Find
Notify
Tools

.25-06 Enough for Black Bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
I have a .25-06 that I use for deer hunting. However, this year I am hunting in a region where black bear also live. With a 115 grain Barnes X bullet, can I shoot a bear if I see one?

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Yes.It will work just fine,,,,

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

<Big Stick>
posted
Biggest one I ever killed,was with a 25-06. He never knew what hit him..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
absolutely!

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
I can already tell you that you are going to get 100's of replys on this forum that you should use a 338 Win Mag at the least to take a Black Bear efficiently.

BUT,

The only black bear I have ever taken was with a 25-06 shooting my handloaded 117 gr. Sierra BTSP bullets. He was about 200 yards away, broadside walking to the right. You could hear the pop and he hit the ground to never move again!! Go for it!

Corey

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Please don't take this as a flame, it is not. If you can answer the second question with a yes, you can answer the topic question with a yes.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YES!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Salt>
posted
The .25-06 is a great rifle for open country.

If hunting bear in the brush then I would opt for a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs.

<ovis>
posted
No problem. Do it & best of luck to you.

<T/Jazz>
posted
I always thought that it was according to the size or weight of the animal that one should consider before choosing and using a particular caliber rifle. If so the normal size black bear say is 250 pounds, would you still use the same caliber and load for one that happened to be say 600 pounds?

Please don't sneer at this post. I have a 25-06 but use my 30-06 (180 Noslers) for a black bear Ok. I have heard of some blackies being as much as 800 pounds........So do you still shoot that big boy or pass with the 1/4 bore?

<Big Stick>
posted
Mine according to girth charts,exceeded 600lbs(62" chest circumference),squared over 7-1/2' and netted 21-12/16. He was no match for the 25-06/X combo.

Bullet selection,is much more important than cartridge selection,in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.........