New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitters Tent recommendation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My partner nad I are looking for an outfitter tent. Lookig for some recommendations on brands. Probably want one around 12X14.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got mine at Cabela's years ago. Also checked out buying direct from the maker, but Cabela's price was better for the same tent.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cabela's Alaknak II is also a nice tent. I have been using mine for seven years.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know who makes the one cabelas sells? Also interested in why you like a particular brand and style. I know therte are several good makers but what about there tent which you users like the most. Inside poles vice outside ect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What climate will you be using it in? How far will you be packing it.

I have the Cabelas' Alaknak II and like it but it may not be right for you.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Call Reliable Tents and Tipis at 1-800-544-1039 or the Wall Tent Shop at 208-882-1791. They should be able to get you into a tent that fits your needs.

Leonard at Buckstitch Canvas in Cody, WY is good to work with too. 1-800-268-4426

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will be used four seasons. But will not be packing the tent.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I also have the Alaknak II 12x12 from cabela's and no clue who makes it for them. My buddy just got a real nice wall tent in Denver and I can't remember the name of the outfit who made it, there are 2 good tent makers in Denver both similar priced.
I ordered my tent from cabela's and I waited until I had a 10% off and then I asked them if they could take any more off and they did, then I asked for a break on the shipping and they did that too at cost instead of regular catolog shipping price. I feel like I got a deal.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I got a 12X14X5---Colorado Tent Company out of Denver. Good tent. My frame is made with 1" electrical conduit.

My 2 strong suggestions are----#1 make sure you get 5' side walls---4' are too short to stand up in & move around.
#2----Get zippers for the flaps. I've got "D" rings--in a strong winds they provide a gap for the wind/cold air to come in.

Let us know of your decision.

Checkout "Bugle" magazine also for tent makers. Good time to buy---I got mine on clearance--it was in early spring. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're not packing the tent, get the metal pole set for inside the tent. Works MUCH better than anything else and a big trouble saver to boot (hard earned experience speaking here...)

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Call Reliable Tents and Tipis at 1-800-544-1039. They should be able to get you into a tent that fits your needs.

+1. I ordered a 12x14 Bighorn model from Reliable last February and used it a couple times during the hunting season. The tent is well made and the customer service was fantastic.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
montana canvas makes cabelas wall tents. i have a montana canvas relite blend wall tent and love it. got caught in the ruby,s this fall with 4 inches of ice on the tent and it held up fine.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the motion on Colorado Tent Co. tents. I've had a 14x16x5 A Wall for years made by C.T.C., and it has stood up to extremely harsh weather with no problems at all.

Want the best frame angles made? (You make your own poles from 1" electric conduit.) Go here.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Fittings/Canopy-Fitting.aspx

A good A wall tent, a good wood stove, and a good interior frame and you'll have no problem with your camping.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 x 14 from Sheridan Tent, and my buddy has a 16 x 20 from Montana tent. Both are top notch we both have the internal metal frames and that is definatly the way to go, as long as you are not packing in. When you get yours, always put a plastic tarp over it when set up in snow country, it just slides off and the inside surface stays dry. I think it helps hold the heat in better too.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thnaks for the info. Some good suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
elkman, i wish i would have put a tarp over mine, it's still wet

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Davis Tent in Colorado makes a great tent.
http://davistent.com/html/Tents.html

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote