Crummiest Current Gun Writers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This hasn't been discussed in a while.

I nominate:

Mark Keefe at American Rifleman
Just about everyone at Guns and Ammo except for Garry James

Of the current guys I like John Taffin and Terry Wieland. Jim Carmichael has always been a favorite also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boddington. Too much volume and very little substance.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JC

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Open up a American Hunter and pick anyone.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry Wiehshum Thompson arms flack

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You mean the "American Rifleman" has become a magazine about guns . . . Oh I just checked, no it hasn't. Go back and look at "American Rifleman" from the past (70 and before) and one would be disappointed in what it is today.
Several others are the same and I quit reading "American Handgunner" when the editorial change ruined most of the writing I enjoyed. Probably still the best of the "Gunzines" of today, but the net has better writers that do not have to weave 5-10 commercials into their story, just write the facts . . . AND a few opinions thrown in.

Individual writers, I don't enjoy any "Gunzine" enough to pick a particular writer,

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Boddington. Too much volume and very little substance.

I disagree. Craig Boddington is probably the most knowledgable guy out there especailly when it comes to African game. He has many rivals but none more experienced.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Boddington. I only get the "Rifleman" any more and am kinda locked in for life to getting it. When Jeff Cooper died I had no reason to read G & A and the rest are just advertising for the latest Powderburners. I do like to read Bart Skelton sometimes

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While I've read a few select articles since then, I quit subscribing to any hunting magazines years ago.

I grew tired of the incessant marketing hype.

When Bob Milek left us, the quality of the articles out there took a dramatic tumble.

Today, what you have is an abundance of individuals with a laptop, a cell phone, digital camera and the title of gunwriter. True writing skills and actual experience and expertise are non-existant in many cases.

The same trend can be seen in newspaper journalism as well. And much of that can be attributed to the age of technology, as some tend to affectionately call it.

Granted, there are still a few talented individuals who can turn out clean and interesting copy without the aid of MSWord and spellcheck, but they are now few and far between.

As for me, if I want to read flowless text featuring abrupt interjections of random facts, I'll pick up the dictionary... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
All the current crop are dredging bottom.

I'll have to say That I agree with Guillermo on Ross Seyfried. When he was writing, I enjoyed reading his stuff.

I really miss Finn Aagard, too.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
MI OPINION: (IS JUST THAT,DONT GET ME WRONG ! NO OFENSE TRY!!!)

ROSS SEYFRED, IPSC CHAMPION,RIFLE REVOLVER AND PISTOL EXPERT SHOOTER, PH, WORLD WIDE HUNTER, GUNSMITH, CARTRIDGES DEVELOPER, BIG BORE AND SHOTGUN SHOOTER, WRITER, RELOADING EXPERT!!!

(ONLY HE DIDNT WRITES ABOUT SELF DEFENCE, CQB, MARTIAL ARTS AND KNIVES)

DID C.BODDINGTONG DO ALL THIS ? AND FIGHT ANY WAR ? OR JUST WAS IN THE COMMAND CHAIN ?
ONLY RIFLE SHOOTING TESTS, HUNTING ARTICLES BASED IN EASY OR SOME CANED HUNTINGS (SUDAMERICAN DIAMOND AWARD) MERCHANDISE PROMOTION (SWAROSVKY, SUREFIRE, ETC..)AND NOW BORING DVDS BASED IN SULLIVAN´S BUSSINES IDEA ?

REGARDS; GUILLE.

Review this....

http://www.craigboddington.com/bio.htm

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Boddington's a good guy.

But at least some of his hunts appear to be of the "canned" variety, or at least of a type which we mere mortals are not allowed to enjoy. (Ask him about his FEBRUARY elk hunt on the NRA Whittington Center.)

Heck, maybe he's a great guy.

But his writing is still stilted and formulaic.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find Boddington to be worth reading even though he isn't the greatest writer. (O'Connor has that one nailed) So many of the others seem to be one hunt experts or pr shills. He can also be refreshingly modest, as when on "Tracks across Africa" he mentions that he just can't make that brain shot on elephant after downing a beautiful tusker almost in it's tracks.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
+1 for Boddington. I only get Am. Hunter, Eastmans, and Rifle.

The worst by far is Duane Thomas! He's a flake.

coffee

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clair Rees does not exactly produce stellar stuff...

I like Boddington and Barsness.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
john snow editor of outdoor life

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see these type of threads I wonder how much of a part the green eyed monster is playing...

How many of us can relate to the sacrifices many of these dedicated guys (and gals) have made to do what they love?

It's a free market, if any of us can do better there's room for more. I've tried my hand at it just enough to gain some serious respect... even for the so called "bad" ones.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Worst writers and know it alls:
Most of us on AR Big Grin

Whether you like Craig Boddington's writing or not (I do) I would never be critical of his service to our country. Maybe something was lost in translation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it would be easier to write about the good ones!

+1 for Bob Milek

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the writers are good guys but the magazine controls a lot of what they write plus those companies that give them stuff or sell it to them cheap. You never see anything bad about guns that do not perform. No more reloading tests are done extensivily, too much done with factory loads. Most of them can't shoot for beans. They test big bore hunting revolvers at 20 yd's. Guns that are not advertized in the magazines are never tested.
Too much marketing control. Too many trophy hunts instead of normal hunting like the rest of us have to do. Then they push the outfitter.
The good old days are gone, look at the rag Handloader has become! Five minutes of flipping pages will give you the whole content.
It's all about money and glossy pictures with zero content. Too much about carry guns and black rifles for police and the military. Look at the prices of the guns they show, none of us can afford them.
I miss Ken Waters and the old time writers that had to go out and hunt and didn't make excuses for shooting a doe.
I have grown to hate horn hunters and those that raise them like fat cattle.
And why is every book packed with stuff about .223's and .308's?
Why is every hunting movie packed with TC guns?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't picked up a hunting mag outside of African hunter and Sports Afield in the last 10 years that were worth a crap.
They are all simply promoting whatever whoever it was sent them on a free hunt with. And Boddington is one of the worst. His writing is simply the most droll predictable boring drivel available.
I can outline one his stories in four sentences they never change. even the words he uses to create them are lacking in any imagination or spark.

Here it is.

1. A brief synopsis of the area hunted.

2. An explantation of the free guns and ammo used.

3. A brief and very cursory description of the hunt and the kill. Always leaving out any detail of anything that may be even remotely interesting.

4. A praise for whatever crapola rifle and ammo he was sent to write about. No matter the quality they are always good when a hunting mag writer gets a hold of it.

The rest of the pack closely follows in his foot steps.
Basically the whole hunting mag industry with a few exceptions has become one huge bowl of politically correct marketing mush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I have voted with my pocket book and don't buy any of the magazines. I got myself into the NRA for life so I don't feel like I can cancel the "Rifleman". I wrote and called "G&A" (and did the same with the NRA) and told them that their adds for "Sex Self-help videos" and "Male Enhancement" were not welcome in my "Gun" magazines and that if they didn't find some other way of supporting themselves through advertising that I was going to cancel. I've been married 32 years, fathered three sons, and don't need any sexual self-help or enhancement. What I need is honest, unbiased, down-to-earth "Gun and Ammo Information" not information on stuff to make my pecker bigger and what to do with it.

They evidentially didn't need my $$ per year.

I remember an article that Finn did one time and he used a goat carcass to show the effects of what he was writing about. I can remember thinking at the time about how brilliant that was because it was "REAL". I can just see one of the magazines doing that now days. They'd have five pages of apologies in the next issue saying that no goats were harmed during the writing of the article.

I am fortunate that I had some real good teachers in the firearms department and that I grew up in a time when gun writers wrote about guns and were not necessarily trying to sell something. I can use these and other forums to pick and choose information about anything I need to find out quicker than reading a magazine. My knowledge base is such that I can separate the BS from the real info and proceed with caution.

Younger guys coming up now don't really have that going for them. All they've got is the rags that are available and videos that show what the advertiser wants to show. They are getting a view of Hunting and Fishing form the "What kind of stuff do you have" angle instead of the "Hunting and Fishing" view.

I remember reading an article years ago about a guy who killed a charging Polar Bear with a 300 Savage and he was very pleased with the performance in that the bear folded on the last shot he had in the magazine. Can you imagine any of the rags today running an article like that? I have to wonder if I would go sort out Polar Bears with my 300 Savage or are my apprehensions fueled by the current hype that I gotta have something newer and bigger to get the job done. I've shot a couple of deer with a 300 Savage and I'll tell you the deer never complained about it.

We (gun people) are being attacked on all fronts by a multitude of foes. The antis are slipping around attacking ammo and components now and those who sell us guns, ammo and components are happy to have the rise in $$$. There are mega companies taking our $$$ to sell us the latest and greatest clothing and gear in all shapes, sizes and color patterns. All I had growing up was the Sears Roebuck and (my favorite) "Herters" catalogs. I got most of my gear at the "Army/Navy Surplus Store" and went hunting on a shoestring.

Oh Well, time to stop complaining and go to work.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
Too much about carry guns and black rifles for police and the military.

+1 thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read a great number of books recently by mostly African oriented authors. I have read several "gun" books as well. As far as magazine writers go, I have a problem with any of them that are touting products regularly regardless of the product.

I like Craig Boddington and respect his work. However, I have a hard time believing he actually would choose a Ruger rifle or a Trijicon scope if he could use what he truly believed in. In his Boddington on Buffalo DVD, he touted Dakota rifles and Swarovski scopes. In other venues, he touts other stuff. Now, I have not tested all of the other stuff, so I am not sure if he is really passionate about Rugers and Trijicons, but I doubt those would be his first choices.

And then again, maybe he does not really care what he uses as all products work well....

Another writer I tire of is Walt Prothero. I have read his books and several of his articles and his lack of substance is mind numbing for me....

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Whenever I see these type of threads I wonder how much of a part the green eyed monster is playing...

Triple dittos Kyler. You nailed it. I think most people are jealous of what the writers get to do for a living.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go a head crucify me !!! I am a Man that preffer constructive critics than flatteres guys. Regards Guillermo.

Don't worry about it Guillermo. From what I have read of your posts you are a man of integrity and every one is entitled to their opinion.

What does bug me is posters who think their position is the only one and if you disagree you are sub human.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
A vote for Jon R. Sundra as a good one.

I'll take Boddington, but I agree his writing is cookie cutter. Editorial constraints may limit what he can say. His formula gets him printed seemingly everywhere, every month, so it works.

I'm sure he's had success with Ruger and Trijicon. He probably would choose Swaro and Dakota given the choice.

I love Mausers, but hunt with other makes with equal satisfaction. I have no problem with Craig on that.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Alan-

Very well stated!!! thumb

Thank you...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WyoJoe:
quote:
Go a head crucify me !!! I am a Man that preffer constructive critics than flatteres guys. Regards Guillermo.

Don't worry about it Guillermo. From what I have read of your posts you are a man of integrity and every one is entitled to their opinion.

What does bug me is posters who think their position is the only one and if you disagree you are sub human.

I consider Guillermo a friend and the fact that he and I sometimes disagree is what I enjoy about his honest friendship. And I will tell you all that he is one of the most ethical hunters I know. He truly believes in the concept of "fair chase," and would take heart in the book Jim Posewitz wrote some years ago; Beyond Fair Chase
http://www.idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/hunt/fair.html

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I for one am unabashedly jealous of what the gun writers do for a living. I'm jealous of Boddington, Sundra, Rees, Weishun- all of them! Blame the publishing companies, not the writers. For all we know the writers turn in articles that say all we want to hear but the fact is that the editors will print what the $$$ people in the sales office tell them to.

The other thing that cracks me up is that there are complaints that real people can't afford the stuff that's reviewed then there are complaints that Boddington might actually like Ruger rifles! Which way do you want it? Do Dakota rifles make animals more dead? Is it so inconceivable that a Ruger or T/C might appeal to them?

YOU may not need or want to see the ads for the "male enhancement" products but obviously some readers do. The ads wouldn't be there if the advertizers weren't paying the bills through them. It's a simple economic reality, the ads wouldn't be there if the readers weren't buying the products.

Rant off.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear The Slug,
That was one of the better rants on AR in awhile. You contained yourself well.

My issue with the various writers is that it is hard to tell when they are telling the truth or sugar coating things to avoid offending advertisers and product makers. I just like to read the "truth" when I can.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slugger, you're right on of course. The folks selling the male enhancement stuff made the magazines an offer the couldn't refuse ($$$$$$$$$) or else the major rags simply bought the publishing company (which happens). They are selling something that people buy. I expect to see those adds in some magazines but would think that there would be some integrity left in the world to hold Gunners to a higher standard than reinforcing the antis contention that we are somewhat inadequate hence the need for macho phallic symbols (i.e. guns).

I get "Smithsonian" too and they don't have those adds. Why? Because they turn them down I suppose. The Enhancement folks will buy space wherever someone will cave in to $$$$$$$$$$$.

I doubt if most gun readers are waiting for the latest issue of "G&A" so they can ogle the adds. In this day and age and for anyone who spends any time on a computer, male enhancement in a double click away. So I don't buy the "somebody wants to see it" line. The Rag Mags folded that's it.

If you want to get into the "Gun Writer" business, go for it man. Crank off some articles and see if they will send you around the world hunting and fishing. The North American Hunting/Fishing Club will send you lots of free stuff to review and the next thing you know we'll be trashing you're work.

I was always told, "If you're not pissing someone off, you're probably not doing your job!"

Alan

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
"I sent the elk to the elk heaven, where there are not elk hunters"....Bob Milek

clap clap clap

"A woman who cannot cook, like a man who cannot shoot, is in importan ways incomplete."...Jeff

"Rumor has it that Sarah Brady is being put forward by the shooting industry as "sales woman of decade" it quite obvious that Sarah has done more to boost the sale of personal arms than any person in recent memory, and she shoulbe appropriately honored" ....Jeff

On Krag rifles,
"In those days we won our banana wars, Now we try to do it with .22 but we do not seem to be doing very well. Jeff
banana banana banana
I really miss those guys, they teach me a lot and make me have fun !!!.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I miss Charlie Askins and Finn Aagard.

I'll never forget that article Col. Askins wrote for AR (I think) about the .44 Rem Mag and how he was the first guy to kill a human with it (IIRC, either a North Korean or ChiCom soldier in Korea). He gave a detailed account of whacking the guy. I still remember the howls of protest in the letters to the magazine the next month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you imagine picking up something by W.D.M. Bell and reading, "I put my .275 Rigby mauser up to my shoulder and faced the behemoth. Looking through my Nickel Marburg scope in 26mm EAW quick detachable rings I could see my reflection in his eyes. He meant business. I slowly touched of the Canjar trigger, all of 3.4575 pounds pull, and the 25.5" target crowned barrel barked, spewing the 195 grain Kynoch solid at 2376 feet per second, and shoving the 1" Silvers into the meat of my shoulder. I was confident the long Kynoch would fly true because I'd had Rigby of London, rigbyguns@saintjamesstreet.co.uk, cut my medium round tapered barrel with a 1 in 7" twist. The solid slammed home, the elephant crossed his eyes as if to inspect the tiny hole that now slowly trickled crimson fluid. He wavered, his knees buckled, then he collapsed like an empty can of Holland & Holland Nevarust under the 17" wheel of my 1897 Stanley Steamer. I breathed a sigh of relief, noted the time displayed on my Longines Africa Field watch, and took a step toward him in the Red Wing boots I was testing for Boots Over Africa of Ohio."

lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
I miss Charlie Askins and Finn Aagard.

I'll never forget that article Col. Askins wrote for AR (I think) about the .44 Rem Mag and how he was the first guy to kill a human with it (IIRC, either a North Korean or ChiCom soldier in Korea). He gave a detailed account of whacking the guy. I still remember the howls of protest in the letters to the magazine the next month.

It was in Viet Nam. We had a presence there way before kennedy was in office.
If you read Askins' book UNREPENTAT SINNER, you soon get the impression that he was not only a stone cold killer, but actually enjoyed killing people. Oh, he justified it as they were the bad guys, but impression is still there that he enjoyed his work.
In fact, Massad Ayood did a write up on the book and stated that if Charlie did what he did back then today, he'd be a cop in jail.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read the lastest issue of Guns and Ammo. Sam Fadala is the worst. His article on efficiency of various cartridges made no sense and was a waste of ink and a pixals. Plus he was showing off a soft boss cape buff he shot with a .30-06.

Yuck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the film industry, most current gun writers are diggin' from the bottom of the barrel. Crappy movies and crappy "gun rags".
Exception: Mike Ventrino if you like B.P. cartridge stuff.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have a great solution to "crummy" gun writers.

If I dont like their style, I just dont read their articles.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is AAron Pass, he bought me 2 table dances at the Pink Pony yesterday,, the only thing I read is Rifle.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote