New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honesty in posting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found myself about to type something about elk hunting based on my experience of UK deer - rather a dodgy premise.

I wonder how often questions have been answered by posters in this fashion without making it clear that it's a logical extension (what's logical in hunting!?) something the poster actualy has no experience of or indeed something that was read or heard somewhere else.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 05-16-2002).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Less here than elsewhere I would be willing to bet. Too much knowledge here to try to "wing it" You might get away with it once or twice but you will be called down sooner or later.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
Ditto on what Buffalobwana said !!
GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit of it goes on, but I agree that this site polices itself pretty well and the BS'ers are usually caught and repremanded (or better yet, ignored with an ominous silence).

As an example, I like reading the African posts. Sometimes I find something there that I know to be way off-base, but since I've never been to Africa or hunted any African game, I bite my lip and refrain from anything other than theoretical discussions there.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to limit my suggestions to "deer" because that is what I hunt. Most of my post are Questions to the more experienced big game hunters, ie Allen Day, Ray Atkinson, etc. I have learned a lot on this forum and at some point you feel you can pass on "Common Sense" information, even if you havn't had first hand experience. For instance if someone post that a .300win mag is way to small for Elk/Moose Hunting, then common sense is going to allow you to call them on it. On the other hand if some guy post that he regularly kills Elk with a 25-06, who the hell am I to question him?
But what has been said is right, the posters full of BS will be called out eventually.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
We got to the moon and back on theory. As long as the opinion is based on logic it's just as valid as observations which can be misread.

How many times have you read that someone has hit a deer in the ribs with a .270 and it ran off? I have and there was no answer. Later I read here that sometimes a bullet that hits between the spine and over the top of the lungs will not be fatal at all. I did not know this.

Now it might take ten lifetimes of bagging game or the experiance of Atkinson to put this together.

But some would say that the 139 gr SST is not adequate for whitetails.

This is called reasoning which can be superior to specific experiance. You and I can do it. I don't think my cat can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I go to great lengths to be accurate, especially with distances an animal was shot at, size of the game, etc. What ends up happening is telling a long story to validate or add evidence to what should have been a simple reply. So it seems I'm telling the same tales all the time.

I think the BS artists are quickly revealed. This is surely one of the better forums with one heck of a group of readers and posters. With the vast majority telling the truth.

Frank N

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot over 40 deer in the lungs with a .270win, and they always drop on the spot, they never even twitch after they hit the ground.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
This does seem to be a more honest board...certainly, a more knowledgable group frequents it. I find now that I look at who has posted first before what was posted. The more credible posters, such as Stonecreek and 'Ol Sarge (to name but a few), get my attention. Of course, there are always a few "unregistered" posters that seem to know everything and show it by their attacks on non-American made products. There are also a few die hard posters that seem to forget what most hunters stand for when it comes to conservation and nature, which is ashame. But other than that, it is a great site...the bonus is that we don't get bombarded with those darn advertisements.

[This message has been edited by Eagle Eye (edited 05-18-2002).]

<JHook>
posted
Ive been shooting since I was 2yo, in fact I came out of the womb with a rifle in my Hands! Ive killed everything with one shot from a 7mmRemMag up to a Blue Whale, and at distances up to 1,000 yrds.

Ive never missed, never crippled, Have a wall that would compare with Noahs Ark. Ive reloaded every cartridge ever made, Hell I even have my name on some. I founded the NRA, The SCI, Harvard Law Schhol, The Wheel. Hell, I even dualed George Washington and "just winged" the Bastard cause I knew he had a war to go fight.

Any other questions ?............J

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even the "experts" are human and do err occasionally. They need to be called on it when it happens. Personal prejudice or commercial motives do happen sometimes, or simple idiosyncratic warping of reality. Expertise in various areas by various forumni will ride herd and eventually sort things out, as long as the thread does not degenerate into osculation of the derriere.

------------------
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
I prefer to be as precise as possible. Among other things, it avoids the need to try to remember which story was told to whom

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
If humour is involved, all bets are off! If no humour is involved, I make every attempt at accuracy and honesty. That is the only way we can share info of this nature on this forum without causing someone to have a problem, like useing his .17 Mousefart on Buff, perhaps.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Paladin. My memory just isn't good enough to lie well. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This flashes me me back to a saying that I remember from the 60's... "money talks, bullshit walks, personality 50 cents a shot".

------------------
there's a fine line between hobby and mental illnes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jhook, PLEASE......

I've told you a billion times - "Don't exaggerate!"

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
I don't care for liers. and I have a real hard time bitting my lip and shutting up. One of the nice things about this sight is the general sence of honor and comradery I get here. Oh sure there is still those how will spend their time causing problems. but every group has them. For the most part I have found this to be a great group of folks.

Jhook! Your a Baaaadddddddd man!
X-Ring

------------------
Sinner, saved by God's unfailing grace!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been around here for a long time, had some duzzie arguments with some and that,s OK, I defend their right to their opinnion as I do mine...if I'm wrong then I have apoligised and I have gone off the deep end a couple of times but that's just the way it is, it's the cowboy way, sometimes I regret it and sometimes I don't!

A lot of knowledge on this board and I have sold a lot of hunts as a result of posting here and thats always good. I have made a lot of lifetime friends and get to visit each year with many of them at SCI, I really enjoy that..Some on here have been friends for many years. I have never met anyone personally on this board that I did not like, have posted with some whom I disagreed with on certain issues but that is what makes for good learning experiences, otherwise it can get pretty boring around here, we need that spice from time to time, but it should never effect the friendships or the comraderie, it is simply a disgreement. Some don't like or understand my since of humor and mistake it as whatever but what you see is what you get.

It is the best place on the internet to waste your time.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42165 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Are you guys trying to say some of this stuff is BS?
I'm shocked!
Seriously, I do try to keep straight. Young people are reading this, wouldn't want to give them a wrong impression.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote