THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    North American big game - cabin advice revisited

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North American big game - cabin advice revisited
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
In my quest to obtain a new cabin for me and my kids (and Mrs. teat_hound too, I guess), I have narrowed my search to 3 states: Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. However, having not hunted in either of these states yet, I need a little advice for good hunting locations.

I'm thinking about bear, deer, and elk (maybe moose and antelope too). Would anyone who has hunted in these states care to recommend an area or two for me focus on?

While I'll be hunting Colorado this fall, I've pretty much ruled that state out for the time being. Also, I've been looking here in California, but I think I'm too tired of this place to want to stay here for my best hunting years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted all 3 of those states. My favorite is Montana around the Libby/Troy area.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have hunted all 3 of those states. My favorite is Montana around the Libby/Troy area.

Thank you, Sir!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Challis, Idaho has all that you ask for. A friend of mine is selling his 3 acres on the Salmon River for $65K, and you could build whatever you want. 250 feet of river frontage, so spring steelhead fishing is possible also.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on realtors and check availibility and prices. I am in the market for an acreage or cabin also in Wy. But land is scarce and if it has a cabin the price is 200k plus on everything. Northwest realty has some Montana stuff and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than here.

http://www.northwest-national.com

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric I have made 11 bear/grouse hunts to the Troy, Libby area and one to the Eureka area.
My wife was with me on 10 of them.
All the people have been very nice. We have had several people tell us where to go to get a bear or grouse. Several people even tried to take us fishing. The town of Libby has a good gun store, and a good grocery store, Eureka is a nice town as is Troy, which is quite a bit smaller than the other two.
Look at a map and check out the west side of Lake Kocanusa. There are some cabin sites avialable there.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! This is just the sort of info I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

-eric