New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sighting In
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used this system that was in Outdoor Life ? http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/shooting/article/0,19912,687189,00.html

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Here's the link,

Sight-In Right

If you want to post one like this just open the URL box in the toolbar in the Post A Reply window and copy/paste the address and title in their respective boxes.

Thought I'd point that out cause some guys don't know and this is how to learn. Big Grin

Anyways, from the article,

quote:
WHY WE MISS

I'd say largely because guys just sight in, whether correctly or not, once a year and never actually learn to shoot their rifles.

A few rounds off the bench. But never offhand, sitting, prone, on whatever rest (pack, hand on a rock, rolled up jacket, etc.), uphill, downhill, at different ranges, after running 50 yds. and trying to hit the target while breathing hard, etc, etc.

Part of the fun for me is the offseason preparation from doing all of the above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
Here's the link,

Sight-In Right

If you want to post one like this just open the URL box in the toolbar in the Post A Reply window and copy/paste the address and title in their respective boxes.

Thought I'd point that out cause some guys don't know and this is how to learn. Big Grin

Anyways, from the article,

quote:
WHY WE MISS

I'd say largely because guys just sight in, whether correctly or not, once a year and never actually learn to shoot their rifles.

A few rounds off the bench. But never offhand, sitting, prone, on whatever rest (pack, hand on a rock, rolled up jacket, etc.), uphill, downhill, at different ranges, after running 50 yds. and trying to hit the target while breathing hard, etc, etc.

Part of the fun for me is the offseason preparation from doing all of the above.
Thanks for the info! I agree at one time we had a private range with a pistol course,trap fields and 100,200 & 300 yard rifle butts plus a mountain to the north of the range so we could and did pick out boulders 500 or more yards up to hit.We practiced several times a week. I was in charge of garand qualification matches so I shot even more,the practice I had enabled me to take long range shots at game successfully.Now the range I'm a member of is totally controlled no double taps,no rapid fire and we're restricted to 100 or 200 yds so I refrain from long range shooting.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scr83jp:
Has anyone used this system that was in Outdoor Life ?

All the time. It works best if you have a rest to secure your rifle in. Sometimes one shot gits-er done, sometimes you need a few more.

Just put the crosshairs on the hole and then adjust scope to the bullseye, piece-o-cake. The only time it doesnt work is if you didnt shoot the first shot well or if there is an accuracy issue. Best to start close and then work out farther.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote