Hunting in Mexico
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How does hunting work in Mexico?
Specifically:
1. are guides required.
2. what are the seasons.
3. difficulties in bringing weapons into Mexico.
4. internet web sites for more information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do yu want to hunt in Mexico. I just came back Jan 9 th. I was coues hunting in Chihuahua.
We flew into Chihuahua and the Army was there to inspect our guns. We had to get a permit, two guns , 100 rounds of ammo ,no bigger caliber than a .300 . No pistols at all.We had to have them inspected on the way home too.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser it sounds like you hunted on your own?

What kind of deer did you find/take?

Thx

Mark D

I am a big time nut case for those small whitey's.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does hunting work in Mexico?
Specifically:
1. are guides required.
2. what are the seasons.
3. difficulties in bringing weapons into Mexico.
4. internet web sites for more information.

1. No

2. Depends on what your hunting.

3. Can very very difficult if you dont know what your doing. I would work through the Mexican landowner to make sure that everything is in proper order. We have not had any problems that are catastrophic, minor delays are all.

4. Dont really know of any site that give a guy step by step instructons on how to hunt Mexico on their own.

All I would add to this is that the majority of the horror stories that you hear about Mexico are from guys that are either just starting out running hunts down there or the guys that are trying to cut corners and save a few bucks by doing it themselves and did not do enough homework for proper paperwork, transportation permits and import/export paperwork. It seems like every year the laws change a little bit, you need to stay on top of things and that can be very difficult if you live in the states and/or dont speak spanish. PM me or email me at huntsonora@comcast.net if you have any questions

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with a hunting partner , we used an outfitter El Halcon for Coues and Mule deer.
They took care of all the paper work.
This is a super Coues Outfitter.I shot a 94 3/8 ths coues my first . I missed a smoken nontypical the day befor about a 115-120 ,had a plamated antler on one side and 3 long spikes on the other very high shot 2" over his back at 300 yds there very small critters.Just plain missed.My buddy killed a 98 3/8ths coues.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know where a Mule deer hunt is for $3300 in SONORA. 5 Days hunting.I am going next year.
First week of January.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I pay more that that for just the permits on my ranches, I would be very leary, if it sounds to good to be true....

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am for darn sure with Drum on this one, I've spent some time down in Sonora both as a hunter and as a guide.

$3300 is something I can't be imagine being good money spent.

But, you never know...

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This outfiter is mostly a sheep outfitter but does some Mule deer hunts . He and his partner are Wild life managers and Ranch Cattle Managers. I have seen pictures of the deer taken and the take some smokin Sheep , but thats out of my leaque $ 55,000 .The head man does alot of paper work for other outfitters ,
the gun permits and Licenses .

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
What is the going rate for a guided hunt down in Mexico for a mule deer/couse deer hunt? Looks like I will be going across the big pond later this year and be back some time at the end of August of next year. So I will hopefully have pocket full of money and would like to go hunting down there. I would not be able to plan anything until I get back from over there. Also can you bring the meat back from the hunt. Thanks.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most Coues hunts are $ 4000 ---$6500
Most Mule Deer are $6500 --- $8500
I paid $3750 for Coues and $3750 for Mule deer
in Chihuahua. Sonora is always higher.
Meat I don't know, ask DroumondLinsey he might know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
323-you could bring the carne (meat) back but it is not worth the trouble.

Plus it is normally understood that it is to go to the guide in the Sonoran camps that I've worked.

IMO it is top notch and you would be wise to have a night of chops at camp.

Mark D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Mark said, its possible to bring it out but would be a royal pain in the butt. Its customary to leave it with the mexican guides and cowboys on the ranches, they need it much more than we do and rutting desert mule deer is not the best table fare. I will say that the absolute best big game meat I have ever tasted was desert bigorn on the coast of Sonora. UNREAL!

Drummond

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drum- my personal tastes are for Coues chops, but the sheep I had down there (I guided for a couple of hunts) was also fairly good.

To me the straps from borrego was tougher than the straps from venado.

But then again, I would always prefer a game steak in Sonora over any and all steak houses this side of the border.

Mark D

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

My thoughts exactly! Sonora is my home away from home! The borrego strap we ate was butterflied and the cook put thinly sliced apples in it, rolled it back up, tied it together and slow cooked it on the grill with a roasted apple chipotle salsa over the top, it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The fact that the ram grossed over 180" helped a bit I am sure, it was a magnificent sheep and it was amazing to watch a 78 yr old man complete his lifelong dream of a slam.

Drum