New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo on Airplanes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I understand the regs. on rifles all right but the ammo part confuses me. You are supposed to put it in your suitcase (separate from the rifle) and keep it in the original box or a fiberboard or metal box.

Problem is I handload and buy MTM plastic boxes. Are these legal?

What I have been doing is putting my handloads in old cardboard factory ammo boxes and then putting those (generally two, as I only need 40 rounds or less) in a metal box, which I lock, inside the suitcase. A friend of mine puts his ammo in the rifle case, which I thought was not allowed and which the TSA inspects.

What's the best way to transport handloads? They seem to fall through a crack in the rules.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may place ammunition in your checked luggage. You may not take ammunition into the secure area of the airport. It is a good idea to keep it in a suitcase separate from your firearm. Declare the ammo and firearm to the ticket agent.

Personally, given the level of thievery that goes on in luggage handling, I would FedEx my stuff to myself, at my destination, and FedEx it back when I was ready to come home. If someone rips off your Ruger, you're going to get a pittance from the airline.

[ 12-06-2003, 07:44: Message edited by: denton ]

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MTM boxes are fine. One hint. Put half your ammo in one suitcase and half in another. In case one goes astray. I seem to remember that the suitcases have to be locked after you declare the ammo and the airlines does or doesn't make an inspection. Your best bet will be to call the airline direct and find out how they interpret the fed regs. Also, GET THE AGENTS NAME that you talk to. That's much better than getting some half-assed info like "the level of thievery, etc, etc" here in cyberspace. FedEx sends a good deal of their cargo on passenger carriers so all you'll be doing is adding FedEx's charges to your trip cost. Better to save that money and use FedEx on the back haul when you'll have excess luggage and meat and trophies which the airlines will be happy to charge you an arm and a leg for.
It is true that the airlines have a ceiling of restitution on damage and loss unless you declare a higher value for which there is a charge or buy extra insurance.
I have been flying for over 45 years, business and pleasure, with rifles, fishing tackle, tackle boxes, outdoor gear, camera eq, etc and have never had anything stolen. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but its extremely rare. I was given a tour of the new Denver airport before it opened and they seemed to have more surveilence cameras watching their own people than they do watching passengers. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The MTM boxes provide the required "separation" of the cartridges. Tape the boxes shut and label them ...you are allowed 11 pounds.....

In Minneapolis I was instructed to separate the ammo box from my Tuff Case...In Capetown the baggage people told me to put the Ammo in the same case as the guns!!!

Go figure!!!!

Smile, be polite and leave left over ammo with your outfitter....you might return to use it someday....it is not worth bring home.

Shipping it in advance is becoming very difficult....especially in RSA, however depending on your destination, if you can ship it a couple months in advance to your outfitter, I'D DO IT!!!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go back and forth between the west and the East coast pretty frequently. Over the years I've taken lots of ammo both ways. It USED to be zero problem. Now it varies almost each and every trip.

Its never been a real problem just an annoyance.

I agree on a few points when transporting ammo for a hunting trip. I break it up between all the checked luggage. The one RSA trip where I shot a wildcat, my .338-06 I had my PH take two boxes back to RSA with him after we met in Reno. THAT worked very well. All my ammo showed up fine, and I just left those two boxes with him for a return visit.

For RSA trips I load my ammo in GI .30 Cal cans then leave the cans with my PH as handy little gifts.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thoughts on ammo/gun security while traveling;

although, in most situations i am not a beleiver in trigger locks.... not a bad idea to put them on while traveling. as said above stuff can get stolen. u have an obligation to do everything u can to make sure that a working firearm, registered to u is not on the street. i remove the bolt wrap itin bubble wrap and place in zip lock bag placed inside boot in another bag.

ammo, must be in original box (cardboard not so great for traveling especially for shtogun shells), or a similar (plastic) box designed to hold ammo. so yes your boxes are legal and very suitable. i pack the ammo separte from the gun whether it is allowed or not. the only thing worse than having your stolen gun on the street is u supplying the ammo to go with it. ammo boxes places in duffle inside a boot to protect it.

i have found if u leave bags with a lock on it but unlocked they are good about locking it when they are done inspecting it. if u lock it they will not hesitate to cut the lock off. i have had my ammo taken out of the bag and weighed, as stated above 11 lbs. is the fed' max. they will return to u or confiscate the amount over 11 lbs. i have also found that cases that hold guns vertically instead of laying flat will hold the gun harder/better w/o the closed bolt sticking out the side. like a vise.

don't forget to declare that u have firearms and ammo. failure to declare ammo (hazardous) can be a $10k fine. i think we will all agree that the tsa is not fooling around and the chances of getting away with an infaction are slim. ammo packed loosely in a box will get u a problem. must be packed so they can't move around and possibley detonate. last week in anchorage my freinds bag was detained due to loose 3.5" mags 12 gs shells packed loosely in a fanny pack, confiscated. yes, it was dumb, but he did it anyway.

cold zero [Wink]