Find
Notify
Tools

Mule Deer and Moon phases???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
I wanted to know if anybody has any experience with moon phases. This past weekend in Idaho, the moon was so bright and full, some people called it the sun. I didnt see any shootable bucks this weekend. I just wander if the older more experienced bucks do all of their traveling in the moonlight and stay put during the day? any comments with this?

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I think it does cause some changes to the routine. They will still get up and move around a bit but I don't see much at daylight when it's a full moon. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...compared to the roe deer in EU - mho they corespond to the moon quite a bit - especially in the heavy hunted areas - if you follow the moon phases eg. moon rising (moon rises in the afternoon and sets in the night) - hunting would be better in the mornings...tho when moon descent (it comes out late in the night and sets in the morning) deer would go for cover early in the morning (even pre daylight) hunt would be better in the evenings...and when fool moon the day hunting tends to be at its worst...

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a bright moon they can more easily feed through the night and then hide during the day !