New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching Grandson to Shoot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My grandson is 9, and I sometimes take him to the range to shoot. Like most kids, he wants to blaze away with something semi-auto. So the rule is that he has to get a certain score with the little break-action .22LR before he can try anything else. By and large, it is a pretty good balance between fun and discipline.

Here's the problem: He's right handed, but left eyed. Today he was all over the place with his shots, apparently because he was trying to use is dominant left eye while shooting right handed.

Anybody had any experience teaching kids with crossed dominance how to shoot?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:

My hunting partner of the last few years is left-handed and right-eyed; he shoots right-handed.

Posts: 14435 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I taught myself to shoot lefty when I was 13. i'm right handed, left eye dominate. [Cool]

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Agree with previous posts; probably best to teach the grandson to shoot same side as dominant eye. My wife is left handed and has been blind in her left eye since birth. Taught her to shoot right handed with the rifle without any problems with both semi-auto and bolt action rifles.

Having shot right handed for over half a century, would hate to try to learn to shoot left handed, but have seen quite a few older shooters switch when severe eye problems develop.

Good luck with the grandson, "ain't" it fun to work with the grandkids?

Regards,
hm

Posts: 914 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like three out of three in favor of retraining the hands rather than the eye. So we'll give that a try! Thanks, everyone for your comments.

Yes, it is great working with grandkids. We have a really good range, and the range officers all help to bring him along. It's something he can do that is a lot of fun, but which requires discipline and practice. It's a good growth experience for him, and I enjoy it.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends and my sister are both left-eye, right handed. They shoot rifles lefty and pistols right-handed.

An interesting question is that neither one has tried a left-handed rifle. My friend shoots a right-handed rifle and my dad bought my sister a Savage 99 in .308. I wonder how they'd do with a left-handed rifle?

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter is left handed and right eyed. She shoots right handed, as that is the way we taught her to shoot. At first she had some issues with instinctively picking up the rifle left handed, but that quickly went away. She nows shoots quite well, when she wants to! judy

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that I am middle-aged and need reading glasses I have noticed that my left eye sees a bit clearer than my right eye but I am right handed. I just always learned to shoot right handed with my left eye closed. I know that you are supposedly to shoot with both eyes open but I always had a bit of trouble with that. Maybe I know why now.

Posts: 174 | Location: texas | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
My grandson ...has to get a certain score with the little break-action .22LR before he can try anything else.

Hey Denton, Good for you. Sounds like an excellent idea on having a reward ready for him actually knowing how to shoot correctly.

But, I disagree with all the other posters(been a long time since I've been able to do that).

Here is what I'd recommend:

1. Teach him to check the Receiver area of the firearm for any "wires" or "glued-on Strain Gauges". If he sees them, have him rip them off and stomp them in the ground. Teaching him a few "choice words" to mutter concerning the people that screw-up firearms by gluing wires/strain gauges to them would also be very appropriate! [Wink]

2. Then teach him to shoot from the right side with his right eye and also teach him to shoot from his left side with his left eye.

A bit more than 25% of my kills have been made from the "Off-Side" due to the close proximity of the Game. Being able to shoot from either side has been quite an advantage to me.

Best of luck to the Grandson.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Teach him to check the Receiver area of the firearm for any "wires" or "glued-on Strain Gauges". If he sees them, have him rip them off and stomp them in the ground. Teaching him a few "choice words" to mutter
ROFL! Thank you. That brought me a good chuckle.

I think that I will get him to try some left-hand, left-eye shooting, plus some right-hand, right-eye shooting. After while, he'll work out what is best for him.

Last trip, I put up a target at 50 yards, and showed him I could drill 3 10's and 2 9's with my .223 without any effort at all. Then I told him that when he could do that, he could shoot any gun I have. He liked that thought. He has only shot with iron sights. Now, when is the right time to confess that the scope does make a slight difference?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am left eye dominate, and have had trouble shooting conventional firmearms in my life time.

Answer: Teach him to shoot left handed. I'ts my belief, that he will never be able to shoot to his potential with his "weak eye".

If you give him the rifle. Does he naturally shoulder the firearm on his left side??
Probably so. I do.

It's a real crappy deal that gun makers dont do more to enable "lefty-rightys". My term. LOL
ie: Sako, my favorite gun maker. And many others.

Probably a canidate for a custom rifle in the near future.

Cudo's to you my friend, for taking time to teach the young man the art we here, so dearly love. [Wink] ..sakofan..

[ 09-21-2003, 19:21: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
I am right handed and left eyed and understand the delimma described. I learned to shoot right handed and by closing or squinting with my left eye to concentrate on the iron sights became a fair to decent rifle shot, just not as quick as some of my chidhood squirrel hunting friends. I graduated to a scope and soon was shooting better than my buddies because I had learned to concentrate and paid more attention to trigger control and breathing techniques. As hell would have it I had an accident 3 years ago at age 56 and lost 90/95% clear vision in my left eye because I put my GOOD Eye at risk doing something stupid and paid the price for it. I will tell you that the best and largest cornea transplant medical practice is in Dallas and I credit them and my Emgy Care Doc with saving my eye at all. I expect to recover 100% vision at 20/30 or 20/40 uncorrected when the Fed Gvt allows some of the current test programs to be released to the general public.
Several of the little tricks I used in learning to shoot was to wear glasses - even before I really needed them in prescrition strengths - and covered the left lense with see thru scoth tape that made it difficult to see clearly (pretty prophetic!). Shotgun accuracy will be the devil to teach as lead and swing thru from the wrong side is hard but practice with a trap machine will definitely help. I became more of a "spot" shooter on some angles and learned to pick my shots for a higher percentage of hits. I also learned to shoot a pistol simply using the same techniques as I learned as a beginnner at 11- 12 years old. Now without a functioning left eye but limited vison for motion and color I have learned to compensate by using a little more conservative range estimation effort than in the past. My Doc sez the brain will learn to compensate but it has to be taught before anything will become "normal". I also pay closer attention to known "guesstimated" distances. Bottom line is practice and concentratiion is the key no matter which side the young man learns from. My Bro in law is ambidexterous, handed and eyed -so he sez- and suffers accuracy problems because of it...and is totally confused sometimes which side to shoot from since they both look good to him ! LOL! Good Luck.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Some other things to consider when choosing which side to teach him to use a gun from ...and these may sound dumb but my youngest son was this way to some degree as a baby and we "programmed" him to be right handed as he was ambidextrerous. Which hand does he write with, feed himself with, handle tools best with...hammering a nail straight or using a screw driver to place a screw properly, lay a line of glue or caulk straight with yadda yadda(aforementioned B-i-l was welding with either hand at 12 and laying the bead correctly with either hand, )which foot is his dominent side...kick a ball with? Shows which foot he uses for balance more than the other one... ie probably is the "front foot" when shooting offhand. Can he catch house flys with either hand or just one ...shows natural preferential eye to hand coordination. My attoreney's oldest son won a 4 year scholarship at Notre Dame playing soccer as the goalkeeper but had shown this attribute of being able to catch houseflys with either hand at 6 years old in the Lil Tyke leagues! and is righthanded and left eyed and could not pass the eye exam for the Air Force Academy to qualify as a fighter pilot. Practice is the key, and go from there.
Sight picture on weapon can be taught just like range estimation, and lead and all of that are learned responses to the visual stimula. Good on you for the effort...and keep it fun.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote