THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mountain lion is taken off Missouri's endangered list

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain lion is taken off Missouri's endangered list
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mountain lion is taken off Missouri's endangered list
By Ken Leiser
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
04/08/2006

Missouri conservation commissioners voted Friday to remove the mountain lion from the state endangered species list, saying the native cat should not be allowed to mount a comeback.

Mountain lion sightings have increased in the last five to 10 years, raising concerns among the public, said John Smith, assistant director with the Missouri Department of Conservation.

While conservation officials don't believe wild cougars are re-establishing themselves in the state, Friday's move was an effort to "clarify" Missouri policy toward the animal. "The fact is, we don't believe there is a breeding, self-sustaining population of mountain lions in the state of Missouri," Smith said.

The commission had designated the mountain lion as endangered in 1973, Smith said, on the mistaken belief that there was a small population in the Ozarks.

Friday's move surprised and angered environmental groups that were hopeful that the cat could regain a foothold.

"I think it is outrageous," said Ted Heisel, executive director of the Missouri Coalition for the Environment. "Here is one of the more charismatic species that our state once had. The mountain lion is native to Missouri."

Heisel said it is "troubling" that the commission charged with protecting wildlife took such a position.

"They're denying reality," said Ken Midkiff, conservation chairman of the Ozark Chapter of the Sierra Club. "I don't think there is any doubt that there is a population."

One of the objectives of endangered species programs is to restore the populations of listed animals, Smith said. The commission determined that would not be "desirable" in the case of the mountain lion.

Smith said the panel considered the potential threat to livestock and human safety.

While many mountain lion reports turn out to be large dogs or bobcats, Smith said, there still have been confirmed sightings that stoked public concern, particularly in rural Missouri.

kleiser@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8215

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9448 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of makes you take pause when you look at your MO kitchen window to the back 40 and see a big kitty laying up chewing on a deer..

Taken in SW MO a few years back.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes , it takes a photo. NY seems to have calmed down with their retoric after someone took a photo of one on their porch !

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is one of the more charismatic species that our state once had.

CHARISMATIC, these bunny-huggers need to get out more often. Only some damn idiot would use such an inappropriate word when describing a wild animal.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are a whole bunch more Mountain Lions out there, in every state, than people, including the wildlife folks, want to admit too.

Cats are secretive by nature, but when you start having sightings that frequently, there is probably 2 or 3 times as many cats out there as has been estimated. JMO

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
quote:
Here is one of the more charismatic species that our state once had.

CHARISMATIC, these bunny-huggers need to get out more often. Only some damn idiot would use such an inappropriate word when describing a wild animal.

Regards,

Terry

I guess I must be a bunny hugger...(and an idiot) I find them to be quite charismatic......
cheers
IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charismatic all right. Bout had to change my drawers one evening after seeing one crossing a hayfield in front of me. Right about 75 yards-was behind a large hay bale watching the deer travel. Always have at least my flattop with me now whatever I'm doing.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny how folks start putting bars on their windows, hide the silver, and keep their kids in at night when they think a mean ol nasty lion is around with killing humans on his mind. You people need to get a grip...your chances of getting hit by lighting...twice, is better than getting into a confrontation with a lion.

This country is COVERED in deer...where you have deer, you will have predators, wether it be a lion, bear, or coyote.

Frankly, around these parts we have grizzly bears, black bears, and lions. You do have to mind your P's and Q's in grizzly country, but black bears and lions don't even get a second thought. Is it just in our nature, to freak out for no good reason everytime a toothy critter is around?

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think it has to do with never seeing one before and realizing what it is. It was fascinating to watch.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The neigbor was telling me he saw one the other day crossing the highway near my place. Teh county forester who is a hunter and trapper told me he saw one also a couple of years ago. My wife and 4 little old ladys saw one about 20 years ago she had to bring the car to a stop to let it cross the road. Every one of the ladys told be the same thing a very big cat with a long tail.

The local game wardens and wildlife people still say no we don't have any they look at you like your crazy when you tell them. But they did the same with wolves. They tell the people with pictures that can't be a lion it must be something else.

I guess they do not want to deal with the trouble of having to comfirm a lion population in the state.

I think is a good thing to have some around like wolves.

But the wolves and lions should have a hunting season on them.

Then I have to aggree with IdahoVandal that he is a lot like a bunnie hugger when it comes to wolves and lions.

Posts: 19503 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote