THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which caliber to put deer right down in thier tracks?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which caliber to put deer right down in thier tracks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Actually,I have have been getting alot of bang-flops,the last few years.All of the shots have been double lung shots,with the 270,3006 and 44 cal hornandy xtp 300 gr out of a muzzle loader at about 1500 fps.The common denominator has been bullet placement.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most DRTs I have have been with the 9,3x62 using 286 gr Nosler Partitions at 2425 fps. 5 deer, three piggies, a warthog, and a Zebra. One deer was hit low in the chest behind the leg ... the impact literally separated the sternum from the rest of the chest. A 200 pound pig and a 13" warthog were literally blown over on side shots. The Zebra went straight down on his knees and never moved again.

Made a believer out of me ... I subscribe to the relatively heavy bullet of good diameter driven at medium velocities.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Same. Actually, this coming year I will be trying to touch a deer in the wild as part of my primitive skills study.

I don't need the meat, but I prefer it. And culling some of the deer on my 100 acres is part of being a good care taker. And part of teaching my children.

quote:
Originally posted by Trojan6:

I decided that a quick, clean kill was important to me as a means of respect to the game I was hunting.

I think this is very similar to the thought process you appear to be going through. Maybe I've taken it a bit to the extreme, but I realized that my time out in the woods was just as, if not more important, than me bringing any meat home. I am in a situation where I want and prefer wild game to put on my table for me and my family, but I don't need it. I can just as easily go to the grocery store if I don't fill any tags.

LH3

I agree that we have the same thought process.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
DRT is one of 3 things! A brain hit, a spine hit or blow the deer to mush, take your pick.

Had the second happen in Nebraska's gun season a few weeks ago. Got two deer, first was a nice sized doe. Shot in the left shoulder, and since my bone headed friend had messed with my scope a bit (as a joke) the night before, I hit a tad high. Took out the spine instead of the lungs, but she dropped like a bowling pin. 45 seconds later I saw a small button buck, and since the land owner had said "get them all!" and I had a bonus tag hit him right in the heart and dropped him also.

Good times, but my rifle season was done the first 15 minutes of legal shooting hours. So now I have to wait till Iowa's muzzleloading season, and hopefully try out my .454.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:

This is the deer, by the way. Just because we are on the subject.

Looks like a good shot. Right in the boiler room.

I once had a deer run 20 yards with no lungs or heart. My buddy said he saw a fine red spray hanging in the air, and when we opened him up the lungs were torn apart and the heart looked like old jello.

He ran, but the massive drop in blood pressure should have killed the buck faster.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
9,3x74R with 286 Noslers.

Three whitetails, 3 DRTs.

Bison went about 5 yards.

Pronghorn had the bullet go corner-to-corner and went about 15 yards.

Desert bighorn went 10 yards with a MASSIVE blood trail.

Whitetail:

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I, too, killed a deer several years ago that had its lower jaw shot off because someone tried a head shot who apparently shouldn't have. That deer was due a painful, agonizing death by starvation had I not killed it. That being said, I have killed deer with head and neck shots, but they were all "unmissably" close and I knew exactly what my rifle would do at short ranges. The safest shot for a sure, humane kill is the lung shot. You can shoot a deer with a "cannon" but if you don't hit it in the right place it still won't die immediately.

I have found that my .257 Wby Mag does a better job at dropping deer than does my .30-06, but deer still run a short distance sometimes when shot in the lungs, but there's always a good trail of blood. However, I have killed several deer with my 30-30 that dropped in their tracks -- go figure.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found that my .257 Wby Mag does a better job at dropping deer than does my .30-06, but deer still run a short distance sometimes when shot in the lungs, but there's always a good trail of blood. However, I have killed several deer with my 30-30 that dropped in their tracks -- go figure.

red, a couple of thoughts on what you posted -

i am guessing that your .30/06 pills are 165-grn? you might try 150grn and see how your results are. the smaller bullet will certainly penetrate well, but the expansion will be a bit more dramatic. in my experience those 15 grains make the difference.

the 30/30 is a good deerbuster due to those flat and round-nosed bullets - they open up very well yet penetrate all the way through for one hell of a THWACK that in my opinion pushes them over like an old tree.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Who gives a fuck

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrHawg:
Who gives a fuck

In consideration of cash, prostitutes.

The topic of the discussion was hunting however.....

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrHawg:
Who gives a fuck

Very informative. I appreciate your input.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ghubert:

In consideration of cash, prostitutes.

The topic of the discussion was hunting however.....[QUOTE]

GH, classic, just classic! A perfect reply IMO!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot one deer with a 7x57 175 grain round nose and one with a 6.5x55 with 140 grain amax this year. both good shots, quartering angles from the front to side. 6.5 killed quicker, but it was impressive hearing the 7mm go thwack. i like to fool around and try different loads for different rifles i work up in the summer while hunting ground hogs.

for day-in day out performance on deer, i really like the 100 grain hornady spire point in a 25-06. deer act like they have been electrocuted and go down quickly. first deer i ever shot was with a 7mag and nosler ballistic tips, maybe a 140 or 150 grain. very humane.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote