THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Wyoming to overhaul hunt, fish licensing

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wyoming to overhaul hunt, fish licensing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking...

The Continental Divide Mule Deer Association. Dedicated to the preservation of the Mule Deer and its status as a sporting game animal. Quarterly meetings, fund raisers, public awareness, localised specific editorial targets, watchdogs at all G&F meetings, membership/supporter numbers that cannot be dismissed by bureeaucrats, politicians, etc., interaction with academia relevant to field biology & natural history, yada yada yada.

Hmmm...

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a few of RMK's points have merit, but I don't agree with all of them.
First off, when you're stating the "great overkill", be sure to include only those deer in the Wyoming Range deer herd. I don't ever recall an over harvest any place else in Wyoming during the early 90's (I do remember bad winters in 92, 94,95, and 97).
Secondly, to assume whitetails are the reason why mule deer numbers are decreasing is inacurate. I don't recall ever seeing large numbers of whitetails on crucial wintering areas important to mule deer. Habitat preferences of these two species in winter is totally a different ball of wax. There are also several areas in the state (Black Hills, slopes of the Bighorns) where both mule deer and whitetail numbers are high. All one has to look at is when you get an outbreak of EHD...both species are succeptible however whitetails take it in the shorts simply due to habitat preferences.
I do agree with urban sprawl. If you take a look at where the largest amount of growth is going on (either houses, subdivisions, or oil/gas development) for what ever reason is takes place in those areas deer need the most. Habitat loss is the key here, and when you take a look at what places these deer need to be left alone it is where they spend the winter. Sure, the summer habitat for these critters could hold several times more the numbers of animals, but when it gets right down to it and you're looking at what the concentrated groups of mule deer eat all winter...those sage brush/mtn mahogany stands are in rough shape (have you tried to eat frozen sagebrush??). I'll throw out a few reasons...fire suppression results in older, less productive habitats, several years of drought has resulted in less liter growth on healthy plants, over grazing (by both cattle and wildlife) on these winter range has destroyed important stands of browse, oil/gas development on winter range (just look at the Pinedale/Big Piney area), and disturbances...I'll even throw out antler hunting. The last thing these critters need is for some guy chasing them around all day to film and hunt antlers.

So what is the G&F spending their money on?? Well, for one they don't receive any tax money from the state. It pretty much all comes from federal exise taxes on sporting goods, fishing equipment, boat fuel & oil, and revenues from selling hunting/fishing licenses. So you add up alll the crap going on in Wyoming right now that they end up paying for (threatened and endangered species, bears, wolves, habitat loss, lawsuits, brucellosis, CWD, etc) and it is no wonder traditional moneys can't pay for it.

I think it is time for other folks to start paying their fair share (tourism & wildlife related activities is the #2 industry in Wyoming behind natural resource extraction) because a good portion of the state earns its keep from the critters running around out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a start. keep thinking. i'll join the support. a fire only takes a spark.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What and leave you here to decimate the antelope and deer doe's and fawns? No way! Your the one that probably gets in the back of a pickup and goes antelope hunting at 50 miles per hour.

Maybe you should read back, in my post I defended them more so than you did. You will never convince me that they don't make certain license sales to bolster thier budget. They have to and it leads to over hunting. They play the odds like any other corporation.

Now as for my hunting, I only apply for limited quota tags, if I don't draw I don't hunt. I don't have to kill to be a hunter. I also buy one doe fawn tag every year and I throw it away. It's my choice. And as for not being a native of this wonderful state, I have seen more disrespect for wildlife by "NATIVES" than non-residents or non-natives.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After the GF issued to many deer tags and ruined the deer population. They then went to plan B,lower the hunting age to 12 yrs of age. They sell more general deer tags and just as many additionals as before,but sell the additionals to more people,at two per person. Just as many deer die. The real bonus,is the fines they get to write for parents shooting their 12 year old kids tag. Its also allowed them to sell more elk tags and makes it even harder to pull a moose,goat or sheep tag,since the pools are bigger. But Gf doesn't give a fuck,since its provided them with more nonrefundable processing fees.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point, I have to agree! You know, I think is all about money! LOL!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fuckin' greed at its best kudu.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, the G&F is just rolling in the dough. And for all those "tickets" they'll be issuing, all that money from fines, etc goes to the school district in the county where it was written. Maybe in RMK's county they need to write more so someday he will make it through middle school.
Why don't the both of you take your bitching someplace else and move out of my state if things here are as bad as you say. GO hunt your game farm in Texas...and please don't put in for any licenses because YOU wouldn't want to waste your money!!!!

MG