Take the poll on RMNP elk culling. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you were supposed to vote for introducing wolves??? homer

Sorry, I'm not being helpful here - I did vote for the hunters Smiler

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Granted, the hunters are "leading" the poll but DAMN, 33 percent for introducing wolves Roll Eyes... What a world full of idiots....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
Granted, the hunters are "leading" the poll but DAMN, 33 percent for introducing wolves Roll Eyes... What a world full of idiots....

Ken....

What do you expect when something like three fourths of the population is comprised of transplants (IDIOTS) from California and the New England area?

If you want to see an "Endangered Species", try to find a fourth or fifth generation native of Colorado. There ain't many of them around, but I happen to be one. My family has been there since before the Civil War. I'd like to see them build a fence around the state and send everyone born in California home.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does it have to be a "all or nothing" thing"? Anyway, according to the screamers, all of the elk had been eaten by the wolves already.
Would it be too far fetched to suggest reintroducing the wolves and balancing both with selective hunting? I don't have a dog in the fight and really don't know.
I do know that you can tell the arm chair biologist that know even less by their shrill voices and their name calling.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
For anyone who hasn't ever been in RMNP, the elk are to a certain extent tame. You'll be driving along and see a herd of 200 elk just camping out in a residential neighborhood at times.

Can you imagine the newspaper headings if they were to introduce wolves to the park?

'We were sitting on our back patio having Sunday lunch after church when a wolf pulled down a yearly elk in our neighbors yard, and ate it before our very eyes. My children are so tramatized!! They can't even sleep because of wolf nightmares now!!'

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I voted for let hunter's shoot the elk and I'm glad to see we are still winning.

If what graybird says is true, I don't think there is a way around getting rid of some of the elk without making it into the paper some how. A semi-tame elk isn't going to be any harder for a hunter to kill than it is for a wolf to kill. The only differnce with the hunter over the wolf is you can tell the hunter when, where, how, and what to hunt. Wolves are less easily governed.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been following this one too closely for awhile now. I'm pretty sure it has been decided that sharp shooters with suppressed rifles and night vision will be used to cull the elk. I know CO DOW is seeking volunteers to help with the culling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see an "Endangered Species", try to find a fourth or fifth generation native of Colorado. There ain't many of them around, but I happen to be one. My family has been there since before the Civil War. I'd like to see them build a fence around the state and send everyone born in California home.

Mac[/QUOTE]

MAC: I have lived in California, Minnesota, Idaho, Colorado, and Arizona. THe Colorado Liars that call themselves "Native" are the most arrogant.

Did you say what Native American Tribe you are from? or are you an immigrant like the most of us?

You are probably a nice guy, with solid conservation ethics, and I just need to ask all of us to focus on the real enemy: antihunters, not the perceived enemy: outsiders.

Jameister from the west.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greybird, maybe that could be the first step in having the little nippers learn that Disney lied about how nature really is.

Especially if the story ended with: "we chased the wolves away and got a hind quarter and some back strap for ourselves". clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They really need to let hunters take care of this. Introducing wolves is very much like someone has mentioned here on AR as "government sponsered terrorism". Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jameister

quote:
Did you say what Native American Tribe you are from? or are you an immigrant like the most of us?

My bloodline is Arapaho. Thanks for asking. And by the way, the Arapahos were the native tribe in eastern Colorado and Western Nebraska. Along with the Pawnee, they were the original inhabitants. The Souix, Crow, Brule, Blackfoot and Flatheads were to the north of us. The Utes, Apaches, Pimas, Navahos and the Comanches were to the south.

Here's my biggest complaint against all the recent, within the last 30 years or so, transplants to my home state:

The first thing they want to do is make it like the place they just left. If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard somene say "That's not how we used to do it in California" or "This is the way we did it in New York", I may not be rich, but I'd have a hell of a pot of money.

Look at some of the issues facing the state of Colorado right now:

Pine Beetle out of control because a bunch of tree huggers have moved in and we haven't been able to harvest a natural resurce in over a quarter century.

Elk herd out of control and we can't allow licensed hunters to control it, instead they want to bring back wolves. There was a reason they shot out the wolves in the first place. Ever notice how the people that want the wolves brought back don't live in the area where they would have to contend with them? I'd like to put some wolves and grizzly bears in LA and NY.

Traffic congestion into the mountains because they all want to get into their SUV's and go skiing, but don't want to approve building more roads etc...

Deer and elk without proper winter range because someone decided to build condos on it for the view.

Water becoming short, but we can't build anymore resevoirs or lakes because we might flood out a mouse. But they all insist on having Kentucky Blue grass lawns and swimming pools. We have farmers in north east Colorado getting their wells shut off and their livlihood taken away, but the transplant gets to keep their swimming pool and golf couse in Denver.

None of these problems were caused by the old time locals. They were all caused by the recent transplants.

I have been stationed in 4 different states since I joined the Navy and not once have I ever went into a state and tried to change it into Colorado. I wish the transplants to Colorado would remember that the state isn't California or New York or Michigan and they shouldn't try to turn it into them. There was a reason they left those places in the first place.

Let us handle our western problems in a western manner.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Mac,
My full concurrence with what you've written. I'm a transplant to Colorado, but children and grandchildren were born here. I retired from the AF hoping things wouldn't change much, but, unfortunately, they did.
My favorite bumper sticker is:
"They call it tourist season, how come we can't shoot them?"

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Wolves are definately NOT the answer. Just look at the problems and the millions of dollars that the Yellowstone wolves have cost the states surrounding that mismanaged Park.

I voted to use hunters as a management tool to control the elk overpopulation and maybe bring some revenue to Colorado DOW and/or the Park Service instead of creating a problem that will cost those agencies millions of dollars in the future.

And btw MAC, I too am a 5th generation Colorado Native, only I left the crowds 33 years ago for Montana.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac

Where all transplants from somewere just because the indians arrived first does not make them native.

If you want to get away from people Alaska has plent of empty cabins in the bush that have been left by transplants after one winter give it a go. thumb

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US1,

May just look up north. But I have to give the Navy 2 more years to retire.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if I will be able to return to Colorado. It sure isn't the Colorado of my mis-begotten youth, that's for sure. I sure wish it could be like it was in the mid 70's when I was starting High School.

Some folks call it progress, but I don't see it that way.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am going to Alaska!

Unless some woman get's her hooks into me in a big way. I would have a hard time moving back to Riverton or Casper, WY. Too many damn oil field rednecks screwing up the place.

I'd really like to move to the Yukon, but I don't think those bastards up there will let me.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote