Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear discount hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
My operator in Alaska has a Combo Brown Bear & Black Bear hunt that is open from April 28 - May 7.

Normal price $15,500
Discount price $8000 + $4000 trophy fee on Brown Bear.

This is a boat based hunt, off a 53' yacht.

This is the first hunt of the season. They have had little snow, so he believes that the conditions will be favorable.

You see fewer Bears on this hunt, but usually the bears you do see are good Boars. Since the winter has been very mild, with little snow, odds are pretty good.

He shoots some of the biggest Black Bears in North America (true for most Boat based operators) His Brown Bear are good. Honest (no stretching) 8'6 to 9'0" is a reasonable range. I have had two clients shoot 9'3" Bears.

Since it is boat based, the difficult level is quite low. You need to be able to stalk a Bear along the shoreline. No long stalks, no climbing to speak of (usually). You spot the Bears from the tenders (small boats) and beach the boat away from the Bear and make the stalk.

Beautiful country and a good solid operator. Very good food and fishing is an option as well, when you have some down time or after the Bears are down. I have worked with this guy since '99. My clients have been luckier than average, all have at least shot a Brown Bear. (Only one wounded and not recovered.)

Call or e-mail for a reference list and outfitters phone number. You can talk to him about odds for the hunt.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote