had hit the bear and followed his tracks down the mountain. I found him about 30 to 40 yards down the mountain.
I took a few pictures and at about 6PM I started to gut and skin the Bear [I was by myself]. The Bear was in some ricks on a steep slope of the mountain, and I had a heck of a time skinning him. Everytime I moved him around we would slide down the mountain a little [Eek!] . I got done about 1030pm. Walked out where I met the other hunter and some friends of our guide. We walked back in [I had marked the trail] back to the hide and carried it out. It was in such good shape I did not want to leave it in the woods over night.
Based on several pigs and other Bears I have shot I [and the others agreed] estimated his weight at 325 to 350 lbs.
The Woodleigh hit right behind the right shoulder and exited just behind the left shoulder leaving a 3" exit hole. Both lungs were damaged and the top of the heart where the vessles attach was damaged. If he had been on flat ground he would not have gone more that 15 or 20 yards, if that far. I was more than pleased with the performance of the 9,3.
More info on the trip later.

[ 09-28-2003, 22:06: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Pictures, please.

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Well done!

I'd like to see some pics, too...(If you can post them)

5'11" is a really nice bear [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try and post some pictures when I get them back.
I hunted the first four days with my 450 No2 but changed rifles to see if it would change my luck. I had 2 bear tags so after I got the bear with the 9,3 I went back to the 450 No2 but did not see another bear. The other hunter in camp killed about a 150lb bear with a perfect pelt the second day of his hunt. He missed a shot at a bigger bear the same day.
There was about 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground for a couple of days, then it melted away. The weather was perfect. I also shot a few grouse with my wife's drilling [I snuck it out of the house [Big Grin] ] and one with shotshells in my 44 mag 4".
I had such a good time on this hunt I plan to go again next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

Congratulations again! I am really glad your trip went so well as that really is quite a good bear for N. Idaho! It was also nice visiting with you in Salt Lake City and we certainly hope to see you around again!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John and Aleko
"I"ll be back" [Big Grin] I had a good time in Salt Lake City and enjoyed visiting with you and Aleko. [I stopped by on the way to Idaho and on the way back to TX] To all the AR posters, If you get the chance go by Aleko's store [Heritage Arms] he has a very nice store that is set up in a very classy way.
I just got done packaging the Bear meat for the freezer and cooking some for dinner. Bear meat, and the liver, is as good or better than any meat I have eaten.
I stopped off at Jerry Huffaker"s Taxidermy Studio in Abilene TX [AR poster] and left my hide with him to be done into a rug. I had a chance to see some of his work and it is very good. He is a very nice fella and will be helping me get my ducks in a row for my African trophies.
I must say that all the people I have met in person from AR have been first class all the way... This is a gathering of very good people.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the bear!! I second Bad Boy Honda's motion for pics!

I hope to get out for at least two days (all two of them) later this week. Mule deer and bear tag start burning in my pocket. If I bag either one, the rest of October is for sheep! Or work :-(

Frans
www.terrahunt.com

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the YOGIE.........

NE 450 no2, or John-the-Greek, would you send me the particulars on this hunt for next year!

DUGABOY1@aol.com

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAC,

You have email!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37
If you have any specific questions give me a shout.
This is a perfect hunt for a double rifle or even a vintage singleshot. Only one blind was more than 25 yards from the bait, it was about 40 yards, for the most part a scope would just be in the way. The whole area is forest. Be sure and take a shotgun for grouse. It was a fun hunt.
I should have my pictures back in a couple of days, I will post some of them If I can figure out how. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your trip went so well! Ditto the pics....lots of pics. ;D

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote