New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Gemsbuck hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone knows about the hunts that are going to take place in Nex Mexico to reduce the Gemsbeck population.Where do I apply and is it for nonresidents?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can find the answer to all of your questions here... http://wildlife.state.nm.us/

But beware... applications for oryx need to be in by early February.

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang the Nonresident tags are $1500.Are the ibex true ibex.If so thats not too bad of a deal.The Gemsbuck is cheaper in Africa.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The $1500 is a bargain for someone who will never get to Africa. Add in airfare, daily rates, trophy fees for the half dozen extra animals, shipping, etc. and you will see the New Mexico trip is about 20% of one to the real "land of enchantment. Oh yeah, my hunting partner just got back from the Tularosa hunt with a 37" female. He's been to Africa twice and the NM hunt is still a blast.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also if you look at the application process it only costs $6.00 to apply the full fee is only charged if you actually draw a tag. Doesn't tie your money up for months like it did before.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am planning on applying this year. Any suggestions or experience as to which unit or time period is best?

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corax:
I am planning on applying this year. Any suggestions or experience as to which unit or time period is best?

Ah, just pick one. Decide when you can hunt and go for one during that time. All areas will produce good results (success rate is about 99% for all hunts). If you can shoot, you can kill an oryx in NM. That said, the Rhodes Canyon hunt area has a reputation for producing nice sized bulls. I've been on three hunts on the Small Missile Range. My own resulted in a 37.5" cow, my buddy nailed a 38" cow, and my wife shot a 19" curly horned non-typical. If you "shop around" you can score a nice one anywhere.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote