New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Supergrade?
 Login/Join

<Dave>
posted
Does anyone know the real differences between the Classic Supergrade M70 and the others? The stock and barrel legth are the only things visible that are noticeably different. But my question is: Is there a stricter selection process in QC for Supergrade? Will they shoot out of the box better than a Featherweight or Sporter LT?

Which would you predict would shoot better: a tuned up and rebarreled Featherweight or a Supergrade out of the box?

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I believe the main differences are a MUCH better stock (style & grade), ebony forearm tip, recoil pad, crossbolts, inletted swivels, better trigger guard, and better floorplate hinge. I don't believe that there is any improvement in barrel grade or hand fininshing of the action.

The Supergrades are one of the best values out there. Buy one, get the trigger worked over to your specifications and shoot it. I have two in 30-06 and they are both under 1 MOA. I think that this is just luck of the draw, but I normally won't do anything but the trigger work before I shoot it. If they shoot this well I will leave it alone.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The supergrades have the exact same stock contour as the sporter LT but have a bit better wood and the ebony forend as noted above, but the dimensions are the same. As longbob stated it's got the other stuff like better bottom metal, inletted swivel studs, crossbolts, better recoil pad, etc. They're a really good looking rifle. The barreled action is exactly the same as the sporter LT. There is no extra finishing work done and the barrel lengths are the same between the supergrades and sporter LT's. The featherweight barrels are two inches shorter. You mentioned rebarreling a featherweight or supergrade. I'd shoot them first to see how they shot, they probably will shoot great with just a trigger job. If you had to nail down which one would likely shoot better then the supergrade or sporter LT will likely shoot better than the featherweight because they have heavier barrels. Some will say that a lighter barrel will shoot as well as a heavier one but all other things being equal the heavier one will always outshoot the lighter one, simple physics because of less vibration.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I saw an older Supergrade yesterday that doesn't hold a candle to the newer ones. It looked like a sporter with "Supergrade" on the floor plate. The stock was ok, but no inletted swivels or ebony forearm tip. The fit of the recoil pad was horrible. It was a 338 circa 1989. It had a Leupold (pronounced "Lew-Pold", it chaps me when people don't get it right!) 3x9 Vari II and 3 boxes of Federal Premiums. The gun has never been fired outside of Winchesters test fire. They wanted $875. I passed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LongBob....are they pronouncing it wrong or is LooPold spelling it wrong?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
DB, it dang sure ain't Lay-a-pold as quite a few think it is.