New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday Boy Scouts of America
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just thought I'd say Happy 100th to the Boy Scouts of America and a thanks to all those who have volunteered to help them over the years. Way back where I grew up it was too rural to support a Scout troop, but my son was an avid Scout and my daugher grew up as the troop mascot. Lots of good memories with them. This is an organization that has provided a lot of fun and character building for a lot of kids. Nearly every scout in our troop got merit badges in the shooting sports. They also sponsored a hunter safety course for the community every year.
Happy 100th BSA
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the Happy Birthday message. Unfortunately our exalted Savior and Chief the Honorary President of the BSA felt that it was more important to ditch on the Centennial Jamboree and have a photo op on the View. Like any actually watches that lame show.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I third the Happy Birthday. The Scouts taught me a lot of things that I use to this day, especially when hunting.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
When I think back upon my youth there were a lot of negatives, but my time with the Boy Scouts was a positive. Wish now I would have appreciated it more back then. Much of what I know about camping, hiking, and survival was from the Boy Scouts. Small things like how to build a fire, camping, sharpening knives, knots, avoiding poisenous plants,....all came via time spent with BSA.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandson just returned home from the Jamboree and is on course to achieve Eagle. I'm helping him as his counselor now with one of his remaining merit badges...in railroading.

I'm confident that nobody's feelings in scouting were hurt by not having to endure a visitation from the Alien. He shouldn't be there in the first place. An appearance would be horribly hypocritical. In other words, don't anyone kid themselves on why he didn't show; it was flatly intentional to underscore disapproval of the scouts.

Those who care about scouting will just write it down as one more item on the endless list of reasons for really getting out the vote this Fall.

As for scouting in general, I loved it. Philmont Scout Ranch in NM and a long canoeing trip through Canada's boundary waters area were wonderful experiences for a kid. I wish all young boys could go on outings like that. One part of those trips I particularly enjoyed was sleeping over at military bases. It all really made you feel part of something as a youngster. And, I even still have to this day the NRA hunter safety card earned in '61 with the scouts at Philmont...that was I imagine the forerunner of modern hunter safety courses as presently exist. Anyway, it's all great memories..

Happy Birthday BSA!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great experience with Scouting. I went Cub Scouts through Eagle and then Explorer Scouts. I ran into my Scout Master today, he has to be 65yrs old, rehabilitating his recent knee replacement on his mountain bike to make his 8th Mt. Washington ascent. Last Fall my old troop had our 75th anniversary and I think 26 of our troop's Eagle Scouts made it back for it. Great memories.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

The Boy Scouts of America provided me with one the finest experiences of my life from Cub Scouts through Assistant Scoutmaster in Berthoud, Colorado four years ago.

Time to get involved again.

It was literally a blast, particularly Philmont in 1978, the Finger Lakes canoe trip in 1979 and some things that I can't put in print.

Some of the survival techniques need improvement though, but in general it is one of the finest organizations that I have ever come across.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The thing about Scouting is that the older I get, the more I appreciate what my Scout years taught me. Scouting truly has made me a better person.
Guys, if you are ever in northern New Mexico, take the Cimarron exit and visit Philmont. I was there as a Scout in 1968, but returned 40 years later and it felt so good to be "home." And the Ernest Thompson Seton museum is simply not to be missed.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While my son was in Boy Scouts I had the pleasure of backpacking Philmont with him. Ten days on the trail and 80 miles, we sure learned a lot about each other. My son is now a Eagle and a sophomore in college and to this day I can't tell you who had the most fun scouting him or I. It's a great organization, God, Country and the Outdoors.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 143 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed most of my time as a Scout. When adult leadership turned over I left, the SM that took over was a real SOB and he took things in a bad direction, and magically his son was elected to leadership every term....and he was a real SOB too. Shame, I was so close to Eagle, but I just lost all my love and desire to be a Scout from then on. Troop didn't last long under him either. But, I took with me all the skills I learned and still use them every day.

Proud to be a former Life Scout and OA.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you consider joining another troop?

I was in the Cub Scouts at one church, in the Boy Scouts at another and went on my scouting trips to Canada and Philmont with the Explorer Scouts at still another. And not that it matters, but I played church league baseball and basketball as a kid at two more churches...many reasons for all that, but it could be done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.recordonline.com/ap...COMM/8140306/-1/NEWS

Here's how one shooting club is celbrating the BSA anniversary. It's in the Hudson River valley north of NYC ! tu2