New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Bison Hunt a Success!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Hidden Valley School Bison Hunt took place this week. It was colder than a witch's tit. 19 grade 7 students participated. The tempratures ranged from -20 to -38 degrees celsius with a fair amount of wind. Last years school Bison hunt was colder in temperature but was more tolerable without the wind chill. The Bison were all up high, above tree line. It was a good work-out getting the snowmobiles above tree line.(I was stiff and sore for a few days) Once above tree line the going was easier but then we were exposed to the wind. It was not to hard to figure out where the Bison would be with the strong, cold winds. That would be in a sheltered place out of the wind and that is where we found them. We came upon a herd of 20. They had spotted us and moved off around a mountain. I intercepted them on the otherside of the mountain and took a cow as they filed by. I had a huge bull in my sights and although tempting, I took the cow instead because the school prefered a cow for the meat and the main purpose of the Bison hunt in the Yukon is a game management tool. Although it was perfectly legal to take a bull. We butchered the Bison and packed it out.
The remainder of the hunt we set snares for rabbits and squirrels, and other activities, like learning to start one match fires and making snow shelters. Because of the cold wind a little more time was spent in the canvas class room(wall tent) and gathering fire wood. A range was set up and one afternoon was spent shooting. This was cut shorter due to the cold winds so we decided to do more of this later in the year when it warms up. On the last day we got the tiger torches warming up the vehicles so they would start and pulled the camp down. The 5 hour drive back home ended a wonderfull trip. All of the boys and girls enjoyed the trip.
The Bison meat will be cut up at school and will be given out to the parents, who's kids attended the hunt, and will prepared and cooked for the Bison Hunt Feast that will be held at the school. As well as the feast the students will present thier presentations and reports. As well as a slide show of the hunt. This will end the 2003 Shool Bison Hunt.
Oh yea, we had a visitor from Mongolia along on the hunt. His name was Saikhana. He was a student reasearch/ranger. It was quite a trip for him. A

An interesting note:
I have since learned that there were students who were enrolled in this school so they could participate in the annual school bison hunt. I have also heard parents jokingly say, " I hope they hold my kid back a year so we can all go on the bison hunt again."

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

It sounds like a wonderful time for all who participated. I hope you got some photos. [Smile]

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now there's some thing those kids will remember!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job. You have insured we'll have several hunters in years to come.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner,

Congratualtions and thanks for saving that big bull for me! [Big Grin]

Can't wait for the photos!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that would go over well in the Bay Area....
[Roll Eyes]

Great job.

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Congrats Daryl! Sounds like another great trip. Wish they did that kinda stuff when I was in school. [Smile]

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote