THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    UPDATE-RANGE REPORT-Would you shoot a black bear with this?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE-RANGE REPORT-Would you shoot a black bear with this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have on occasion taken a gun that is smaller than I would have liked because I can shoot it considerably more accurately due to some feature such as a much better trigger.

You need to think about the style of hunting and your ability to squeeze a shot in the likely shot presentation. In my case it was going to be a big deer about 100yards away that would only stop for a few seconds. I knew I could put a 243 through the lungs every time whereas I couldn't say that with my 06 as it was - not a proper certain shot with good trigger discipline.

Now I have as good a trigger on the O6 and take that!

If there isn't such an issue then taking a lighter rifle on a hunt is understandable if it's a local hunt for a species you've hunted lots before and where you want to try something new but just put yourself in your own shoes if you've just shot at the biggest bear you ever saw in your lifetime, made a reasonable but not great hit (we get excited at such an animal don't we?) and can't find it..... or you didn't shoot at an angle you would have with the bigger gun. It would live with me (if indeed I did live!) for ever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot bear with a .270 and the 130 gr. Nosler, but I have also shot bear with a 30-30 and a 250 Savage and I have never lost one..

The only thing is I have seen more than several instances wherein a bear left no blood trail because of his heavy coat absorbing all the blood..

Based on that, today I use my .338 with 300 gr. RN Woodleighs and I get one hell of a blood trail..

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure IMO....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal30 1906

This old man (78) says Amen! to your praise of proper remembrance of simply great cartridges. I do want to suggest that you also add the anniversary of the 7x57 (7mm Mauser)because I used it on a black (154 gr. load, Hornady)at about 80 yards the first time I ever shot one. I was dumbfounded afterwards to discover that the legendary reputation of the 7mm for penetration was, indeed true. (Bullet hit ribs, lungs and exited into a mudbank where it was retrieved. Bear was a bit over 300 lbs) Anyway, this somewhat rambling message is to say that this retired shooter is glad that there are still some '06 and 270 devotees out there! In this day of Mags and "super" mags, we are a dwindling band of brothers! Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc-absolutely that is more than enough! Anyone who try's to tell you that it isn't just doesn't have much experience.

Now about 650 lb black bears, that it something I'd love to see. I know they can get there out east but I'd sure not be thinking about it in the west.

Nevertheless, have a super hunt!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm taking one of the 270s to the range tomorrow for some trigger time. I have not received my latest shipment of bullets but they should be delivered by Monday. I have some on backorder.

By the way, let me tell you all that Roger's product, Warthog1134 is THE POO on gun cleaning. I will use nothing else from now on. I should get a free bottle for the advertising. Wink

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in this cleaning product. I was looking for something new for me to try, and I was going to get wipeout but....

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
I am interested in this cleaning product. I was looking for something new for me to try, and I was going to get wipeout but....

Forget Wipeout. Borescope observation revealed copper around the throat of a 7mm and 6mm bore after repeated use of Wipeout. It has not impressed me to the degree I expected.

The Warthog1134 worked better than Montana Extreme 50BMG and Butches Bore Shine, and Barnes CR-10. I shot my .06 last Thursday, 20 rounds, came home and it took 5 patches with solvent and 2 dry and it was done. (PacNor bbl).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
I wouldn't be afraid of a .270 on a 300lb black bear. I've only shot one and I could have done it with a .270 Win without any problems. Hell I'd even step down to a 6.5X55 on a blackie, but I'd use a 10 grain heavier bullet just to be safe.

Heck I did! 6.5x55swede 140gr NP 2400fps 350lb bear, it worked

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would use the 270 load if I didn't have a good 30-06 load. But since you probably have a good 30-06 load, I would take that.

But that's just me.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I would/did.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc

Take both rifles.
Hunt with one for a few days, and If no bear, change guns, it just might change your luck. Big Grin thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey doc when are you coming up here again? I have just started to see bears out and about. There is still a fair bit of snow but you should be able to find a decent bear.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use that, but not from 200 yards. Best way to deal with bears is to get as close as possible. Tough to judge the size of a bear from 200 yards. I always try to get right up on 'em, like 50 yards or less, and a .270Win with 130gr Nosler Part would be just fine in my opinion.

Edit:
I should add that I am not a big fan of the .270Win, although I do own one.
The question was whether or not it would work, not my personal opinion of the caliber choice and it will certainly work.
The choice of the Nosler Partition helps a lot IMHO.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it be my first choice ... no. If that's what was ready to hunt, would it be a problem ... no!

Take the .270 and smile!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black bears were routinely shot in my youth with 30-30s and 35 Rems in NY State. The first of several blacks I shot in north central Ontario (Nipissing District) was shot with a 7x57 (7mm Mauser), 154 gr. Hornady. The black bear does not take a bullet well (unlike a white tail who gets hyped up by the adrenalin) Bullet placement, of course, (the magic words)always is the key (Yeah, I agree with you guys who put the bullet in the classic spot on deer - and still had the whitetail run off even if hit -because it doesn't always work (think adrenalin hype) - but my experience with blacks was that they tend to drop, right then and there. I shot them also with a 35 Whelan and with a 35 Remington. Look up the stats for each and all I'll say is that one bear (35 Whelan) staggered about 20 feet and then collapsed. The bear shot with a 35 Remington (200 gr) dropped on the spot. My bear guide (one of the finest woodsmen I ever saw in my life and I have seen a few) told me that his impression was that high velocity bullets were not very good black bear killers. I gathered that it was because the HV bullet seemed to "zip" through the thin skin of the black -without doing much tissue damage. (Of course, a bullet hitting bone will do great damage - but shooting at a black bear is like shooting at a blanket - you just can't see any defined shoulder or ribs) It really seems to come back to the old question - Which is better? - the big slow bullet? - or the small fast bullet. I can only say that my own experience was - a mix of both.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
hey doc when are you coming up here again? I have just started to see bears out and about. There is still a fair bit of snow but you should be able to find a decent bear.

Schmaus, we fly up on the 18th and begin the hunt the 19th. We fly into Prince George. Roy is approx. an hour drive north as I understand it. He did tell my friend that he was getting worried about his first group of hunters that will be there in 2 days b/c of the snow.

What is the bug problem like this time of year? Lots of skeeters?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've been at the range so much the last month or so, playing with 4 different rifles, well, 6 if you count the guy going with me, as I've been loading and shooting his .06 and 300 SAUM also.

I certainly have choices to take on this bear hunt. Just for the sake of brevity, all of the following loads are 0.6" and under for 3 shot groups where most are less than 0.4", thank God.

Ruger 270, 25.5" Hart bbl:
1) 110 TTSX measures 0.285 and 0.335
2) 130 TTSX measures about same

Rem 270, 24" Broughton-Richards bbl
1) 130 Partition, 0.555
2) 130 Solid base, 0.4 and under

Rem 30.06, 22" Pacnor bbl (my traditional bear gitter)
1) 185 Berger VLD, Lapua, 210 match, Varget--SMOKIN LOAD. One holers, I'm very proud. Bullet is seated 0.002 into lands, and plenty of room in DM
2) 180 Accubond, 55.5 Re19/Lapua, 0.25 and 0.29, another smoker!
3) 168 TTSX, 59.0 Re19, 0.4s, but one group was 0.6, but those 3 were new brass I forgot to size.
4) 180 Partition about 0.6s
5) 180 TSX, IMR4064, another 0.4 grouper
6) 168 TSX, H4350, 0.375

That's it. Oh, my friend is taking the 180 TSXs I loaded for him. Luckily, his .06 liked IMR4064 as well, at 47.5 grains. He averages about 3/4" groups, and 2" at 200 yards with a bipod.

I'm very happy with the ease of the past months loading and testing. The Berger VLD really shocked me with its consistency. I have no fear of testing this bullet on a bear. It's already been done several times.