Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Michigan UP deer hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AHHHHHHH, THE UP in deer season,
first, most of the hunters are trolls(that means they hunt "under" or South of the Big Mac bridge) so it won't be that crowded.
Second, depending on what part you are in, you could have logging or secondary roads cutting the territories every few miles,
OR
You could be in an area where you have 15 miles of cranberry bog to manage if you go in the wrong direction. A GPS would be a handy thing to have in your pack becasue you get lost in the UP you can REALLY be lost.

TAKE YOUR SNUGGIES
THe UP in November, if you are near Superior has a whole new definition to "cold" I have seen 3 feet of snow and
-25 degrees in a bad year.

Be aware, LOTS of bears in the UP and I know from experience they WILL walk up a scent trail of the deer urine products. Just depends if it has been cod enough for them to head for their dens.

If you see a REEEEEAAALLLYYYYY big deer be sure it is a deer. If you plink a moose it is a $50,000 fine. If you see a mountain lion(even tough the DNR says they do not exist in MI, do not shoot because this nonexistent beast has also been listed as protected/endangered by the DNR )

have a great time.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you see a mountain lion(even tough the DNR says they do not exist in MI, do not shoot because this nonexistent beast has also been listed as protected/endangered by the DNR )

Well I know of 2 people whome I trust explicitly (one's my cousin and another is departed) have reported seeing and coming withing 30 yards of mt lions in the Bark River area (13 mi from Escanaba) dist between the 2 about 10 miles as the crow flies (I'm guessing here)

Don't leave the camp w/o some type of weapon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You betcha. ohhh and Fudgies ain't got er !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote