Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me.

Sorry, I'd had a shitty day.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Rob, I've always heard if the Buck will net the minimum score, he was "Book" material. It didn't matter how you got him as long as it was legal. If you found him months later, you still got him legally. How much did he net?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
I green scored him 164 using the B&C measurements card. I haven't got a response from the B&C guys here to get it done by them but I'll keep after them.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought 154 grain interbonds for my 7mm Remington for my elk hunt this fall. To practice, I used them to shoot 10 whitetail does using crop damage permits. All 10 were one shot, and honestly I was surprised that the interbonds did not expand enough. Every one, from 20 yards to about 150, punched little holes completely through the deer, did not recover any of them. So from that I feel they should be good for elk but too well constructed for deer. Sounds like everyone has a different experience though....as with every other product discussed on these message boards. Has anyone ever read about some bullet, rifle, etc that EVERYONE thinks is perfect?

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Possible that the 154 gr is a bit better constructed. I sure they built it for the 7mm RM and above. I only know of the 139 gr.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Catfish, my wetpack tests show the 154grIB to hold together well, but the expansion is so great it severely restricts penetration. Fine for 120# doe but I wouldn't want to trust it getting through a bull elk on a 1/4ing shot @ close range. I think they would be great for cross canyon type shots but?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WyoHunter
posted Hide Post
I used the 139 gr Hornady Interbond in my 7MM RM to take an 8 point whitetail in 2003with great results. The deer was quartering away at 120 yards and went down immediately upon impact. The bullet exited the far shoulder leaving a two inch exit hole. The deer weighed approximately 140 pounds. The Interbond shot accurately in my Rem 700. I've also used the 150 gr Nosler Partition with complete success on whitetails, mule deer, mt. goat and antelope.
Any reasonable cartridge using a well designed bullet with proper shot placement will make an efficient deer getter.

Be proud of each and every game animal you kill - big, small or no antlers!
NRA LIFE Member

Posts: 65 | Location: Central Wyoming, USA | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauser96:
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
I hit a whitetail at 25 yds in the shoulder at 3250 fpswith my 7mm RM.

The bullet isn't your problem. Your choice of cartridge is. Roll Eyes

Agreed.

You guys are FUNNY! The cartridge can't be blamed for placement or poor tracking skills.

The bullet fired from any gun needs to be able to handle how it's going to be used! A 25 yard shot from a mag anything into shoulder bone riuns the whole shoulder and will destroy most bullets. The bullets that withstand this abuse won't do much more than pencil through at longer ranges. Why not take a neck shot at this range? Or use a heavier slower bullet if hunting heavy cover? At close ranges you could switch between the 175gr and then back to 140's if you happen to get into the open ground on the same trip. You need to know exactly where the gun shoots and put the bullet where it will work. The bullet is what makes things die. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Rob, I have no doubt bad things happen to good people and your tracking skills and ability to hit where you aim I know nothing of. You may be the greatest at both. I just think people are quick to destroy a reputation with a keystroke rather than looking at the actual situation and results.

Keep using the 7 mag with whatever bonded bullet shoots best from your gun and the results will rarely be as poor as this situation. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used the 139 gr interbond on deer this year. This bullet is too soft for my tastes. I hit a whitetail at 25 yds in the shoulder at 3250 fpswith my 7mm RM. The bullet smashed the shoulder but did not penetrate enough.I followed a blood trail and found pieces of bone but no deer. We found him two months later over 150 yds away.The 8 pointers horns measured 164 inches but can't be put in the book because it was found and not checked.I'm shooting Accubonds next year.

Rob and HotCore.............you wonder why we say caliber choice was the problem.......?..........why would anyone choose a bullet that would create an impact velocity of 3250??

I know we can't always choose our ranges/shots................but why not go heavy for caliber, and slow things down?? This craze for velocity is what fucks things up, time after time.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
If you guys read what I wrote later. I expected a shot of no less than 100 yds. The bullet in question is rated by Hornady to be used from 3500 FPS as stated in their manuel.I had read good things on this site about the bullet taking elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug, I was using the interbond this year.I have used the interlock with great success in the past.

One more update. I hunted again this past Thursday night (3/31) and took two more whitetails with 180 gr. Speer Grand Slams (65 gr of Win 760 powder). This bullet performs!!! One shot was taken quartering to me at 175 yds. The bullet went in behind the shoulder and out the rear hind taking everything in its path including the hip bone. The second deer was taken through the chest - clean with one shot.

The bottom line, I am through with the Interbonds.

doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you able to hunt deer this late in the game? Do you have a depredation permit?

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I don't like being forced to change my shot because the animal is to close - to far, whatever. My Elk load, I expect to perform from 25 to 400 yards. Any load will perform with a perfect placement, but I expect performance with less than perfect placement. This is hunting, and the unexpected will eventually happen. With any hunting load, price is my lowest consideration. For this case, I love the 140 failsafe. Its a tough bullet, and you own't have to worry about lack of penetration. It may be a overkill 95% of the time, but the other 5% is why I like it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monticello:
How are you able to hunt deer this late in the game? Do you have a depredation permit?

Not exactly a depredation permit - CWD eradication. The hunt here ended on March 31 for landowners in the CWD eradication zone. This area is located in south central Wisconsin.

Beyond March 31, "sharpshooters" will continue the hunt through the summer (my understanding).

What I can tell you is that this three letter word is a life changing event on all fronts. Maybe I'll post a longer piece here at some point in the future as to how CWD has impacted me personnally and others in the area here.

doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in hearing about it because I have fortunately never had to deal with it.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monticello:
I would be interested in hearing about it because I have fortunately never had to deal with it.

CWD? Before February 2002, I didn’t really pay much attention to it or care much about it. On February 28, 2002, the first cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) east of the Mississippi were reported by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a nervous system disorder that infects its victim, in this case Odocoileus virginianus aka whitetail deer, and leads them to a sure death. The nanoscopic offender, a prion, slowly eats away the brain leaving it like hunk of swiss cheese. The infected deer slowly wastes away and dies a horrific death.

For more information, the Wisconsin DNR website has a pretty good compilation.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/whealth/issues/CWD/

doug