THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    SCI offers reward for information on illegal black bear killings

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI offers reward for information on illegal black bear killings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
This happened in my backyard on a friend's hunting lease.

My avatar picture was taken less than a mile from where one of the bears was found.

http://www.katc.com/story/3761...-on-dead-black-bears

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement agents say they are seeking leads for two illegally killed black bears in St. Mary Parish.

According to a release, a citizen alerted authorities on Feb. 14, 2018, about a dead black bear that was located off of Humble Canal in a marshy area about 10 miles south of Franklin. Agents responded to the scene and found another dead black bear about a mile in a half away from the first reported black bear.

A necropsy revealed that both of the adult male bears were shot and illegally killed around Feb. 2 to 4, which was a weekend.

The Humane Society of the United States, the Acadiana Chapter of Safari Club International, the Safari Club International Foundation and LDWF’s Operation Game Thief program are teaming up to offer a reward totaling $5,500 to anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the illegal killing of these black bears.

Anyone with information regarding this illegal killing should call the Louisiana Operation Game Thief hotline at 1-800-442-2511 or use LDWF’s tip411 program. To use the tip411 program, citizens can text LADWF and their tip to 847411 or download the “LADWF Tips” iPhone and Android app from the Apple App Store or Google Play free of charge.

The hotline and the tip411 program are monitored 24 hours a day. Upon request, informants can remain anonymous.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:

The Humane Society of the United States, the Acadiana Chapter of Safari Club International, the Safari Club International Foundation and LDWF’s Operation Game Thief program are teaming up to offer a reward totaling $5,500 to anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the illegal killing of these black bears.

Stupid poachers. SCI teaming with HSUS? That's interesting and somewhat unexpected. That's like the NRA teaming with PETA. Very strange...

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
LA Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries reached out to SCI Acadiana chapter for help. The local chapter donated and also asked National for help and they complied.

I assume LDW&F reached out to HSUS in the same manner.

This is one of the rare cases where both groups share a common goal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bear can be a real pain in the ass. I am sure that leads to some getting whacked.

Good job Mike.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
A bear can be a real pain in the ass. I am sure that leads to some getting whacked.

More then one has been killed for good and proper reasons.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Maybe, but without justification and the ability to prove that it's still poaching.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2803 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It got so bad in my old home state of NJ before the bear hunt was started about 10 years ago(now banned since the unhinged lunatic democrat murphy took office)that they were in backyards while kids were playing. Some guy shot one as it attempted to break down his patio door (after getting no response from F&G or the police) and they tried to put him in jail at trial. Predators don't care about human emotions.

I hope SCI is in bed with the enemy to "keep them close".

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Stupid poachers. SCI teaming with HSUS? That's interesting and somewhat unexpected. That's like the NRA teaming with PETA. Very strange...

I think it's a wise PR move. We might see more of it in the future.

Mike, thanks for posting. You beat me to it! Wink

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote