New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off Topic - Kansas vs. Missouri
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will be moving to the KC area and am wondering when it comes to hunting deer, turkey and especially waterfowl would there be any advantages to living in either state?

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For waterfowl, Eastern KS vs Western MO, I'd pick eastern KS. I used to hunt a ducks there a lot along the Kaw River in the 80s
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I'd live in Kansas and hunt both. Missuori's out of state license is relatively cheap and if you live in Missouri it would be harder to get a Kansas license for Deer.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really hunting related, but Kansas has no CCW.....I'd want a CCW if I lived and worked in the KC area!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until very recently, I have lived in Missouri my entire life. As far as where to live, I think most of KC, Kansas is nicer than KC, Missouri and problably has better schools.
However, as far as hunting, MO has KS beat in my opinion. Missouri seems to have a much better mix of timber and cultivated land allowing animals to take advantage of the large mast found in MO every year. KS for the most part is prarie and cultivated fields with little timber.

Northeast MO has what many people think is the best turkey hunting in the country (eastern variety of turkey).

The deer hunting is likely to be very similar in KS and MO. Both states have large grain crop production and very large deer which dwarf the tiny runt deer which inhabit Georgia where I currently live. The deer south of the Missouri river tend to be smaller than those north of the river.

Upland game. Give this one to KS. Quail and pheaseant populations have been pretty poor for many years in MO. I think KS is supposed to have excellent quail hunting.

Cottontail is good in both states.

ducks/geese: no experience in either state

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I live about half-way between Tulsa and K.C. I have no experience hunting Kansas, but can tell you that there is not much diffirence in the landscape or game until you get well into the flint hills (about an hour drive west of the state line).
Northern Missouri deer are bigger than southern and you can chalk that up to the corn production. Missouri turkeys are (atleast where I am at) overpopulated as well as the deer. Last year they offered unlimited antlerless tags for $5.00 apeice for residents.
Just north of me around Butler (one hour south of K.C.) there is a considerable amount of wetlands managed specifically for waterfowl. I don't do much waterfowl hunting but I hear it is pretty easy to get your limit.
While upland birds are more abundant in Kansas, because of a greater amount of native grasslands, their numbers are declining, while Missouri's are on the rise.
Check out each states wildlife site, that should give you a pretty good idea of the hunting opportunities. A google search for Missouri Department of Conservation will find one.
I like MO, but I live here and living this close to the line there is a little bit of rivalry.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote