New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Northwest Florida?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just negotiated my next set of orders for the Navy and find myself headd to Pensacola Florida this Sept. Anybody know what the hunting around there is like? I know there are whitetals and lots of hogs in the state, but don't know exactly where to head. I'm also close to Alalbama and would like to know about the opportunities there as well.

So, can anyone give me some advice? If anyone is in the area and wants to take an old navy guy out, I'll reciprocate with elk and mule deer in my native Colorado. Any takers?

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi ya Mac i am Robert and living in Pensacola send a kite or call me 850 393 9500

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,If I were you I would checkout the state regs. and see about tracking St.Vincents Island.I never been there but always wanted to go,i think they have Blackbuck & sambar/axis deer there.Also check with local gunshops/archery clubs,usually some of those guys are in hog hunting clubs. thumb
If you want to make the Drive a little farther north,i can put you on a hog a little south of macon,Ga.!PM if interested in a trade hunt.I will be going down on the ocmullgee river bottoms in a few weeks looking for a Boss Gobbler!Get your caller chalked up and your snake chaps and come on! thumbYou can use shotgun,bow,muzzleloader! beer

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the area between Tallahassee and Thomasville, GA. Most of the land there is private and lots of big plantations, but that is where the best quality trophy bucks will be in the state. The Ocala Forest area will have lots of little deer to choose from.

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
I just negotiated my next set of orders for the Navy and find myself headd to Pensacola Florida this Sept. Anybody know what the hunting around there is like? I know there are whitetals and lots of hogs in the state, but don't know exactly where to head. I'm also close to Alalbama and would like to know about the opportunities there as well.

So, can anyone give me some advice? If anyone is in the area and wants to take an old navy guy out, I'll reciprocate with elk and mule deer in my native Colorado. Any takers?

Mac

Might I suggest that when/if you approach private landowners/orporate land or hunting clubs you make it a point to go seeking permission to hunt in uniform...

It might not make a difference to some and if it doesn't you probably don't want to deal with them anyway.

But if your uniform does open doors that otherwise would be closed to you you'll
be meeting people you want to know.

Private land seems to be the way to fly in
most places, but in P'cola you are just across the border from Alabama

Florida has specific seasons for Feral hogs if hunting on public land, but on private land it's
a no closed season, no bag limits and If I'm not mistaken no license situation.

Alabama OTOH is only "seasonal" with bag limits in state managed WMA's. Alabama, Georgia And I believe Mississippi only require a Small game license to hunt feral hogs (yes even on private land).

Don't forget to apply for any special serviceman's license the state may offerSmiler

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MAC: I also have orders to P'Cola reporting this May. My in-laws live there and he belongs to a great club about 3 hours north in Alabama. Also, I have lots of folks there that can hook you up. I'm on NMCI so PM me with your email if you want more info. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you will much happier hunting just a couple hours north in Alabama or Ga. The palmetto bushes in Florida take some getting used to. I do all my hunting in Lumpkin Ga but is sounds like Jorge has a nice opportunity for you in Bama.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You should look into hunting on Eglin AFB. The base covers something like 300,000 acres and a lot of it used to be open to hunting.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont forget Tyndall too. I believe they have a hunting preserve too. I have never had the chance to get up there. I believe Moody AFB might have some too.

Avon Park is someplace to go if you are ever down south. I believe military can hunt hogs year around there.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I just got back from an excercise at Tyndall yesterday - saw plenty of deer and turkey, plus heard some coyotes at night. A special permit and special rules apply, as you might expect, but it appears that there are some good opportunities.

Try this link for some starter info:
http://www.floridagameandfish.com/hunting/whitetail-deer-hunting/FL_1205_01/

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote