New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son and I are discussing going on a black bear hunt[his first, and my last one was in Ontario in 1984]. I am really not interested in Canada, and Alaska, at the present time is a little too pricey. I thought Idaho in the spring[June], in a 2 bear area, might be the ticket. Any thoughts appreciated.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact
http://www.elkcityadventures.com
I have hunted with them 4 times, taken 2 bears. They run a great camp and they are very nice people.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely take Tony's word regarding the Elk City area. I booked a few hunts for the old owner of this company and can tell you that there are more than a few bears up there (I have taken two of them). I would, however, try not to book too late in the year. My group went one for three last year because I think it was too damn hot the last week or so of the season.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog,

Hunting in Spring requires hunting over bait, normally, and sometimes spot and stalk. Check "Mile High Outfitters" they are located in Challis, Idaho and hunt in the Frank Church Wilderness. I have never hunted with them, but have hiked by there camp and talked to there hunters at the air field when we flew out. The hunters said everything was first class and they had a great hunt. The camp I walked by was very clean well set up and it looked like a first class operation.

I am located in Idaho, hunted in the spring this year, and passed on 13 different bears. I hunted this fall and only passed on 5 before I got a nice chocolate/blond bear that weighed around 300 pounds. A "good" bear in Idaho will normally go around 300 or so pounds. I have only seen one bear that went 350+ but couldn't get a shot. You can't really compare Idaho bears to the 500 pounders you see in Canada, but many of the bears are a different color from black which is nice. Send me a PM and we can talk more if you wish.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We wouldn't be able to go until the first or second week of June because of my job, do you think that is too late, will the bears most likely be rubbed at that time?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we were hunting the last week of June. Early June should be just about right. The problem I have seen with that area of central Idaho is the possible extremes in temperature over a very short time period. The climate seems to want to go directly from winter to Summer with about a two week "spring". One season, the outfitter's early Spring hunters still had snow on the road to camp and two years ago the late spring hunters could have fried eggs in their stands given only the ambient temperature. Three years ago when I was there the success rate during my week was 150% (it's a two bear area) and it was moderately chilly every day with two days of heavy rain and a skiff of overnight snow. I think these are ideal conditions. If it get's too hot, I think the first instinct for bears is to just be nocturnal. I went with two great AR guys a couple years ago and unfortunately we went 1/3 as a result of the heat. There was, however, a local 14 year old kid who also took a small bear that week.

The other thing to remember in the Elk City area is that these bears get hunted by locals and visitors alike. They are definitely "hip to the plan" and very cautious. Both times I shot bears up there were days when I just decided that I was going to sit in the stand and be miserably still to the point of losing circulation and not scratching maddening itches. Hearing the slightest creak of the stand or the sight of motion up the tree or getting a whiff of mans (yes, I am a scent nazi) will keep a bear from coming in there. I remember the first one I shot outside Elk City. The relatively small bear was at the bait and I was slowly lowering my hand to the rifle about 25-30 yards away in the stand. The bear must have caught motion up the tree because he stopped, abruptly turned, looked straight at me and started sniffing the air. Don't let anyone tell you that bears don't see well. I waited for 10 seconds and shot him as he was turning to run. He was absolutely outta there and not even an old educated bear. I watched my bear come in two years ago and he actually came in from the left right behind the bait. He made a complete circle behind my stand (30 yards there and back)remaining mostly obscured by bush. I caught him again out of the corner of my right eye as he came out from behind me and he was taking a couple steps at a time and sniffing the air and listening for any clues. He was a decent first bear in a two bear area so I didn't even wait for him to get to the bait. I waited until his head was behind a tree and raised my rifle. I believe he still heard something suspicious as he looked in my general direction when he got out from behind that fat tree trunk. I fired and he ran past the bait and back to my left ...probably back to the bed that he left 30 minutes before.
I wish my schedule allowed more bear hunting...it's addictive!

Best Regards,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I work with a great outfit who does their spring hunts right in the heart of the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. This is a two bear area and being wilderness, there are no roads, no ATV, vehicles, etc. It is a fly-in, pack-in hunt. The area is extremely beautiful with picturesque mountains, virgin forest, mossy brooks and rivers.

Everything is packed in on horses and mules.

Most of the stands are set in the mountains and even in June the bears carry beautiful coats. I never saw a rubbed bear. There is a high chance of seeing and killing colored bears. I saw chocolates and blonde/black crosses. I personally had a 50% incidence of colored bears.

Camp is wall tents with wood stoves, cots, propane showers and hearty meals set in ancient forest. The horses are very good and non equestrians manage just fine. It's a real "western" style hunt. You'll see other wildlife, the deer in the area had no idea what people were and were so curious they would approach you to within a few yards. Seemed to be a lot of elk in the area too.

Several bears squaring over 7 foot come out of there every year. Seems most average 6.5 or better. Guess it depends on what you decide to shoot. Drop me a line if you think this is the place for you.

aspenhill@triton.net

~Ann

Posts: 19223 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog, I may have just the hunt for you. I'll start a new post called For Bear HUnters and explain details.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If bait hunting is your thing then Idaho is a very good place to consider.

Personally I have zero interest in it but that is just me.

Spudsville does have some vcery good bruin hunting!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You have a private message.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote