New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter's meat 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just returned from my native CO. Spent a week there doing a little deer hunting on some ranches owned by family friends and seeing the family. It was a successful trip.

A good mulie doe probably about 170-180 lbs on the hoof.

A nice whitetail doe, around 140 lbs on the hoof.

I hunted 2 days, on 2 different ranches, fired 2 shots, killed 2 deer of 2 different species. The deer are butchered and ground and some sausage has been made. The freezer is full with over 150 lbs of boned meat/burger/sausage and Mama and Me will eat well this winter.

Cheers.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Well Done! tu2

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you.
Always helps to fill tags and change the flavor of the soup!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Nothing like filling the freezer!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting too!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you taste the difference between the two species? I bet you probably handled the meat the same. The only difference is the raw material.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Can you taste the difference between the two species? I bet you probably handled the meat the same. The only difference is the raw material.

Not really. Both animals came from the same basic area and the food sources are the same. Since the taste of meat often is a result of the diet of the animal these were very similar. The area these were taken is have a lot of native browse and have cornfields nearby and both the whitetails and the mulies hit the corn fields.

I can say that both are eating very well right now.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander7:

Although I like venison very much and still hunt deer I have figured out in my old age that with the cost of hunting these days one would get almost as much good meant by heading for the grocery store. Same with fishing.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander7:

Although I like venison very much and still hunt deer I have figured out in my old age that with the cost of hunting these days one would get almost as much good meant by heading for the grocery store. Same with fishing.

Yeah but then you are eating a bunch of antibiotics and hormones. Don't get me wrong, I love a good beef steak but wild stuff is a lot better for you.
Besides, you never count the money in hunting or hotrods. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote