Tools

Man dies in coyote hunting incident
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
DNR General Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 28, 2019

MEDIA CONTACT: Joe Yarkosky, DNR Conservation Officer, (712) 260.1004 or Joseph.Yarkosky@dnr.iowa.gov or Alex Murphy, DNR Communications Director, (515) 729.7533 or Alex.Murphy@dnr.iowa.gov.

CLAY COUNTY, Iowa -- On January 27, at approximately 11:15 a.m., Clay County Sheriff’s deputies, Iowa DNR conservation officers and local emergency personnel responded to a report of a hunting incident near County Highway B53 and 160th Ave. in Clay County.

Kirk Struve, 47, of Granville, Iowa was struck by a round believed to be fired from another member of his hunting party. The incident occurred while Struve was coyote hunting with a large group of hunters.

Struve was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The investigation into the shooting is on-going and further information will be released throughout the investigation as necessary.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly why I don't get involved in stuff like that where you're not in control of others that will bang away with no thought as to where that round ends up!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The good ol boys here in Iowa "party hunt", wherein large groups of them enter the field and blaze away.
And the state allows such nonsense whilst deer hunting; you can kill all the deer you want, as long as there are enough tags in the "party". I never understood the rationale.
It is a wonder more don't get killed.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Party hunting in Iowa is about as far from what true hunting is about as you can get and I agree 100% that it's also an accident waiting to happen!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I knew Iowa is not running out of deer so their method of hunting seems to be conducive to conservation. There are a variety of ways that people hunt in this country and world don’t get too excited about it. And as the commercialization of deer hunting expands especially in Iowa it will most likely, through the forces of the market, eliminate party hunting as it’s not as profit generating. If a party hunt is too much for you then avoid it. I for one would thoroughly enjoy taking part in one of these so-called party hunts.

Accidents happen all the time do what you can to eliminate them, and proceed.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Iowa is 99.9% private land and all these hunts are only if you know someone. These party hunts are family and friend traditions that go back a long time. They don't allow new comers.
These farmers are mostly, not inclined to go commercial about it.
I don't participate in any hunts on private land as I know no one with any. Even on the Iowa Army Ammo Plant where I do hunt allows it as they generally follow state rules. When I see these large groups, I just go to another area.
They are not "so called" "party" hunts; that is what the state calls them. It is a very efficient method for killing game; used in Europe and is considered a social event and team sport as well. And right, since we so have many deer, all the state cares about is managing the population by selling so many tags. Who kills/fills them is not important.
They are unsporting and dangerous and accidents are not rare.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote