Notify
Tools

I didn't get a deer, but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted
...I did get a bobcat.

He walked up the game trail straight towards me, bold as brass. I was standing in the shade, in plain sight, without a bit of camo on. He stood less than 20 feet from me and just stared at me flicking his tail around for over a minute (it seemed like 10).

I was thinking wow, this is cool. I can't believe he's just standing there looking at me. I wondered what would happen if I pointed my rifle at him, if he'd take off or not.

I had the rifle butt on the ground between my feet and I was just standing there holding the barrel. I started to slowly raise it. He let me get it about 3/4rs of the way up before he bolted. I shouldered it anyway and figured that was it, maybe I'd get to watch him rocket away through my scope. At 30 yards he stopped, turned and looked at me...

That was his last mistake.

The down side is that I shot him with a 257 Wby mag, at 30 yards. It blew him up pretty badly. Trust me when I say the picture is of his good side.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Congrats. 'Never seen a bobcat in the wild, but heard plenty of stories.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool!!!!

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Kitty,
enjoy
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I bet he tastes like chicken...

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
if you ask me, that is better than a deer. I've seen very few wild ones.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Way to go Slim... nice story too.

Best regards,

D

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Taxidermy man can fix most anything.
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
way to go! i so badly want a bobcat!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go on the cat! I took one with my 270 while hog hunting in TX. Yours looks like it will make a great mount. Mine had to be mounted lying on a log. I never found out what sex it was…

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy! Am I going to be the skunk at the lawn party on this one! (And fighting with Westerners,yet!)

It's not a "bobcat". It's a lynx. Bobcats have round eyes and short stubby,round ears. Now look at the picture. Bobcats don't live in places like Texas and Arizona. They know better Smiler (Sorry, guys, I love the whole West but don't try to transfer my animals to where they wouldn't dream of living)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
National Geographic bobcat pics

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerrypeters376 Lynx don't live in he south at all. Canada AK and a few in the northern states.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Bobcat to me!
Lynx are different looking have real big ear tufts and big clumsy lookin feet. Colorado has Lynx but they are protected.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter:

I totally agree with you -which is why I was so puzzled at seeing that a lynx had been shot in the Southwest. I used to hunt black bear in the Nipissing District of north central Ontario Province of Canada. My bear guide-a guy I respected as one of the best woodsmen I had ever seen in my life and who made a living also as a trapper - told me that he had not seen a lynx in maybe five years -and that was in 1993. I just have no explanation for it. Obviously, I can't call the Westerners out as liars -because they have pretty good proof of what looks like a very dead lynx -and not a stuffed trophy! Smiler Are lynx moving from north to south? Arizona and NM have real mountains and real winters so I guess a lynx could live there - but I still wonder. One thing I remain certain of - That ain't no bobcat and I'll fight any Westerner on that! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
Bobcats don't live in places like Texas and Arizona. They know better

I think you got it backwards… bewildered

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a terrific trophy!

And yes, Gerrypeters, that IS a bobcat. Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby I was about to take him on so thanks for the back up, yes Gerrypeters it certainly is a Bobcat.
Like I said B4 Lynx have a different look to them.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
You would be supprised at what a good taix can cover up or fix. My brother shot a nice cat in the ass with a .300 Win Mag at 30 yards or so. The cat looks great with it laying on the rough side on a large branch.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Like I said B4 Lynx have a different look to them.

And they’re a lot bigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim,

Kudos on the cat!!!!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JPFO

nice work. I gotta learn how to skin game that size...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 4 bobcats, and have seen many more on our ranch in TX. That looks just like all the bobcats here in Texas.

I bet you had quite an adrenaline rush after it was over. Nice shooting.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen both Lynx and bobcats though a lot more bobcats for sure. Though that is a well furred cat I have to say it looks like a bobcat to me.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
nice cat, we see them in our back yard from time to time. They keep the bunny population down.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

I have shot several bobcats, including 2 here at my place trying to get my ducks.

I had decided that "in the wild" I would shoot no more....

Until, after, I have recieved 3 emails showing 3 different bobcats, killing big buck deer.

Now I pplan to shoot every bobcat I see...

Just like I do every coyote I see...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, thats a bobcat. I've had em in the yard too.
Would like to see the e-mails of the cat killing the big buck. My taxidermist is working on a mount of a bobcat leaping onto a good whitetail buck.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
...I did get a bobcat.

[IMG]

http://i490.photobucket.com/al...m/P1050355.jpg[/IMG]

He walked up the game trail straight towards me, bold as brass. I was standing in the shade, in plain sight, without a bit of camo on. He stood less than 20 feet from me and just stared at me flicking his tail around for over a minute (it seemed like 10).

I was thinking wow, this is cool. I can't believe he's just standing there looking at me. I wondered what would happen if I pointed my rifle at him, if he'd take off or not.

I had the rifle butt on the ground between my feet and I was just standing there holding the barrel. I started to slowly raise it. He let me get it about 3/4rs of the way up before he bolted. I shouldered it anyway and figured that was it, maybe I'd get to watch him rocket away through my scope. At 30 yards he stopped, turned and looked at me...

That was his last mistake.

The down side is that I shot him with a 257 Wby mag, at 30 yards. It blew him up pretty badly. Trust me when I say the picture is of his good side.

I've seen them mounted lying on a log in a pose similar to your pix. Now I know why they monted it that way. Wink

Perhaps that would be a nice option for this tabby?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim – this is how my cat ended up mounted. I shot it a little far back with a 270 and completely blew out its undercarriage. The taxidermist said this was the only pose that would work. It turned out a lot better than I thought.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll take it up with my taxidermist.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll take it up with my taxidermist.

The pose I saw had both legs hanging over 1 side. If the "undercarriage" is still intact you might consider that. It actually looked like a cross between you PIX & the PIX of the "mounted" cat straddling the branch. Closer to you PIX though.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the funny feeling that my argumret with Westerners about "lynx" and "bobcat" is reslly an argument about terms. Apparently, so far as I can see,Westerners regard the Canadian lynx (which apparently has migrated south from Canada to the US) to be a "bobcat". That only shows that Westerners (who are an uneducated lot) Smiler don't understand the origins of the bobcat -which is a strictly Eastern animal. BTW, he is not found in Canada at all - which led to some suggestions at the Constitutional Convention of 1787 that he should be our national emblem - and I resent efforts of Westerners to take over a truly native Eastern aninal as their own! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I've killed two. Both were shot with Bal tips and pretty much blown apart. Good lesson in what BT's are good for. I'd love to have one mounted someday. They are supposed to make good pets as well. If I have to have a cat (my wife loves them) it may as well be a big bad cat.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote