New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 870 Slug Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use my 870 turkey gun for whitetails in the fall. It has a 20" barrel and I have an Aim Point saddle mount on it toped with a 1-4x Leupold shotgun scope. I also use the screw in rifled choke tube. I have found that 2 3/4" Lightfields consistanly give me the best performance with that combination. I do agree that the saddle mounts are not necessarily the best mounting system although mine has worked okay. I think the best solution is to buy a fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. I haven't sheled out the cash because my current gun does everything I need but I do think that is the best route.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What rifled choke tube are you guys using? I have a 20 gauge with a 20 inch barrel that I would like to try some of the fancier new slugs in. With my improved cylinder tube I get cloverleefs with Brennekes or Remington sluggers at 50 yards. My gun has a Millet Red dot SP1 on it that I like a lot.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is just the Remington model. It's an extended tube that sticks out a couple inches beyond the muzzle. If you are getting cloverleafs with Brenneke's you might not want to mess with a good thing. I just broke down and ordered a fully rifled barrel with a cantilever mount. I'm interested to see how it shoots.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was given a Rem 870 smooth bore slug barrel, 20". Before I start blasting aimlessly, what are the best slugs to use and what kind of accuracy can I expect.

Hey Eric, Someone apparently thought REAL WELL of you to give you an 870. It is just an excellent shotgun.

Each gun is different, so only you can determine how well your shotgun will shoot a specific shell. However, here are some things that might help you. Get a refrigerator box and a roll of Masking Tape to cover the holes. Make a 2" aiming point about 4' off the ground and set the box at 25yds to start with. Once you get your shots reasonably close to the 2" aiming point, mask the holes and move the box on out to 75yds or so.

If you are using regular old "Foster Style" slugs, they "might" shoot the best through a plain old Improved Cylinder Choke. Some of these smoothbore shotguns can be fairly accurate at 75yds, with 3" size groups.

If you use any of the Slugs that are in a Sabot, then your "Cation"(rifled tube pronounced SAY-shun) will most likely be a more accurate. And the Sabot Slugs will probably impact 12"-16" lower on the target than the Foster Slugs because the Sabots are going a good bit faster.

Don't be brow beaten into using 3" shells if they are just too much recoil for you. Nothing at all wrong with the 2 3/4" versions.

Quote:

Also, is there a reasonaby priced scope that will take the recoil? I have a B-Square mount that came with it too.

I can't help you on the scope, but it will for sure need to be able to handle recoil.

Your B-Square scope mount can work "fairly well", but you have to make a few adjustments to the barrel. Where the 870 barrel enters the receiver, it is not a "tight" fit. This is needed to allow easy removal and replacement when you clean it so you aren't pushing a bunch of trash into the trigger mechanism.

But, the non-tight fit works against you for accuracy. The barrel can be in one position for one shot and then move very slightly due to the recoil. Then the next shot will be off by 4" due to that movement.

That is why the cantilever scope mount(attached directly to the barrel) is inherently more accuracte, it moves with the barrel.

That doesn't mean you need to scrap the B-Square though. What you need to do is "tighten" the ""Barrel-to-Receiver"" joint. You can do this with some thin copper shim stock. It is a trial and error fitting. Lube the mating pieces well and then press them together with the shim stock in place. Shooting the gun might loosen the shim a bit, so you might want to add another piece. But it will still be tighter than not having the shim stock in place.

A buddy of mine used "Metalic Tape" for this on his. After a week or so the glue would migrate to the edges and he could add an additional layer of tape. I'm not sure if he ended up with 3 or 4 layers of the tape, but it tightened his barrel right up in the receiver.

Be sure to remove it after the season and give it another good cleaning and lubing.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Simmons Pro-Diamond 4x Shotgun scope is a resonably priced scope that will stand up to the pounding of a slug gun. You should be able to get one for less than $100.

They have very good eye relief which you will need.

Tom aka rinkydink

Posts: 206 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell that to my hunting partner whose Simmons self distructed on him last year. Cost him a nice buck. Scopes are the very last place to scrimp IMO.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 870 I had it drilled and tapped for a Rem model 742 base and the front screw is just long enough to put some pressure on the barrel extension. Others that I got the idea from put one lead shot under the front screw if it was too short. Another guy put loctite on his barrel where it fits into the reciever. I also epoxied the base on with Automotive epoxie like they use for radiators. I have no problem making a shotgun into a dedicated deer gun as what could be more important than deer hunting. Just for testing I thought I would like to try Winchester's saboted load they have for the 20 gauge so I need a rifled choke tube for that. The Brennekes will shoot into 6 inches at 100 yards if there is any wind at all and better on still days. This is good enough for my hunting as I have yet to get a shot past 75 yards.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
If it's allowed where you hunt you might want to consider a Hastings rifled slug barrel. My eyes have lost their flexibility so I can't use iron sights effectively any more so I bought the Hastings barrel with an integral scope mount and mounted a Leupold shotgun scope. Using Lightfield sabots my 12 ga. 870 shoots cloverleafs at 50 and @1'' at 100 yrd.s. I killed one nice buck at 125 paces and it knocked him flat.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Brenneke 2-3/4" rifled slugs are what I always had best luck with in a smooth bore, 4"-6" 100 yard groups are doable.

That 2" long rifled choke tube won't do enough to help and may in fact hurt accuracy. Stick w/ smooth bore improved cylinder.

I beg to differ with that statement!! I live in a shotgun only state and have been shooting an 1100 with a slug barrel with rifled choke. I can cloverleaf 3 shots at 100 yds with it. You will have to try different slugs. Activ 1 oz slugs were the best for many years, then they stopped making them about a year or so ago. Brennekes work with the rifled choke tube, and the newer Wolf slugs(like a Brenneke and made in Germany) also work well and are very inexpensive. Only thing is, the Wolf slugs are really hard, but should blow through both shoulders and spine with no problem. Remington slugs literally rattle down the bore because they are so undersize. Winchesters and Federals are a bit better. My best results have been with Brenneke-type slugs with the rifled choke tube. My advice is try both barrels with Wolf slugs ($3 or less) and shoot the one that groups the best and you are most comfortable with. I have friends that use some of the side mounts that mount to the trigger pins, and have been using them for years with no problems. I personally use a Pentax pistol scope mounted forward on the barrel on my 1100. Instant sight picture!!!

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote