Notify
Tools

PA Spring Gobbler Season - Where?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
For my fellow PA Hunters out there in cyber land:

My son has just started hunting, and this spring he wants to go Spring Gobbler Hunting. Due to time constraints I can't get away for an extended period of time in my normal hunting area in Tioga County (I live in lower Bucks County outside of Philly), so I'm looking for somewhere a few hours from Philly to go. He's 13 and still in school so I'm looking for places to go on Saturdays.

Anyone have personal recommendations of public land that is productive within a few hours drive of Philly? Any comments are appreciated. I will be doing the calling, he'll be doing the shooting.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you might have.

V/r,

Paul

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
You may want to try out and around French Creek State Park. That isn't far from you. One of my previous co-workers son has taken a couple of birds from there. I honestly couldn't tell you what the hunting pressure is, but his success has come during weekdays. On a personal note I've have seen more birds the last few years in Chester Co., but nothing on a consistent basis or area.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Highlander7:

Taking a new hunter (my son) for turkey, well, I might as well take a brass band. But I support his love for this sport. Just being out there in the woods with him for some quality time is reward enough for me. I'll check out recommendation.

Again, thank you!

Paul

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote