New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good Bison out there? Not a shoot.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone recommend a good bison hunt vs a drive by killing?
Looking for something fun and nostalgic.

Thanks

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Never hunted one, but have worked with them both at a zoo and on a ranch.

The best actual hunt I have ever heard about is the one in the Henry's Mountains in Utah.

From what I have witnessed, including up at Custer State Park and the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge and the Musk Ox hunt I did in Nunavut, bison/buffalo, depending on how picky the hunter is are a high success hunt/shoot, simply because on most places they are not harassed enough to become really wild.

Getting drawn for the Henry's Mountains or going to Canada after free ranging Wood Bison seem to be the only real hunts going. Just an observation.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prefer not to draw for a hunt. Would like to hunt a large ranch in Colo, Wyo or ND if there is a hunt to be had.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Randy Routier (AR member) in South Dakota. A friend of mine hunted one with archery gear and had a great time.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry...it's: huntsd.net

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do. thx

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Turner Ranches are awesome. I have seen a lot of Buffalo on the Armendaris Ranch in NM the times I've been there. I cannot imagine how awesome it would be to hunt them on Vermejo Park

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Three years ago I shot a bison in SD on the Triple U. Google them and email Kate directly. 60,000 acres is as fair chase as it gets but the reality is bison were never a challenge to hunt in the mid-1800s. I used my 4-bore double and Dangerous Game Hunting magazine published my article of the hunt. There is a photo on the home page of my website but you need to scroll down a bit as it has been awhile. <calpappas.com>
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utah has a couple of wild bison herds but if you don't want to draw out here plan on paying megabucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple ranches we do Buffalo hunts on by Buffalo South Dakota. These are large ranches that are not high fenced. We don't just drive up and shoot them out of the pickup. It is spot and stalk hunting. These ranches are thousands of acres each. Rolling prairie on the Buffalos original territory and roaming grounds. We actually find old horns every now and then on the ground from the original herds.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picture of a stalk.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The end result.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Wyoming cow tag has fair odds of drawing---much better than the "any bison" draw.
Hunting in the shadow of the Tetons is hard to beat.

Cows are pretty smart and know the boundaries, by no means a sure thing.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been researching a bison hunt since Jan and just sent off a deposit check to Randy today. Hope to use a double but will take a scoped rifle if we can't get close enough. Hunt is scheduled for either the first half of Jan or first half of Feb.
This will be my first ever guided hunt so not sure what to expect but am pretty certain it will be a good hunt and experience.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Utah, Henry Mountains, auction permit will run you $10-12,000. It is tax deductible. Just FYI.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew the Henry Mountains bison tag about 10 years ago. Definitely wild bison and you will see some of the biggest mule deer of your life.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a couple ranches we do Buffalo hunts on by Buffalo South Dakota. These are large ranches that are not high fenced. We don't just drive up and shoot them out of the pickup. It is spot and stalk hunting. These ranches are thousands of acres each. Rolling prairie on the Buffalos original territory and roaming grounds. We actually find old horns every now and then on the ground from the original herds.

Do you offer cow/meat hunts?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Sikanni River outfitters in British Columbia. As free range as it gets. Hunted with them 5-6 years ago and had a great trip. Watched bison on the mountain as high up as stone sheep. Plus Mike and Dixie are great hosts!

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross,
Sikanni River Outfitters are your only real choice.
Truly wild bison, awesome country, great success rate and really nice people. Mike and Dixie will look after you.
I have hunted that country and you would love it!, Good elk and moose as well.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska has a couple of free ranging herds and the bison are free to travel anywhere anytime. The most common herd is around Delta and the hunt is by permit only. Statistics are against a hunter drawing a permit during their life time. No accrued points and no refund on the draw fee ($10). I know I put in for a permit every year since 1976 and never got lucky.
The Alaska bison seemed to be slightly smaller than the lower 48 animals. Couple of my moose hunting buddies scored Delta bull tags two years ago and each shot a mature bull but both guys were shocked to discover they only got about 350-400 pounds of meat off each bull. Maybe they just found a couple of wimpy bulls.

No more permits for meSmiler I'll gladly pay Randy's reasonable fee to fill up our freezers and to get a nice hide and great memories.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Do you offer cow/meat hunts?

I sure do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best actual hunt I have ever heard about is the one in the Henry's Mountains in Utah

I have done this hunt. One of the toughest and best hunts of my life! Hard to draw, but worth it!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
www.yukonsheep.com. Tim will never disappoint and Wood Bison are importable to the US now. I have never hunted with Sikanni but have also heard good things. The Alaska draw is a non-starter as far as I am concerned. It is important to realize that there are no bargains to be had here...you either buy a Henries tag for 12k or spend just under that for a Yukon or BC tag. There are also outfitters who will take you out in Alberta after WBNP escapees. Have heard that these hunts CAN be good and run a few thousand less than other options. Other option might be Custer. Still fenced....but huge, better draw odds, and reasonably priced.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best actual hunt I have ever heard about is the one in the Henry's Mountains in Utah

I am probably 8 points away from a bull tag here. With any luck, it will be my 50th birthday present to myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
you either buy a Henries tag for 12k or spend just under that for a Yukon or BC tag.

Can you buy this tag for $12k? That would be a deal if you can.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Arizona has two herds of introduced bison (they are not native to our state). A "closely managed" (not free-ranging) herd is on Raymond Ranch near Flagstaff. The other is on House Rock Ranch on the Kaibab Plateau, just above the North Rim of Grand Canyon. Hunting these animals is no walk in a park, and success is far from guaranteed. Both herds are hunted, but drawing a tag can be difficult.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the odds of drawing in the South Dakota Custer State Park bison hunt?

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
you either buy a Henries tag for 12k or spend just under that for a Yukon or BC tag.

Can you buy this tag for $12k? That would be a deal if you can.

I believe they auction one or two at the sportsmans show. Historically, I think the price range has been around 12k. As for the AZ bison options, the Kaibab hunt is known to be near impossible for several reasons not the least of which being herd migration into Grand Canyon National park. The other AZ hunt is technically fenced if I recall correctly. Given that, I don't see the point of trying to draw there. Either put in for a real hunt, pay big money for an immediately available real hunt or pay today for a fenced shoot. Also, if fenced is ok with you, might as well put in for Custer for three or four years and draw there. I think Chad Kremer is still the herd manager there and can give potential hunters a good idea of what is possible as far as draw odds go. Cost there is around $5000 though so you are really half way to a Yukon or BC hunt and most of the way to an Alberta hunt at that price. I like Custer, but $5000 is a lot for that when there are options that granted cost twice as much... but i think yield 4x the hunting experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Wyoming cow tag has fair odds of drawing---much better than the "any bison" draw.
Hunting in the shadow of the Tetons is hard to beat.

Cows are pretty smart and know the boundaries, by no means a sure thing.

tu2

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Three Yukon bulls.....

2005- Solid B&C bull.

2009- Meat bull

2002 - Ancient broomed bull

...and a Custer cow just for fun.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
it case anybody did notice...tendrams has issues when it comes to bison Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it case anybody did notice...tendrams has issues when it comes to bison

If I was in the same position he is, I would have the same issues. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yes...but you are not the one who tore his rotator cuff helping him skin the meat bull in the dark.

And don't get started on the cabin adventure about 250 miles south of the arctic circle in February at 1 AM on the same trip.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, but I do not know that I would not have been willing to have traded places with you had the opportunity presented itself.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
...And don't get started on the cabin adventure about 250 miles south of the arctic circle in February at 1 AM on the same trip.

Hey that was fun! There were only what...two feet of snow on the road preventing good access to the place and it only took what...five or six trips to get all the gear (and taxidermy) in there at 01:00 on an improvised sled made out of our unpacked taxidermy crate? Smiler

Best part of that trip was me staying about a week after Mike left with the car. A local buddy randomly shows up three days later with a shitload of gear and says, "Mike told me you needed this...oh, and you owe him $450 bucks for it!" LOL! Mike decided to go shopping and REALLY likes "planning and logistics" in case you can't tell! Big Grin

Wait, I take that back...the real "best part" of the trip was me literally hitching a ride back to Whitehorse with a native woman and her son. After I walked to the highway, they stopped and said they were going to Whitehorse, I said, "gas and lunch is on me". They said, "get in"...and the rest is a haze.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
He forgets to add it was about 75 yards from the road to the cabin down about 30 degree slope and it was about 8 trips and 3 ft of snow.

Although I did get to see a wolverine in the wild on the way back...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
...and the Lynx on the way in as I recall!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I don't think I ever got that $450... Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I don't think I ever got that $450... Big Grin

YES YOU DID! Had a check sent to you immediately!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have no specific unaided recall...

By the way way...what was the stuff, I bought for you?

Mike