New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 30 Bore for NA hunting and Why
 Login/Join

<500 AHR>
posted
Since the 30-40 Krag thread had become a fantasy land of Pontiac vs. the world in drag racing. I thought I would restart my original question.

It is apparent that many feel the 30-40 Krag is, as Ray put it, a glorified 30-30. Strictly speaking that cannot be since the Krag is older, but the sentiment seems to run that way.

I would appreciate it if you could explain to me with facts and figures why the 30-40 Krag in handloaded configuration and fired in a modern firearm is not the hunting equal of the other more modern 30 bores. Specifically I would like to investigate the effectiveness at range, drop offs, etc.

The reason behind all this is that I have been toying with the idea of building a No.1 or Model 10 chambered in 30-40 Krag for deer, antelope, and possibly elk out to ranges of 500 - 600 yards.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd E:
Since the 30-40 Krag thread had become a fantasy land of Pontiac vs. the world in drag racing. I thought I would restart my original question.

It is apparent that many feel the 30-40 Krag is, as Ray put it, a glorified 30-30. Strictly speaking that cannot be since the Krag is older, but the sentiment seems to run that way.

I would appreciate it if you could explain to me with facts and figures why the 30-40 Krag in handloaded configuration and fired in a modern firearm is not the hunting equal of the other more modern 30 bores. Specifically I would like to investigate the effectiveness at range, drop offs, etc.

The reason behind all this is that I have been toying with the idea of building a No.1 or Model 10 chambered in 30-40 Krag for deer, antelope, and possibly elk out to ranges of 500 - 600 yards.

Todd E

Why limit your shots to 600yds with the Krag?

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Todd E., the Krag could never make a 500 or 600 yard gun on anything because just drops too much even when hot loaded. That kind of shooting starts with a .300 mag.

<Don Martin29>
posted
You need a .30 Newton. That's the original.

<500 AHR>
posted
Leo,

I don't understand your statement. The military routinely uses the 308 to 600 yards for sniper duty. I can easily load a 30-40 Krag to 308 levels. Running the numbers though a ballistics program tells me that a 180 grain bullet @ 2500 fps and a 200 yard zero would require a vertical correction of 38 clicks (assuming 1/4 MOA / click) at 500 yards and 65 clicks at 600 yards. This would indicate that it would be no problem to get a scope to adjust at those ranges without having to hold over. I could also go drop down to a 165 grain bullet to increase my velocity and reduce the drop off.

While I will admit that the program is not the real world it is close. I would not expect the real world to be too much different (within 5%).

Don,
Doesn't the Newton utilize it's own unique case? I cannot remember. If it does these cases are most likely difficult to come by.

Todd E

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 03-25-2002).]

<allen day>
posted
The .30-40 Krag is a good enough cartridge, but mechanically there's a problem in that the rimmed design of the case doesn't work in the staggered box magazines of the modern bolt action repeaters or semi-automatics that most hunters use. The U.S. Army developed the .30-06 as a successor to the Krag for this very reason.

AD

<Don Martin29>
posted
Todd,

The .30 Newton's case is 2.520" long with a .525" rim and a .522" base. The length to the shoulder is 2.020" with a 23 degree shoulder angle and a .497" diameter there.

Eighty years later we are finally getting to this design. Now we have a .300 RUM that's too big and a .300 WSM that's too small. But we are zeroing in on it now. Maybe another 40 years?

Here is a comment from the Speer manual #4. "A interesting cartridge is the .30 Newton and one in a good many ways is superior to the .300 Magnum."

And a load for you. 200 gr Speer bullet, 73 gr 4831, 2920 fps.

That should make it past 600 yards!

<500 AHR>
posted
Allen,

Understood. I did say; however, that I would be using a single shot i.e. Ruger No. 1 or Dakota Model 10.

Don,
I missed your post I was replying to Allen. Thanks for the information it is as I thought. I would have to agree that recipe of yours should suffice to well beyond 600 yards. Where do you get brass for that animal?

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
"A glorfied 30-30" is not a slander, its a compliment in my book and was intended that way.
It is basically a 300 Savage, another fine round or a 303 British another proven round...

In an Ruger No. 1 you add a whole new deminsion to the 30-40 and it is no longer being fired in a weaker Krag Rifle or Win. M-95..I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't duplicate a 30-06 in a No. l, but why? You can buy a 30-06 in a Ruger No.1

The Krags beauty lies in a slow 220 gr. bullet at 2000 FPs..It is a sure killer of anything up to elk, Moose or Black Bear at short range...

To my mind your trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear...but thats OK if it fills your heart with joy.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Where else but at Buffalo Arms!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/baco2.htm

I am not sure this is the best source. It's just the first that the browser found.

<Don Martin29>
posted
But I would make .30 Newton out of 8X68's. I don't think that the spring loaded #1's ejector would notice that the rim is a few thousandths under.

Nice case. Better than anything that we have today.