THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Montana won’t allow Yellowstone grizzly hunting this year

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana won’t allow Yellowstone grizzly hunting this year
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.bozemandailychroni...97-e3da9157802b.html

Montana won’t allow Yellowstone grizzly hunting this year

By Michael Wright Chronicle Staff Writer 15 hrs ago

Not this year.

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks announced Thursday that it won’t ask the Montana Fish and Wildlife Commission to approve a hunting season for the recently delisted Yellowstone grizzly bears this year.

The bears were protected from hunting for more than 40 years while they were listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. Those protections were lifted in 2017, which opened the door for a potential hunting season.

In a news release, FWP director Martha Williams said the decision is meant to reinforce the state’s commitment to the grizzly bear’s long-term survival.

“Holding off on hunting for now, I believe, will help demonstrate our commitment to long-term recovery and at the same time allow us the science-based management flexibility we need,” Williams said.

FWP will make the recommendation to its governing board at its next meeting Feb. 15.

The announcement comes weeks after Wyoming Game and Fish gained permission from its governing board to draw up grizzly bear hunting regulations, the first time since the 1970s that either state has had the legal authority to do so.

Removing Endangered Species Act protections for the bears gave more management responsibility to the states of Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Prior to the delisting, each state had to create a framework for a potential hunting season, which was included in the final conservation strategy.

Part of the strategy is meant to limit the number of bears that are killed by humans. It created a level of “discretionary mortality” based on a population estimate. An agreement lined out before delisting split the allowable bear deaths between the three states.

The official government estimate puts the Yellowstone grizzly population at about 700 bears. Greg Lemon, a spokesman for FWP, said the allowable deaths for the three states was calculated to be 17.

Wyoming gets most of the allowable deaths, with the numbers this year being 10 males and 1 female. Idaho’s allowance is one female. Montana’s allowable mortality is 0.9 females and 5.8 males.

Montana will still retain its portion of allowable deaths, meaning the numbers for the other two states would remain the same whether the state decides to hunt bears or not.

FWP cited the ongoing legal challenge to the delisting as another reason it didn’t want to propose a hunting season.

At least five separate lawsuits over the delisting were filed by environmental groups and Native American tribes. They argue the bears shouldn’t have been removed from the list because the animals still face threats from climate change and shifts in their diets that result in more human-bear conflict.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would some day like to apply to shoot a lower 48 grizzly.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Climate change... freaking clowns.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...shifts in their diets...

That wouldn't have anything to do with the wrong species of wolf being introduced into the bears ecosystem and then breeding faster than rabbits.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Montana’s allowable mortality is 0.9 females and 5.8 males.

So how does a part of the bear die?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
They could allow a hunt for 5 males and be well within their quota, they choose instead to appease the anti hunter rhetoric and bow out what a bunch of spineless fucks!
Excuse my French please....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the anti hunter rhetoric and bow out what a bunch of spineless fucks!

At one time Fish and game departments were populated with outdoorsmen.

They have been infected with anti's and earth worshipers.

Trying to save the earth.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Sad state of affairs in Montana
And we have shit load of Griz in northwest, more then in Yellowstone area

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
That is just the jellystone bears.

What about the front bears?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

At one time Fish and game departments were populated with outdoorsmen.

They have been infected with anti's and earth worshipers.

Wait, I thought us hunters are "earth worshipers"?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, I thought us hunters are "earth worshipers"?

Hunters enjoy and protect the earth and it critters for the use of man kind.

Earth worshipers place the earth and it critters above man kind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to college to be a wildlife biologist and I was the only one in our college that hunted .That was 30 years ago .Now fish and game are a bunch of nazi ecology freaks that hate hunting.and hunters .In Alaska they ruined hunting protecting the wolves and bears there and they are all the moose and caribou .Sarah Palin finally opened up wolf hunting and allowed Arial wolf hunting .The bears in Alaska wiped out the game so bad they started eating the black.bears too .The fish and game now is not for hunting at all we just give them money to play with .Here they did a coyote study with our money $350,000 determined coyotes were out friends and only eat mice and bugs !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote