New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should your rifle weight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I realize this is subjective, but what do you feel is an acceptable compromise between carry weight and recoil? Personally, I don't find field recoil to be a big issue, only at the bench. I can't every remember flinching in the field. Still, I'd like to practive more with my field guns. I like older Sakos, but they weight about 9 3/4 pounds scoped.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I think you're on the right track. I shoot a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker chambered in .300 WSM and I believe it weighs 7 1/2 to 8 pounds scoped. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and it is very comfortable to shoot. It pushes quite a bit, but the Limbsaver takes all the "bite" out of it. If you do a lot of stalking, I would think 9 3/4 pounds might be a little heavy.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The gun that shoots the best is the right one. I wouldn't let a few pounds prevent me from carrying it hunting. A lot of hunters carry around more padding than their rifle weighs every day. Ten or even 15 lbs. isn't that much.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josywales:
... what do you feel is an acceptable compromise between carry weight and recoil? ...
Light enough to carry easily and heavy enough not to create a Flinch.

As to what that weight should be, I'd offer that varies from person to person and the type of Hunt where it is to be used.
---

I've got very light, regular weight and HEAVY Duty rifles, so I believe each has their place.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills to all you folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Also consider the stock. The design and material of a rifles stock has a good bearing on perceived recoil.

Comfortable rifle weight also has alot to do w/ how far you intend to walk or stalk. A 10-12 Heavy barrel rig is not bad if you are only going to walk in 1/2 mile but, when you start going several miles is when a 7-9 will make a real difference.

A Sling can help as well. I personally like the Butler creek Neoprene slings. They grip your shoulder and flex w/ each step making the rifle seem much lighter IMO.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, there are two factors to consider:
1) How far do I have to walk. For deer hunting, I am within 1/2 mile to the stand. For moose, I have to walk 5-10 miles. So weight is an important factor especially for the trip coming back.
2) For long shots, it take a few more seconds to aim. Using any rifle heavier than 9 lb, I find that I can't steady my cross hair after the first three seconds.

Rifles <8.5 lb scoped are preferred (eg. Browning A-bolts). Recoil in the field is never an issue.

Danny

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally like my rifles to weigh in around 8-8.5 pounds full up with scope, sling, rounds, etc. 9 pounds is acceptable.

I do have a nice 7X57 that is a little lighter than that but she is a sweet shooter and the lighter weight compliments her well. So caliber does have a consideration too.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
9# is my limit for deer/elk rifle, lighter is better if I am humping the mountains. For a DG rifle, I like no less than 10#, maybe 9# in a .375 but no less.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well, I carry my hunting rifles a lot more than I shoot them so I like them light. I usually hunt rugged, remote and long mileage treks with a larger than average day+pack and an extra half pound here or there really counts. I carry a 30/06 Win M70 Lightweight that weighs about 7.25 pounds and add another 11 ounces with a scope. By the way the load that it shoots sub MOA is 180 grain bullet at max and I gotta tell ya that it kicks hard but once it is sighted in you never feel it on game.
I also have a 375 H&H mag that weighs 7.5 pounds plus scope and it will belt you pretty hard too but it is a sub MOA gun as well and I can stand 2 three shot groups from the bench each time I go out and no more. I don't mind the harsh recoil from these 2 guns because they are very good at what they are intended to do. I have other guns that are heavier and I enjoy bench shooting these guns more, but when it comes to carrying a "hunting" rifle these 2 guns fit the bill for the hunting I do.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote