Notify
Tools

NRA Whittington Center?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Anyone ever hunt there?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been there shooting but not hunting however i have spent a couple of elk hunts nearby. great area for elk and antelope. the center takes a special draw to hunt there and the chances of getting drawn are not good

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went there once to check the place out. Impressive, road and ranges runs for miles. Right on the old Santa Fe Trail. There's been a whole lot of further building since then. I'd like to drive down that 130 miles to look it over again one of these days.

Well worth the trip. Don't know about drawing a tag there. I've heard it's solely for NRA members though. So that limits it to 5 million at most applicants. Very doubtful even a third apply.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been donating to Whittington for many years. A few years back I stopped with my family and asked whether we could do some target shooting. The answer was "Only if you are a member".
I was not happy that they wouldn't allow a person that makes an annual donation to be a one day guest.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been to the NRA center several times. We have always enjoyed our visit. The people employed there have consistently been bothered by our visiting and asking questions. I guess they do not like a warm, dry place to work and drawing a regular pay check.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob:
Member of what? NRA members should have full access once you check in.

bloiep: I'd sure be taking names and making a report to HQ.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
The Whittington Center is home to a gun club that has a membership roster. That is the membership I was referring to.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Visited once and it was an awesome experience. Only shot sporting clays, but saw a lot of game on a tour around. It sounded like it was tough to draw a hunt, but couldn't hurt to try.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
The NM State Trap shoot is there this coming Memorial Day weekend. I plan on going to that shoot, it will be my 1st time there.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mention that shooting at Whittington is only open to anyone, when they attend for a Registered Shoot.
As previously stated, if you are not a club member and there is no Registered event match, I don't think you can walk in and get permission to use any of their ranges.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There used to be free draws for NRA members to hunt Whittington.Now there is a big fat fee to hunt there.The Center was built with NRA dues but only benefits the privileged. Mad

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote