New
Find
Notify
Tools

Controversial Hunting Issues...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, was just wondering if you could help me find some hunting issues that the public finds "controversial," such as baited huntnig, hunting with dogs, etc. No real reason for it, just though it would be an interesting topic to do some research on and maybe write something about it. Thanks in advance.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
canned 'hunts'

urban hunting, ie, bowhunting in cities.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Baiting
Rifles for turky hunting
scopes on muzzleloading rifles

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Albert

Having done all three of those where it is legal and knowing lots of people also who have done all three of those.

I see nothing controversial about any of those three

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
...some hunting issues that the public finds "controversial," such as baited hunting, hunting with dogs, etc. ...
Hey Justin, First off I agree with "pds's" premise(to paraphrase a bit), As long as it is a "legal" method of Hunting, I'm typically for it."(With weasle word "typically" added.)

Doc mentioned "canned Game slaughtering", which when done as shown in the recent Link where the Deer were bumping the fence in every visibal direction - I'm opposed.

However, when some call it the same thing when done on a large piece of property where the Game is able to fend for itself, not hand-fed, not entrapped in fence corners, with non-captive breeding, I'm reluctant to oppose it.
---

Grizzly Albert mentioned "Baiting" and I've no problem with it. I don't see it as very different from locating a stand of White Oaks with their HUGE sweet Acorns, a Pecan grove, a watering hole, or even a Scrape and Rub Line, then setting up to see what frequents those spots. You might not see exactly the one you are looking for right there, but you might off in the distance.

I've never Turkey Hunted with a rifle, but don't see any controversy there, or with scopes on a muzzleloader - when it is legal and SAFE to do.
---

I don't particularly like the concept of having "paid" Game Scouts. I try not to be critical of folks who can't find Game on-their-own, but it is fun to toss a few barbs their way. Big Grin
---

Seems to be more "controversy" among actual Hunters when it comes to the type of Bullet to use, where to place those Bullets on-Game and which type of Rifle action is best. It does get spirited when folks are talking from experience and someone is arguing with "second or third hand" non-experienced information. All those "arguments", or controversy, seems to derive from either a large lack of experience, a poor choice of words, or someone intentionally tossing the needle to someone they know it will aggravate Wink.
---

Re-introduction of the Wolf to areas of the country that were rid of them since the 1800's. It seems the DEMOCRATS under moscow bill actually believed they "knew better" about what was good for the Western States local population than the locals did. Same for ALL the Liberal buffalo-chip agenda. I believe the Wolf topic got a bit of controversy going if you use the "Find Feature".
---

I'd recommend that you go to the Library(do not use your own computer) and visit some of the anti-hunting web sites, you will find that they are opposed to ANY and ALL forms of Hunting. So, basically anything we Hunters do would be controversy from "their point of view".

Log on one of their sites(at the Library) using a bogus name and mention you think the NRA is an excellent organization. I'd think you might find some Ultra-Liberal Radical-Leftist(aka DEMOCRAT) oppinions that would rate as controversy. And be able to hone your "needling skills" at the same time. rotflmo
---

Just noticed in the 2006-07 Kentucky Rules and Regs that it is Illegal to hunt Squirrels with a Sling Shot. Apparently to keep people from randomly "Sling Shotting" rocks, marbles or ball bearings into nests - just to get things moving. No doubt the "Sling Shotters" of the entire world will find controversy there. cheers
---

Saw a fist fight begin over whether to hang a Deer head "Up" or "Down" for cleaning one time. Two fellows who apparently had been sampling the Liquid Corn too much. I didn't see the "controversy", since I've cleaned them both ways, on the ground, and on tail-gates.
---

Best of luck with the "controversial" paper. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in central MT "road hunters" seem to be stirring emotions a bit. They are seen as unlawful "opportunists" who hope for a shot at game, generally on properties they have no permission to hunt.
A few years ago they were tolerated unless they actually pulled a trigger. Now it seems that most anyone riding the roads in orange (or camo during bow) sre seen as slobs, too lazy to get out and hunt.
VERY interesting turn of events, in a State were usually people are very tolerant of others.

John Barsness even did a few paragraphs on Montana road hunters in an article a year or two ago in RIFLE magazine.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this fits but I have a problem about the youth hunt here in Michigan. The kids are allowed to hunt for awhile in Sept, they do have to be accompanied by an adult. I remember the anticipation the years prior to being legal, this the kids ar emissing out on. I also feel that if they are going to do it, they should have the kids shoot a doe. In an area that is experiencing a backward buck/doe ratio it is hard to take to see the papers plastered with little Johnny 11 yrs, old shot this 12 pt buck while hunting with his Grandpa., Does the boy even know the true value of what he just did? I think not. What does he do next? I feel this is a factor ruining our sport.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

The most controversial hunting issue in NZ is the use of 1080 poison to kill all mamals in our forests (apart from a native bat there are no indigenous mamals in our forests).

It is usually broadcast by aircraft dropping cereal baits over the targeted area to kill anything that is interested in a free meal. There is a deer repellant available to limit the by-kill of deer but this is rarely used as the eco-nazis are opposed to any mamals living in the bush.

1080 is also incredibly poisonous to dogs so hunters dogs are vulnerable to secondary poisoning if they eat a possum or rat.

There is a huge industry here that is dependant on the ongoing poisoning of our countryside. They buy off those who have their dogs killed by the stuff to keep things quiet.

Whole populations of deer are decimated wherever they do a drop and there is no appologies for the carnage they create.

A most shameful situation.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote