THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Should a Scymitar Horned Oryx be ........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should a Scymitar Horned Oryx be ........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
....full body mounted. Im headed out to shoot one this weekend.
I cant decide how to mount it if i get one.
Thanks,
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Depends on how deep your pockets are! It is your trophy. If you have the desire/the $$$$/the room and possibly an understanding spouse, go for it. It would be damn impressive. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that as of last April due to a lawsuit by an animal rights crazy all Scimitar Horned Oryx are off limits to hunting, whereas before that time they could be hunted at will.

In order to capture, transport, or "take" a SHO now requires a specific permit from USFWS. Be absolutely sure that your host has such a permit, otherwise it won't matter what kind of mount you order, all you'll get will be a visit from the feds.

By the way, before you blast the gobment and the bureaucrats, USFWS opposed the lawsuit and had been issuing a blanket waiver to allow the hunting of SHO's. The lawsuit contended that the law did not provide for such a waiver, even though everyone admitted that the waiver was in the best interests of preservation of the species. The judge reluctantly agreed with the plaintiff that the USFWS had no legal authority to grant the waiver and so ruled.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you read what you wrote before you wrote it?

If the place offering the hunt has the permits, he can do whatever he wants too.

There was a whole lot of misinformation put out about that whole permit process and everyone got paranoid.

If the ranch has the permits and all the paperwork is legal, he can have the thing mounted, setting at a table playing cards like the dogs in the painting.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I personally like the wall peds with them.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Be aware that as of last April due to a lawsuit by an animal rights crazy all Scimitar Horned Oryx are off limits to hunting, whereas before that time they could be hunted at will.

In order to capture, transport, or "take" a SHO now requires a specific permit from USFWS. Be absolutely sure that your host has such a permit, otherwise it won't matter what kind of mount you order, all you'll get will be a visit from the feds.

By the way, before you blast the gobment and the bureaucrats, USFWS opposed the lawsuit and had been issuing a blanket waiver to allow the hunting of SHO's. The lawsuit contended that the law did not provide for such a waiver, even though everyone admitted that the waiver was in the best interests of preservation of the species. The judge reluctantly agreed with the plaintiff that the USFWS had no legal authority to grant the waiver and so ruled.

Huh??? bewildered

Are you saying there are waivers/permits to hunt SHO or are you saying there are no waivers/permits to hunt SHO? You actually state both in your post!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Stonecreek post starts out with a sentence that should be deleted because what is actually taking place is covered in the rest of his post, so it escapes me as to why he started out that way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I would have had mine done full body.

Yes they are huntable with CITES permits.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you saying there are waivers/permits to hunt SHO or are you saying there are no waivers/permits to hunt SHO? You actually state both in your post!

"Waivers" and "permits" are two different things.

Prior to last April there was a general waiver by USFWS to allow unregulated hunting of Scimitar Horned Oryx.

After the judgment went into effect USFWS can no longer grant the general waiver which was previously in effect.

Now, in order to legally hunt (or do anything else with) a SHO a landowner must first obtain a permit by paying a fee to submit an application evidencing that certain circumstances exist which would fit the greatly narrowed parameters for "taking" a SHO.

I don't know how easy or difficult such permits are to obtain or what exact benchmarks of population and management a landowner must demonstrate in order to get a permit. However, I do personally know that uninformed/illicit operators who did not have such permits were recently advertising SHO hunts for sale here in Central Texas. When I contacted Texas Parks and Wildlife to ask if these hunts were legitimate I was told in no uncertain terms that they were not. Advertising for such hunts has not been seen for the last few months.

So, back to my initial caution to Woodsie: "Be absolutely sure that your host has such a permit".

Any critique now of what I've said, Crazyhorse?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I wish I would have had mine done full body.

Yes they are huntable with CITES permits.
Drew: CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) impacts only international commerce and is not involved in the internal management of species within a country. The permit now required to take Scimitar Horned Oryx is issued by the USFWS based on their administration of the U.S. Endangered Species Act, not CITES.

It was a suit under the ESA which precipitated the problem with Scimitar Horned Oryx and has nothing to do with CITES. The suit contended that there is no provision for the kind of blanket waiver to the ESA which USFWS had in place for many years and under which the SHO flourished, with numbers in the U.S. (mostly Texas) estimated at 30,000 plus.

The crazywoman (not to be confused with the equally irritating Crazyhorse of our forum) stated in response to USFWS defense of their waiver that she didn't care if every single Scimitar Horned Oryx disappeared from the face of the Earth, she didn't want any of them shot.

This was her second go-around at the lawsuit, and despite the judge's observation that the USFWS policy had been beneficial to the species, he observed that USFWS exceeded its authority in issuing a blanket waiver to the ESA since the law gives USFWS no specific or implied power to do so, and ordered the waiver rescinded.

Now USFWS has to treat the SHO like a truly endangered species and require a landowner to go through a rather extensive set of red tape before it can issue permits, one by one, for any kind of human interference with the captivity, transport, or taking of a SHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
By definition, I do not read what I write before I write it since it hasn't been written yet.

If the place offering the hunt has the permits, he can do whatever he wants too. Don't you agree that's exactly what I conveyed with my caution "Be absolutely sure your host has such a permit"?

There was a whole lot of misinformation put out about that whole permit process and everyone got paranoid. Yes, I got especially paranoid when I was offered a SHO hunt and found that the person who offered it had no such permit.

If the ranch has the permits and all the paperwork is legal, he can have the thing mounted, setting at a table playing cards like the dogs in the painting. And if the ranch doesn't have such a permit then he might get as far as the taxidermist who, when presented with the cape, will be obligated to call USFWS.

While it is impossible to "read what you wrote before you wrote it" you would do well in the alternative to read what you write subsequent to writing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll refer this link next time someone asks about it. I was under the impression from a landowner that was the system by which he had to abide.

Learn sumpin ev'ry day!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I had mine done as a wall pedestal. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Learn sumpin ev'ry day!

No chit! Just log on here, ask about one subject, and be bombarded with 10 others. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:

clap

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I had mine done as a wall pedestal. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

I prefer wall pedestals as well. I think they look really good!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

clap

rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up Stonecreek. It really wasn't very clear the first time around but makes sense now.

I have to give a bewildered for Crazy's "did you read what you wrote before you wrote it" comment as well!! rotflmo That one was classic Crrraaaazzzzzyyyy!! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure am glad I took my SHO the Feb. before all the nonsense came into effect. I had my SHO mounted in a pedestal mount face on. It came out magnificently. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
I just called and made sure and the ranch confirmed that they had all permits required in hand to offer the hunts and to hunt them.
The reason i was asking about a full body is becuase of the rarity of the animal.
Thanks for everyones help.
Keep em them coming.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They weren't so RARE until the dumbass do gooders made 'em that way......

Geez the MORONS!!!!!!!

Next I hear they are going after Blackbuck, Axis and Aoudad.......

We need to make these Morons RARE.....

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
They weren't so RARE until the dumbass do gooders made 'em that way......

Geez the MORONS!!!!!!!

Next I hear they are going after Blackbuck, Axis and Aoudad.......

We need to make these Morons RARE.....

True. There were fire sales going on all over Texas when the judgement came down because there was a year or so between the judgement and implementation. I would bet that single "good deed" saving all the SHO wiped out at least half of them in one year.

Good job idiots.

I have a question, is "dumb-ass-liberal-shit-for-brains-bunny-huggin-morons" supposed to be hyphenated. I was going to write a letter and wanted to check my writing before I wrote it. Smiler

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a question, is "dumb-ass-liberal-shit-for-brains-bunny-huggin-morons" supposed to be hyphenated. I was going to write a letter and wanted to check my writing before I wrote it

Hyphenated with Capitals!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"dumb-ass-liberal-shit-for-brains-bunny-huggin-morons"

I think ya' go it right.......all caps would look better though....

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That one was classic Crrraaaazzzzzyyyy!!

Folks got the point anyway. I would not think anyone would be offering the hunts without having the permits. Glad to be able to provide some lite entertainment beer beer tu2

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Here is my SHO in a wall pedestal. To me the pedestal shows more of the color contrast going from the orange to the white coloring. My buddy has his done as a regular shoulder mount and all you can see is the orange on the front shoulder with little to no white showing.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Here is my SHO in a wall pedestal. To me the pedestal shows more of the color contrast going from the orange to the white coloring. My buddy has his done as a regular shoulder mount and all you can see is the orange on the front shoulder with little to no white showing.

Great mount and tastefully done! Good work!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks Drummond but all the credit goes to Jerry. I just put it on the wall!

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine done on a pedestal and am pretty pleased.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
We really like the flatter profile mount, works well for us because I have a small trophy room and this type of mount takes up less room.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
I had mine done on a pedestal and am pretty pleased.

Outstanding!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote