THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best factory rifle for a buddy in 300 WSM??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best factory rifle for a buddy in 300 WSM??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My best buddy has the itch to begin hunting. I have been his inspiration thru college and other outings, and he is now ready to pick up a rifle. Whether it sounds like it or not, I am very knowledgeable on all aspects of shooting and rifles.....but I have all of mine built as I am a lefty.

He knows some jargon, but is depending totally on my advice. He wants something slightly exotic for big game. I am choosing a 300 WSM for him, and now searching for a rifle.

What options are there?? Accuracy is a pretty big concern. I am leaning towards a Winchester Classic in stainless. The stainless steel is a big bonus. A syntheic is a plus.

Just trolling for possibilities as my dial up in Poedunk, New Mexico is 28,800 and downloading each manufactures site will take a few days.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
If your looking for accuracy out of the box, my first three choices would be Tikka, CZ, and Savage. I would probably select Tikka only because I like the feel of their rifles, but I'm not certain if they offer a 300 WSM.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
My buddy shoots the Winchester M70 classic stainless/synthetic. Very good shooter, sub MOA with the factory Fail Safe ammo, and zero tweaking to the rifle. My only problem is I don't like the cheapo plastic stock, but everything else is good.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you don't mention a budget or time as a restraint I would order a Montana SA SS M 1999 and have a local smith install whatever premium barrel that you like. Order a stock and you will have the best of the best for maybe $1200 and a 6 month wait or so. www.montanarifleman.com/whatsnew.html

If you need the rifle right now order a M 70. It's the class act of the standard guns. Hopefully you have a SA stock he can borrow while you two figure out what to use. That factory plastic stock has a very hard recoil pad and in general is not a keeper. At least the SS 7mm WSM did that I got last fall. I had to do some work on my stock screws and magazine box. Not anything that you can't do or a beginner would know what to do.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion that is boringly accurate. Anything I put in it shoots well, under an inch. It's barrel is pencil thin, it's light, and I like the removeable clip.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Model 70 Stainless Classic is a fantastic rifle. If one doesn't like the cheap stock it can always be replaced. I have three and have threatened to change all of them but as long as they shoot well I guess I'll just shoot them like they are. IF IT AINT BROKE,DON'T FIX IT

one of us
posted Hide Post
If price is a big consideration it is hard to beat the Savage out of the box. You may not like the appearance of the barrel nut but the guns are shooters!

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Model 70 in the laminated/blue version in 300 WSM. I am a true rifle lover...and this one is quickly nearing the top of my favorites. It feels wonderful and shoots great. My current load is aggin' 3/4" at 100 yards. Personally, for a big game rifle, I can't expect too much more than that out of a production rifle.

Its my opinion that the Winchester will definately serve your buddy well. There are just too many reports out there of good shooters versus bad shooters. There have been a few reports of poor feeding, but as for mine, there have been zero problems.

I hear that the Brownings are great, as well, and Tikka and Kimber are supposed to be bringing the WSM out in their rifles, too. All three would probably be great choices. Then there is the Savage. Admitedly, they have a reputation of shooting with the best of them. If appearance means nothing to your buddy, there is another great avenue. [Wink] Personally, a rifle should be just as pretty as the groups it prints! [Big Grin]

Since my experience is with the Winchester, that is the direction I would tend to point you and your buddy in.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I would say it depends on the budget for this rifle [Smile]

I would look for a Sako or Tikka from factory or to use for re-barreling [Smile]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
This guy may only get or need one "game" rifle. He is not going to need a custom built gun yet. I am the one with the Montana Rifle project. I asked him his budget right off. He said he could probably swing a grand. I didn't want to post it because I may not burn up all of his money and use the remainder for a Texas hunt (he lives in Ft. Worth, and I'd like to go set up his rifle and do a two day exotic of some sort).

For that much cash, I can get him set up with a rifle/scope combo. Again I can lean either way. I could try to do him with a stainless/synthetic/Leupold VX-II, and he's be set for anything in the US, save extreme bears and he could do them well. Or chum him along and get him addicted to rifles and hunting by leaving "gaps" to fill.

I was and am originally leaning towards the Model 70 Winchester. I steered a local buddy here into one, but the cheap son of a bitch left it set in the box without shooting it for lack of scope until he moved. A fellow named Brad who posts here is the only reason I am or was hesitant. I thought he had some trouble bedding his and getting it to shoot right???? I've bedded several and get better each time. I do recall looking at the "factory" bedding in the lug area on these rifles. Looks like some type of resin epoxy square.

Glad to hear the accuracy reports of the Classis 70 though. I do know that a store called Chester's in Long Island, New York has them for $539 I think. This is where the other guy ordered his thru. I don't know if my Texas buddy can wheel and deal solo, trying to get a gun shipped from NY to a Texas dealer. The idiots at the gun stores will have one on the shelf for $745 or something and tell you they'll let you ship a gun in to them for $20-$25. Why not just charge $559 or so an keep the sale???

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
I'm patiently waiting for the Kimber 8400...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second that Kimber

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have him get the Model 70 classic stainless. I got two Model 70's chambered in 300 WSM. Both of these guns shoot so well with 180 grain fail safes I don't even plan on reloading for them.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse, make sure your friend is happy shooting a .300 before he splashes out. Not all beginners like to start as high as that in terms of recoil. I know the .300 WSM is SUPPOSED to recoil less than a .300 Win Mag, say. But a 180 grs bullet at 3000 fps is 180 grs at 3000 - regardless of the size of the case. Maybe a bit difference, but it probably won't be a bunch.

Get him a caliber he is happy to shoot well, that is cheap enough to shoot a lot. There are a ton of calibers that will do the job.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He and I used to shoot a single shot 10 gauge for laughs with max loads at clay targets. He wants to try a 460 Wby as well. I understand a flinch could develop, but this guy is into the recoil in a sadistic way. He's shot a bunch of my "bigger" guns, he'll do OK.

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 05-13-2003, 02:57: Message edited by: Jesse Jaymes ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Jaymes:
He and I used to shoot a single shot 10 gauge for laughs with max loads at clay targets. He wants to try a 460 Wby as well. I understand a flinch could develop, but this guy is into the recoil in a sadistic way. He's shot a bunch of my "bigger" guns, he'll do OK.

Does indeed sound like recoil is not a worry ... [Wink]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

The "recoil pad" on the SS M 70 Classic is as hard as a rock. I shoot a lot, so much in fact that only really getting hammered bothers me. But that pad is so hard that I was putting a slip on pad over it at the range. That plastic stock in general is not a keeper I don't think.

While SS is cool the need for another stock is going to drive the cost up. Better to go with the blue/wood. I have not seen the pad on that model however.

Mine came with the magazine box too deep for the stock so I cut that. Then the rear guard screw was too long and bottomed in the blind hole. The threads for the middle screw were not long enough either so they had to be cut more. Those are 1/4-32's so not everyone has the stuff to do this.

I think the M 70 is worth it. My rifle shoots so well now that I am not going to post it. It has the smoothest chamber and bore I have ever seen on a factory rifle. I am upgrading the stock again and getting an even better scope for it. This rifle is a varmint rifle right now and shoots like one!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To elaborate on Savage99's suggestion on the recoil pad on the wood Model 70, its not hard, but not soft either. It is a solid pad that does give when you push on it with your thumb, but not as much as...say, a ventilated pad on a shotgun. I have not "tested" it against the stainless gun's pad to be able to give a comparison.

I will say that the blue/laminate rifle in 300WSM is not a hard kickin' rifle, and I have absolutely no problem with it at the bench in nothing other than a T-shirt. But then, I have shot "big" rifles with steel butts all my life, so I am a bit acclimated to recoil.

Personally, I would liken the 300WSM to a bit more than a .30-06 Springfield...and a whole lot less than a .458! [Big Grin]

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote