New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visit to Billings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be in Billings Montana for a few days in October . Are there any gunshops I should visit while in Billings .
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shiptons Big R country store has 100's of guns on hand, and sporting goods. There are a plethora of pawn shops that deal in guns also. I don't think there is much in the way of gun shops that carry much. To much competition for sales. I go to Billings once a month since it is our closest shopping from Wyoming. And no sales tax! Big Grin

If you have a rental car and some time, run down the interstate 90 to Crow Agency and visit the Little Big Horn Battlefield.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Gotta go to Scheels in the Rimrock Mall. They have a nice gun room (in a mall!).

Go see my pals at Red Oxx for safari luggage too. No guns but lots of good African mounts and other goodies.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Shiptons Big R country store has 100's of guns on hand

Probably the BEST selection of guns in the state of Montana!

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I would also check DaddyO's Pawn on Central, Sagebrush Pawn on 1st and Butt's Guns on Main in the Heights. Butt's and Sagebrush Pawn have a good selection of used guns and are great guys to deal with. If you have the time, Western Pawn has a lot of guns as well.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice , I will definitely go to Shiptons . We are also planning to visit the Little Bighorn memorial and have a short visit to Yellowstone .
Will we be there for the elk season .
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Shiptons Big R country store has 100's of guns on hand

Probably the BEST selection of guns in the state of Montana!

Check both Shipton's stores for deals!

If you have time, run down to Ennis and check out Shedhorn Sports. Has to be the best gun store in MT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a place to eat, try Texas Roadhouse. Pretty good ribs and steaks. very informal and he prices are not to bad either. I do the spare ribs every time! beer

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark I live in Billings and if you need a guide to show you around town let me know and if I have the day off I can show you around and if you have time we can get some bird hunting in over my dogs. PM me if your interested.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I can't believe nobody said Big Bear. Wink I would recommend Butt's Gun Sales and Sagebrush. Scheels has a good selection and so does Shipton's, but you'll be hard pressed to find a great deal at either IMHO. Ray's in Harlowtown has some good deals and I think highly of the Shedhorn in Ennis.

If you were to do a tour of the state I would recommend Capital Sports in Helena; Axeman South, Sportsman's Warehouse, or Sportsman's Surplus in Missoula; or Ronan Sports and Western in Ronan.

P.S. Hope you enjoy your trip

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder what will happen now that cabelas is coming into billings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about it. It will give Scheels and Big Bear some stiff competition. I never cared for Scheels, to high priced and commissioned sales. I am not much for progress and change, but once the store is done, it will be the regular place for us to stop. When we lived in Saratoga we used to make the 4 hour drive to Sidney a couple of times a year just for a daily outing or weekend trip. So this will be nice, being only 2 1/2 hours away.

It is 90 miles to wally world from here, next year we are supposed to get a super store in Worland, again, mixed feelings. It will impact a lot of mom-n-pop shops who have been loyal to the community. And I am not sure where they will find the supposed 100 employees to run it. There aren't any workers the way it is in Wyoming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sportsman warehouse in Bozo beats Cabelas prices to death. Even the bargin basement can't touch them. Gianni

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of hope it runs big bear out of business.What a waste of a store.Big bear reminds me of the Rocky Mountain discount sporting goods stores across wyoming. Nothing but msrp plus 100% mark up.

Scheels is hit or miss. Basically the only good prices they offer is during season changes and thats on clothing.Their real redeeming quality,is the ability to handle firearms and then buy elsewhere after you find what you like. Shiptons hammers both big bear and scheels on firearms.But then shiptons has tried to tell me on a couple occasions,that they only charge 10% over wholesale.And thats pure bullshit.I've got access to an ffl and have seen what "cost" is.Shiptons is still cheaper then most tohugh.

I was at the sydney cabelas in may,and it was a real Joke. I hadn't been to that store in about 8 years. Things have changed.The prices were nothing but msrp. The bargain cave was a cluster fuck with shit strewn in every direction.And no help. The whole store was basically unorganized.

Sportsmans whorehouse,is probably the best of the chains,when prices are concerned.

Walmart is a cancer on small town america. They'll import their own rejects to run the store,if worland doesn't have enough. Your pharmacy's will take a hit,all clothing and grocery stores will be in the same boat. City council has the ability to boycott walmrt,but they won't.Because their jobs aren't effected.

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Sledder, for once I agree with you 100%

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walmart is a cancer on small town america. They'll import their own rejects to run the store,if worland doesn't have enough. Your pharmacy's will take a hit,all clothing and grocery stores will be in the same boat. City council has the ability to boycott walmrt,but they won't.Because their jobs aren't effected.

I always agree with him 100%! He don't pull no punches! As for wally world, I will believe it when the old fucker at the door says "Welcome to Walmart"! I heard they put the one in Douglas on hold, I can't see it here, Pamida just put a brand new store in Thermop, one is in the works in Lovell, and I heard Buffalo to. There just are not enough people and money to go around. I want to see their part time workers who make $9.50 and hour buy these $250,000 homes!

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sledder:
I kind of hope it runs big bear out of business.What a waste of a store.Big bear reminds me of the Rocky Mountain discount sporting goods stores across wyoming. Nothing but msrp plus 100% mark up.
I could care less if the Big Bear in Billings goes under. The Big Bear in Great Falls has better prices. The help there sucks though. Usually act like they can't believe you had the nerve to actually bother them.

quote:
Scheels is hit or miss. Basically the only good prices they offer is during season changes and thats on clothing.Their real redeeming quality,is the ability to handle firearms and then buy elsewhere after you find what you like. Shiptons hammers both big bear and scheels on firearms.But then shiptons has tried to tell me on a couple occasions,that they only charge 10% over wholesale.And thats pure bullshit.I've got access to an ffl and have seen what "cost" is.Shiptons is still cheaper then most tohugh.

Sportsmans whorehouse,is probably the best of the chains,when prices are concerned.
Amen brother! thumb About the only reason I go to scheels is to fondle the guns w/o a salesman watching me. I find what I want there and then go to either Capital Sports or Gunbroker. I do like Sportsman's but I'm not sure I like the fact that one is going up in Helena. They are more than welcome to kill off Bob Ward's but I hope Capital can make. The help at Bob's is about the same as Big Bear and their inventory sucks. Sorry I think I am on the verge of a ramble.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, walmart is down for the first time in years.Home depot is taking it in the shorts also.

Another problem with a walmart being placed in a new town or small town.Is today you have so many fickle fuckers that won't live in a town or relocate to a town without a walmart. By not having a walmart present,you thereby eliminate potential douche bags moving in and fucking up a perfectly good town.

You know at one time pamida had a hell of sporting good section,when you consider the size and type of store they are. I've seen them with the cheapest price on ammo around.It comes down to management and wether they hunt or fish.

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sledder:
I kind of hope it runs big bear out of business.What a waste of a store.

I hope Sports Authority goes under as well. What a complete joke for a hunting dept.