New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best rubber boot repair goop??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kinda fiddling with my stuff getting ready for Wis deer season and noticed my 3 yr old rocky all rubber knee boots have cracks through the rubber in a couple of spots. Anyone use any kind of goop lately that realy did the job on repairs??? (feel a little dumb with this post but hate to spend $50 every 3 years when the rest of the boots are perfect)

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Amazing Goop Household contact adhesive and sealant from the makers of Shoe Goo. It comes in a purple tube and is better than Show Goo. I've used it on rubber boots and it's great.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought on this subject.
The fix Red suggets will probably get you through this hunting season, but it's a band aid. Rubbing alcohol will add some more life to the rubber in your boots, much like putting it on windshield wiper blades
Ozone causes the cracks and deterioration in rubber. You might want to invest in a good (expensive) pair of rubber boots in the future as they will last far longer than the $50 boots you have now.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Aquaseal with good results.
If you want your boots to last, I suggest:

Clean well and make a heavy application of Armorall after hunting season.

Store in a plastic bag with as few folds as possible.

Store in your house away from extreams of temperature and away from motors and other sources of ozone.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Albert:
I've used Aquaseal with good results.
If you want your boots to last, I suggest:

Clean well and make a heavy application of Armorall after hunting season.

Store in a plastic bag with as few folds as possible.

Store in your house away from extreams of temperature and away from motors and other sources of ozone.

Good advice!!!

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've used RTV silicone for a temporary fix, it will last a couple of months. I had a guy tell me that melting a rubber worm with a lighter and placing it on the cracks works for a while.

I can get about 8 years out of Lacrosse rubber boots with fairly heavy use by just placing them in a cool shaded area.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are really right about cleaning and storing cause that's what "got me". I had a really bad wetspot in my back yard this spring and had to mow in there. I could not go through with the tractor but got in there with the push mower and my boots on. Apparently I didn't know if I'd have to go back in there another time so I put my boots under a bench and forgot about them..all full of grass and lawn juice. When I found them this fall the tops of the boots had folded or fallen over to the sides and the cracks are right where they "folded" in the ankle area. ANOTHER LIFE LESSON LEARNED!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote